spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Satch

join:2009-11-25

[TWC] Removal of Navigator's DVR Compensation

Unfortunately, it is scheduled to happen on the ODN boxes sooner rather than later, and the negative impact is intense. I created my own thread on this issue because it is strong enough to have its own thread Although I still have this feature, it's probably going to be gone within a couple weeks per the firmware upgrade. My thoughts:

I don't think TWC expected the negative feedback to be this strong. However, as to the removal of DVR Compensation, it is justified because there are too many customers with limited coordination ability who will no longer be able to stop the box on a dime, as the removal of this feature now demands. The removal of DVR Compensation is certainly one of the worst decisions regarding the design and implementation of the Navigator software that I have seen. There is no question that the negative impact of this features' removal has upset thousands of customers.

Hob or anyone, what's the best way to contact TWC for them to consider re-adding this feature?

Satch

You have my vote to put it back! I called twc today and complained. The courteous lady replied that she wanted it back as well but she had no say in the matter. I asked her to compile a list of all of the complaints daily and send it to her manager. We'll see how far that gets!

Elyria

join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH
reply to Satch
You have any links to explain exactly what Navigator's DVR Compensation is ? I've never heard the term used before.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
said by Elyria:

You have any links to explain exactly what Navigator's DVR Compensation is ? I've never heard the term used before.

it is similar to how Tivo does the compensation when hit play after fast forwarding or rewinding. The time warner cable iGuide in LA and Dallas boxes got that feature added in 2012 when the software was upgraded to R29 version of iGuide from the previous A28 version.

Satch

said by motorola870:

said by Elyria:

it is similar to how Tivo does the compensation when hit play after fast forwarding or rewinding. The time warner cable iGuide in LA and Dallas boxes got that feature added in 2012 when the software was upgraded to R29 version of iGuide from the previous A28 version.

I understand the MDN (legacy boxes, such as the non-C SA's and the boxes that are not Samsungs) are also going to lose this feature. It is already gone in some North Carolina areas.

I heard that a lot of East Coast techs would turn this feature off on new box installs. The grapevine says that this feature was removed because of a memory strain on the boxes having to buffer at different intervals based on the DVR Compensation setting. TWC plans new features for the boxes, and DVR Compensation had to be axed to make room for new features.

The question is, was it really memory being compromised or a fault in the Navigator software generating a memory leak, which slowed down the boxes? There was considerable slowdown for the first ODN release of the Black Guide (ODN 5.2.07) especially on multiple search listings of the same title. That speed was improved in ODN 5.2.09 with a patch, BUT there was still slowdown lag in about 3-5 week increments where reboots were needed. ODN 6.0.19 has been very stable with no speed lag and the .019 suffix retains the DVR Compensation.

I would like to get confirmation as to how DVR Compensation's loss improves the Navigator system or the customer experience. Maybe it will come back in a future build.

Satch

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to Satch
"I don't think TWC expected the negative feedback to be this strong."

Define Strong.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tech Hiker

join:2012-11-23
reply to Satch
They're going to remove it? Heck, mine finally started working correctly about a month or so ago after not working well at all for the past year or so.

Satch

reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"I don't think TWC expected the negative feedback to be this strong."

Define Strong.

Hob

Strong in terms of opposition to the feature's removal. I am trying to find any customer responses that favor the loss of this feature. Have not been able to, yet. We'll see what happens.

I know a lot of calls have been coming in complaining about its removal. I don't know if customers are calling just wondering what happened to the feature, or if its actual complaints.

I agree that it does not necessarily mean its gone forever. I talked to a customer who spoke to a CSR and the CSR was upset that the feature was gone, because she really liked it. The customer asked, could they start compiling a list of people calling about the DVR Compensation's removal. The CSR said she was going to do that and send it to the division manager.

I actually tried setting my DVR Compensation to "Less" just to get used to the lack of back up time, but it's too hard for me. so when it goes away completely it will be guesswork.

What might help some subs is to instead of FF through commercials at 4x the speed, go to 3x the speed. You could use the Instant Replay too, but that's a lot of guess work as well.

Satch

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
"Strong in terms of opposition to the feature's removal. I am trying to find any customer responses that favor the loss of this feature. Have not been able to, yet. We'll see what happens."

Can you point me to something that reflects opposition to its removal?

Other than one post in this thread I dont see much.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Satch

said by hobgoblin:

"Strong in terms of opposition to the feature's removal. I am trying to find any customer responses that favor the loss of this feature. Have not been able to, yet. We'll see what happens."

Can you point me to something that reflects opposition to its removal?

Other than one post in this thread I dont see much.

Hob

Oh, but the complaints are there Hob. Check this thread at the TWC Community Forum:

»forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Eq···224#U224

Satch

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Satch
Woke up to my TV and box being off. I started it up and noticed right away that that DVR bounce back is gone. Too early to say if I'll miss that feature going forward.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

Zupper
Premium
join:2002-12-28
Novelty, OH
reply to Satch
I don't understand who wouldn't want/use this feature. Nobody can stop before or even at the point where they want to, due to reaction time. So why do I want to have to stop, and then do a little bit of rewind to get to the point I really want to be?

If you FF at the slowest speed, the over-run is obviously the least, but that makes it longer to get through the stuff you want to.

If this is contributing to other problems, instead of fixing this feature, their solution is to just remove it? Frustrating.

