Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

[MB] Can I change my IP address quickly on Shaw?

I'm in Winnipeg and was wondering if Shaw offers proxy servers so I can change my IP address. I need 3 different IP addresses that I can select at any given time. It would be ideal if they didn't change but that's low priority.

If they don't, are there any Winnipeg proxy servers available?
Someone suggested using a hub that would assign a different IP address to each connection. Would that work?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
proxy.wp.shawcable.net
proxy.cg.shawcable.net

Both go the the same proxy farm, but they often resolve to differnet IPs, so you can get a different server most of the time changing 'cities'

If you are using a bridged modem, either the Motorola's or the Cisco/SMC in bridge mode, you can usually request 2 DHCP addresses (using different devices or MAC addresses)
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
Not sure if the modem they use now is bridged or not. Haven't picked it up yet.
Shaw today told me they have something called Free IP or Free 2nd IP where you just request it and power down your modem and you get another IP after a few minutes. I'll try it when I get set up. They also told me they no longer offer any proxy service. Have you used those addresses recently? I often get totally different information each time I call them.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
Yes, the proxies are still active

FreeIP is the billing code for multiple IP addresses (2nd IP included), if you have two IPs on your account/modem, you can access both IPs at the same time, 2nd router, or your router and a computer direct to the modem, or other scenarios

You don't need to power down the modem to use it though, only when first getting it added to your modem, your modem reboots
--

dsl2u

CANADA
So without powering down the modem, how do you switch IP's? Do you log in through the IP address to change it like on my DSL modem?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
If your modem is set for two IPs, plug another device into the modem and it will get another IP, or change the MAC address of the device connectng to the modem (your router), and it will get a different IP.

If use use the modem in router&wifi mode, this will not work.
--

Bandito

join:2003-01-23
said by kevinds:

If use use the modem in router&wifi mode, this will not work.

How do you prevent your modem from going into router and wifi mode?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Ask a Shaw rep to bridge your modem, then it is a modem only device

Bandito

ah. bridging....configuring your router to so it acts only as a modem.
btw, i hear shaw's routers are POS. is that true?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
Yes and no, they are crap, but for many users, they will work fine, my Cisco modem/router bridged, is very stable - my only complaint is if the power cable moves about 1 mm it looses contact even though it is still plugged into the modem
--

Bandito

I think for me, I might be one of the ones where I have issues with Shaw routers. I have an old reliable Dlink 524 that's starting to conk out. I've tried budget Belkin Routers from Costco, Retail Plus, and the Belkin has been the best of the ones I tried but still suffers from lag quite a bit. I'll be sending that back to Costco. I am back to using the Dlink since I have no lag with it. Btw, sorry for getting off topic, my bad.