bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to Snypes

Premium Member

to Snypes

Re: Sonic Fusion in North San Jose?

Super. thanks. So I guess that if you stay within ATT and you want to go back from UVerse to regular internet DSL, they really don't allow it (probably for marketing reasons).
bigboy
join:2000-12-04
Palo Alto, CA

bigboy

said by bbear2:

Super. thanks. So I guess that if you stay within ATT and you want to go back from UVerse to regular internet DSL, they really don't allow it (probably for marketing reasons).

Or maybe this is the double-secret way of changing your Central Office.

(not willing to risk it myself….)

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
said by bbear2:

Makes sense, because UVerse is their new network with all the shiny new gear. Their old DSL service is circa 1998 ADSL1 with ATM backhaul, and some portions are quite congested.

Fusion is OUR new network with no congestion and all the shiny new gear. =)

-Dane
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

said by DaneJasper:

-Dane

I'm not sure if this question makes sense but what physical network does FUSION runs over? Is it the internet DSL or the Uverse? Or is it something your owned by Fusion alone? How does this work? And where/what exactly is the shinny new gear?

I'm confused because I thought every ISP had to use the same copper & fiber.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

said by bbear2:

said by DaneJasper:

-Dane

I'm not sure if this question makes sense but what physical network does FUSION runs over? Is it the internet DSL or the Uverse? Or is it something your owned by Fusion alone? How does this work? And where/what exactly is the shinny new gear?

I'm confused because I thought every ISP had to use the same copper & fiber.

Fusion is neither AT&T DSL nor their UVerse, it's totally separate.

Fusion Broadband+Phone is Sonic Telecom's equipment entirely, both for the data and voice portion of the service. We lease only the copper pair itself from the incumbent operator - our data and voice equipment is colocated in the central office and connects directly to the copper line to your premise. This makes us a "facilities based" competitive carrier, as opposed to a "resale" one.

So to your point about the copper, yes, everyone uses the same copper, but what's on the other end varies. Either it's resale of the incumbent's DSLAM, or it could be separate, dedicated equipment.

-Dane

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to bbear2

MVM

to bbear2
You are correct about the telco copper pair between your home and the CO. Inside the CO is where Sonic installed the "shiny new gear" which provides the Fusion service (combination of ADSL2+ DSLAM and POTS). Sonic is also using their own backbone connections (dedicated circuits) instead of shared bandwidth.

With legacy DSL AT&T provided the DSLAM which could either reside inside a CO or in the neighborhood (RT). The copper pair goes from the home to the DSLAM while the RT is either coax (T3) or fiber connected to the CO.
Traffic from those DSLAM was (probably still is) then carried on the ATM network to the ISP (depending on where the nearest POP of that ISP is, the traffic may travel for some distance over the AT&T network).

The problem with uverse is that physically it is many different things. It is best to think of uverse as a marketing term and not a specific technology (the line protocol on the copper pair can be ADSL2+, VDSL or VDSL2). Nevertheless, in many cases uverse will be a fiber connection between the CO and a VRAD in your neighborhood from where it will continue on the copper pairs into the home.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

1 recommendation

bbear2 to DaneJasper

Premium Member

to DaneJasper
DaneJasper, leibold,

Thank you. Those are two of the easiest to follow explanations I've ever seen on this topic. Well done.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac to DaneJasper

to DaneJasper
said by DaneJasper:

-Dane

Quick question, why Sonic decided to deployed ADSL2 Fusion infrastructure instead of VDSL2? I really dont understand why they do this. VDSL is newer, faster, and travel farther than ADSL2.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

said by PowerMac:

VDSL is newer, faster, and travel farther than ADSL2.

You probably meant VDSL2 here. VDSL was a different approach to provide high speeds over very short distances. However VDSL was useless at the distances typically covered by ADSL.
ADSL2 and ADSL2+ are performance enhancements over ADSL while maintaining the ability to reach a customer base that may be up to 2 miles away from a CO.
VDSL2 is largely based on those ADSL2/ADSL2+ enhancements. Like VDSL it offers very high speeds over very short distances. Unlike VDSL however, VDSL2 remains usable (at much lower speeds) at some distance.
If you study the speed vs. distance charts you will see that there is a point at which VDSL2 speeds drop to the same as ADSL2/ADSL2+ simply because at those distances the extra frequency range of VDSL2 (up to 30MHz) becomes irrelevant (the higher frequencies get attenuated too much over long lines). The maximum usable distance is therefore the same as ADSL2 too.

For customers at some distance from the CO (like myself) there would be no advantage of VDSL2 over ADSL2. However if I were closer to a CO, I would be asking for that VDSL2 upgrade myself

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
Santa Rosa, CA

1 recommendation

DaneJasper

Premium Member

VDSL2 would deliver gains for around 20% of our customer loops, and we do plan to deploy it when the equipment is ready, likely early next year. We've got to wait for Adtran to deliver the interface for the DSLAM platform.

-Dane