Satch

If you have lost this feature, thankfully, Wisconsin still has it, you can hit the Replay button after hitting play to sort of go back to where you were before.

Satch

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to motorola870

it is similar to how Tivo does the compensation when hit play after fast forwarding or rewinding

And therein lies the problem. This is a TiVo patented feature.

»www.google.com/patents/US7493015
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Satch
ODN boxes in the Raleigh market were "upgraded" this week, and DVR compensation is gone as expected. This has made one of the most mediocre (at best) DVR experiences in the industry even worse. Commercial skipping is much more annoying than it needs to be now.

If memory usage is the reason for the removal (and I don't think it is), they need to stop deploying boxes with too little RAM. If patents are an issue, they need to state this.

I thought TWC was going to finally make Navigator better, not worse... I guess I'll just have to keep lowering my expectations until I finally get fed up and dump the TV service all together.

ds5v50

join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH
reply to Satch
Our dvr was nixed this morning. No more compensation... This really sux.. I hope enough gripes gets it brought back. I relied on that option 100%..

ds5v50

Fremont, OH
reply to Satch
said by Satch:

If you have lost this feature, thankfully, Wisconsin still has it, you can hit the Replay button after hitting play to sort of go back to where you were before.

Satch

This is what I am doing now to combat this issue.

Please TWC bring it back..
--
Fremont, Ohio Weather
»www.Fremont-OH-weather.com

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH
reply to Satch
Ours got the hit this week (central Ohio) and it is indeed a pain rewinding after fast forwarding through each and every commercial break.
But hey, we are TW customers and we should be acclimated to taking it up the bum.

Satch

TWC Navigator DVR Compensation Removal,

Customers upset with the removal of DVR Compensation might want to try to get an answer as to the removal of this feature, by contacting the office of the President for TWC Consumer Affairs here:

»consumerist.com/2008/11/04/reach···rvice-2/

I have heard that as long as you are professional in your communications with them, this office has been able to help when other options have failed. Post if you get any feedback going this route and what new features might be coming in lieu of DVR Compensation's removal.

Satch

PS. It is still on the boxes here in Wisconsin.

Satch

Found out the real reason from a TWC source regarding DVR Compensations's removal from Navigator:

It has to do with a patent issue with Tivo:

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,24···um=email

Satch

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
"Found out the real reason from a TWC source regarding DVR Compensations's removal from Navigator:"

What does a TWC source have to do with it?

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Satch

said by hobgoblin:

"Found out the real reason from a TWC source regarding DVR Compensations's removal from Navigator:"

What does a TWC source have to do with it?

Hob

I asked an insider about this because so many people were coming to me with questions-could I find out why DVR Compensation was taken out, and they weren't getting any help. (From TWC.) I don't see why people would be so upset over the loss of this feature as to lose sleep over it. He just sent me the link. It's not really an inside source, he is connected with TWC and gave me the link.

Due to the TWC community interest with regards to the removal of this feature, I was interested in the official reason myself.

At least, now we know.

Satch

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
"Due to the TWC community interest with regards to the removal of this feature, I was interested in the official reason myself."

I don't see anything "official" in an article from early last year.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Satch

1 edit
said by hobgoblin:

"Due to the TWC community interest with regards to the removal of this feature, I was interested in the official reason myself."

Hob

All I can go on is what the guy gave me. I think without knowing the source code for DVR Compensation and the ATG's programmers' reasoning, one can't say for sure. I now got another link from AVS that says the suit was settled. (More current date:)

»www.engadget.com/2013/06/06/tivo···lawsuit/

Satch

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH
said by Satch:

said by hobgoblin:

Hob

All I can go on is what the guy gave me. I think without knowing the source code for DVR Compensation and the ATG's programmers' reasoning, one can't say for sure. I now got another link from AVS that says the suit was settled. (More current date:)

»www.engadget.com/2013/06/06/tivo···lawsuit/

Satch

Thanks I think things just got much clearer. As djrobx mentioned, "This is a TiVo patented feature", then part of the settlement most likely included "removal of any automatic playback overshoot correction system" from the DVRs.
--
There's nothing big I want to prove,
No mountains that I need to move,
Or even claim what's right or true for you.

dragnoak

join:2011-11-14
Racine, WI
reply to Satch
As of 7/11/13 it's now gone in S.E. Wisconsin. Actually, I don't miss it.

ds5v50

Fremont, OH
reply to Satch
I just wanted to add to this thread, As a visually impaired TWC customer this has really put a bind on my DVR use. I relied heavily on this feature to not roll past my recording. I now use the roll back button or what ever it is listed as. depending on how far I missed the stop I might have to push it a few times.

Satch

Yea,

Gone in Wisconsin as stated above. I am sort of getting used to going 2x or 3x out than hitting the Replay. arrows button.

Satch

ds5v50

Fremont, OH
Yes, Thats it.. The replay buton.

Dorn4ever

@rr.com
reply to Satch
Gone in wisconsin. At least in oshkosh. I want directv back. Used quite a few companies and they are the best. And when people complain that satellite goes out from storms it really only happens a few times a year for usually only a half hour or hour and I just watch something I have recorded. Oh yeah and TWC goes out sometimes too in bad storms when the power isn't out I don't know how or why. time warners customer service is junk too