spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FPS gamer

@charter.com

High ping to charter coporate testing site?

Can anyone explain why when I used the speedtest for charter coporate site (the one for my area) I always get a ping higher then 30ms and the loction is only about 80 miles figuring from my house to home office to test server.

It seems charter has high ping rates everywhere and it ruins online gaming for FPS style games. I have called before and they ignore the problem.

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

Post some example traceroutes. Also, make/model of modem, signal levels, and make/model of router (if you're using one). Are you playing on a PC or console? Wired or wireless?

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to FPS gamer

Click for full size
Good ping here. and location is about the same distance.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to FPS gamer

What's wrong with 30ms ping time?

said by FPS gamer :

Can anyone explain why when I used the speedtest for charter coporate site (the one for my area) I always get a ping higher then 30ms and the loction is only about 80 miles figuring from my house to home office to test server.

It seems charter has high ping rates everywhere and it ruins online gaming for FPS style games. I have called before and they ignore the problem.

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
reply to FPS gamer

In addition, as you may or may not be aware, travel or linear distance doesn't mean much when it comes to network performance.

FOS gamer

@charter.com
reply to compuguybna

said by compuguybna:

What's wrong with 30ms ping time?

Its extremely high considering the proximity. It should if all things were normal in the 5 - 10 ms range. Most FPS inorder to play require ping times of 60ms or less. To be in State and local proximity with a 30 ping is poor at best.

FPS gamer

@charter.com
reply to passerby

said by passerby:

In addition, as you may or may not be aware, travel or linear distance doesn't mean much when it comes to network performance.

Yes I am aware of that. Im also aware that they sometimes mess up the routing tables and the signal goes global. Cherter used to do a decent job in the past but they changed about 3 years ago and as an ISP they went down hill. The reason for mentioning the proximity is that a high ping when not going that far deserves looking into. There could be any number of reasons making it higher. Its just a general rule of thumb. With todays high speed connections there really is no need to treat the signal with boost technology thereby increasing the latency of the signal and possibly degrading it.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
reply to FPS gamer

Be glad its 30ms. Coming from Satellite (1000ms) and mobile broadband (200ms), I tend to appreciate the speeds and latency with cable.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to FPS gamer

30 ms is not bad and is 10X faster than a human can blink

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:14
reply to FPS gamer

Post a trace route

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to FPS gamer

Yep,
Nothing wrong with that 30ms ping.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 48.56 Mbps (6.07 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3.71 Mbps (0.46 MB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 25 ms
Saturday June 08, 06:00:51 GMT-0400 2013
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

FPS gamer

@charter.com
reply to DrDrew

This one doesnt resolve to the direct server doing the testing.

This is the site:
»speedtest.charter.com/

It just says as the post earlier where the server is suppose to be. That address doesnt resolve to the server IP.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:14

1 edit

Click for full size
Just run the netstat on the command line during the speedtest, it'll show you which site it's connected to.

Around SoCal it's: »spt01mtpkca.mtpk.ca.charter.com

You'll often find latency through the flash speed test is 20-30ms higher than your actual latency to the site using trace routes or pings on the command line.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
reply to FPS gamer

I live across from St. Louis which has I guess they have a regional speed test server. I get much better pings from Chicago off their network.