spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ozvoip

join:2013-03-20
united state

exclusive contracts, ever heard of them?

Our HO association signed up a 10 years exclusive contract for cable use with a local cable service providers. The provider even paid us some money (it is a good money but if divided by 10 years and number of residents it is very little per year per house).

I do not have any more details than that. There are other associations in the neighborhood and residents who are not part of any associations. However they were not approach by the cable provider.

Is it common that a local and the only currently available cable provider would do this? Any idea as to what is their motivation?

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
The FCC Banned exclusive contracts in 2009

»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2009···e-deals/
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to ozvoip
The only problem with the FCC banning that is; it depends on if another court also would agree. One could argue the FCC has no rights over personal property which they don't. One could also argue that the residents have other options as well which makes their "ruling" a moot topic.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Sorry, you can say that about almost every regulation ever put into effect at any time on anything, so until it is overturned, exclusive contracts are forbidden.

Just to correct myself, the regulation was created in 2007 and the Appeals court decision backing the FCC was in 2009.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
The thing though is; the Appeals court can side with the FCC but if you look at their guidelines; property management and contracts is NOT something the FCC has powers to maintain let alone manage. The same as they are unable to manage the Internet. And the FCC does not create regulation they only create RULES.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to ozvoip
The apartment building I live in here in Atlanta has a similar arrangement with Comcast. We get Comcast "Broadcast Basic" channels included in our rent, but any higher TV package or internet service we must pay extra. Even though AT&T U-Verse is available in the neighborhood, they are prohibited from installing it in our building because of an exclusive contract with Comcast. My only alternative to Comcast for internet would be AT&T's anemic DSL service, which simply is not a viable option.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1