Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

WTF Gas?

It was going down and was at like $4.19. Then I go to work this morning and it's $4.40.

WTF is going on?

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Gas prices on my way to work vary in price from a high of $4.45 / gal to a low of $4.17 / gal. And the prices are constantly bouncing around. It's really stupid out there.
--
Gun control is being able to hit your target.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to Jon
Fluctuations in a global speculative commodity market, crude oil or gasoline for example, can be influenced by war(Syria's Assad and those who deal with his behavior), weather(hurricanes, tropical storms along shipping routes), the arrival of different seasons(cheaper winter gasoline vs. expensive summer gasoline), and increasing usage(summer vacations).

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
You forgo "because they can" or "because f*ck you, that's why"

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Jon
Supposedly, it's due to local refinery issues. It's not just Chicago and it's boutique gas blend, but much of the midwest.

»www.illinoisgasprices.com/retail···art.aspx
»www.mlive.com/business/index.ssf···pon.html

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
reply to Jon
shut up and get on your knees

»www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/05/···HPBucket

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
said by Dennis:

shut up and get on your knees

»www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/05/···HPBucket

Is that satire? WTF?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Jon
It must be a regional thing, I paid $3.41 a gallon at BJ's in Chicopee, MA. It also has to do with the local gas taxes. I always pay more in Maine (due to higher gas taxes) than I do in Mass.

My mother remembers 35 cents per gallon to be high and that was during the 1973 fuel crisis.

I think $3 per gallon gas is the new normal if you factor inflation. My generation is used to $1.29 per gallon.

Probably by the time I am my mother's age, $7-8 (or more) will be the new normal.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to andyross
There must be something going on in Illinois that is shooting up gas prices. I took that chart and added Boston and Maine (Maine is almost always higher than Mass).

»www.IllinoisGasPrices.com/retail···units=us

If gas gets that high here, I'll just go and buy a bus pass and only take the car when necessary.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Jon
It's called Speedway. They set the prices around here and everybody follows. You leave the Speedway markets and prices drop substantially.

Use this as a gage to know when the prices are going to jump or go down. This thread follows the spot prices and wholesale and gives the estimated price for the next day or so.

»www.illinoisgasprices.com/Forum_···=1&FAV=Y
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL
reply to Jon
$70 to fill up today. I'm glad I don't have a bigger truck...

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
gah. I put in $30 and it was barely over half a tank.

Parneli

join:2004-12-28
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to VegasMan
said by VegasMan:

It's called Speedway. They set the prices around here and everybody follows. You leave the Speedway markets and prices drop substantially.

Really? I know Gas Mart or something like that had the south suburbs cornered a few years ago and had high prices... but Speedway?

That's where I get 90% of my gas- fill up about every second or third day and at least where I am it's cheaper. Currently 20 cents cheaper than everyone but Costco and Sams.

weird

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to VegasMan
Gas prices can vary by city or town. Chicago is a major metro area and the local cost of doing business can be substantially higher in the city than out in the suburbs. Another factor is service stations close to highways can be higher as well. The service plazas on the turnpike are the highest, just like the McDonalds and Subways in the airports (secure areas) and in the bus terminals are always twice as expensive than the ones on the street as they have an advantage of a captive customer base.

Where I live, gas is cheaper in Chicopee than in Springfield even though Chicopee is the next town over.

I always refuel at BJ's as I get a member discount.

Another thing is Connecticut has higher gas taxes and higher gas prices. Many of their residents come to Mass to refuel. FL Roberts (service station chain in our area) has a billboard on I-91 south advertising the West Columbus Ave Sunoco station as the last gas in Mass.
--

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
Additionally, CT and IL are two of the seven states that levy general sales taxes on gas, on top the fixed motor fuel taxes. We get hosed twice.

»taxfoundation.org/article/state-···009-2013
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Elgin, IL
reply to Jon
I paid $3.39 in Kentucky and Tennessee this weekend.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
reply to Jon
Paid $3.91 in Southern California. It's been hovering around $4.00 for a few weeks here.

cwm1276

join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL
reply to Jon

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to djdanska
said by djdanska:

Paid $3.91 in Southern California. It's been hovering around $4.00 for a few weeks here.

I'm trying to remember what's the most I have ever paid for gas in Illinois. I think it's somewhere around $4.30.

I know the most that I have ever paid, anywhere, was $4.79 in San Diego in 2008. It was pretty close to that when I was in the area again last October.
--

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
said by insomniac:

said by djdanska:

I'm trying to remember what's the most I have ever paid for gas in Illinois. I think it's somewhere around $4.30.

I know the most that I have ever paid, anywhere, was $4.79 in San Diego in 2008. It was pretty close to that when I was in the area again last October.

If you get gas in the nicer areas (for example, anywhere near hillcrest) you could easily pay $4.70 a gallon. The midway area is always cheap. sometimes 70 cents a gallon cheaper. Not any different getting gas downtown vs. dupage.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
Naperville, IL
I was very certain not to buy gas in Coronado last year at $5.19 for regular. Highest posted price for regular I've ever personally witnessed.
--

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
said by insomniac:

I was very certain not to buy gas in Coronado last year at $5.19 for regular. Highest posted price for regular I've ever personally witnessed.

oh totally still like that. I have no freaking what makes coronado so special to warrant $1.00+ increase per gallon.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

cbrigante2
Cubs 20??
Premium
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL
reply to Jon
I've been going to Woodman's since they finally put in some pumps that take a debit card at the pump. They normally beat the pair of Speedways near me by a couple cents a gallon. Even with that, it's still around $4.19 right now.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
Naperville, IL
I don't make it out there to buy gas often, but it's good to hear I can finally do debit at the pump there.
--

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium
join:2000-08-13
Morton Grove, IL
reply to StepR
said by StepR:

I paid $3.39 in Kentucky and Tennessee this weekend.

I moved to Southern, IL. area near Marion/Carbondale and I'm paying $ 3.56... Shop at Kroger and spend $100 10 cents less... Spend $200 and 30 cents less per/gal... These totals may added each month 'til you need to get gas...

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Jon
With the unrest in Egypt, oil prices are jumping. If you need gas, get it now. The price has probably bottomed.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
said by andyross:

With the unrest in Egypt, oil prices are jumping. If you need gas, get it now. The price has probably bottomed.

Gas was $3.53 yesterday at Costco out here in Algonquin.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
I was surprised to see it at $3.73 yesterday. I thought for sure with the holiday weekend it would sky rocket back to $4 plus..

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL
A friend of mine who is a pipe fitter has been working at the BP in Whiting, IN and said they finally got a "station" up and running which has increased production and that is why the prices have dropped slightly.

whamel
billhamel .net
Premium
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
kudos:10
reply to Jon
I just paid $3.23/gal Regular at Shell in Westmont, IL using the FRN card. I use the gasbuddy app so I notice the slight changes in price.
--
Bill - Hinsdale, IL - »www.billhamel.net