Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

Re-using modem on a 'new' account

This is a bit of an odd question in that before I call tech. support I'd like to ask you guys about it..

I'm in a current living situation where I may relocate anywhere from 2-8 months from now. I have internet through CableOne on a relative's account. We heard about the new changes to the 50 meg tier but need a new D3 modem as my old SB5101 just can't support the new speeds.

Simply put, I'd like to get a new modem, upgrade to the new speeds then whenever I move I'd like to reuse the modem under a new account in my name. When I move the previous account will either be downgraded to VoIP only or closed completely.

Will this work?
Pashune

Pashune

Premium Member

Went ahead and called tech. support anyway. They had a little trouble understanding my inquiry at first but said it'd be no problem to re-use the modem again on a new account so long as it's no longer tied to the old one.

jasonkradiog
@cableone.net

jasonkradiog to Pashune

Anon

to Pashune
Can't see any reason why it wouldn't?

I bought my last modem used. Worked just fine. They get the numbers from you at the cable company and authorize it and all is good. They might have the ability to blacklist a modem. Like say it was one of their rentals and someone didn't bring it back. But should have no problem using the same modem on an account, disconnecting, and resubscribing with a different account.