Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits

Yahoo's 'Create Extra Email Address' link seems Broken

So y'all thought that it was bad enough that Yahoo is about to ram down our collective throats a 'New and Improved' user interface for their trusty ol' webmail system ?

»Yahoo email forced upgrade (again)

THEN, youse figgered that the added insult of Yahoo forcing a new ToS on us (by which we must agree to them scanning our emails for delivering targeted ads, else be locked out of our accounts, some have posted) was as bad as it could get ?

»Yahoo to Users: Let Us Read Your Emails or -- Goodbye!

NAAAHHHHHHH ! (IOW, "but WAIT, there's MORE !!!")

I do not know whether or not this next anomaly is a side-effect of the upcoming 'upgrade' and Yahoo running both systems at the same time at moment at THEIR end, but has anyone recently tried to click on the Settings link 'Create [an] Extra Email Address', and had it dump you into an endless loop of asking you to reconfirm your password, and not proceeding to the page where you get to suggest what extra email address to create ?

It does not say that you have entered the WRONG password, but just presents the confirmation screen over and over again.

(BTW, if you DO enter an incorrect password, it DOES tell you, so at SOME level it knows the difference.)

This problem has repeatedly happened to me since my first try on May 22nd, and I have not yet used my limit of one extra email address per Yahoo free webmail account, and I know other folks who have in the past done this successfully.

Furthermore, the Yahoo online help 'Support' system seems to be run by BOTs these days, and no matter what tests you tell it that you have done, it asks you do similar ones again, through a series of scripted pages, and NEVER directly nor specifically interacts with any info, questions, nor comments which you offer in your ongoing emails with it.

I should add that the same problem happens in both old and new Yahoo interfaces, with multiple PC's, OS's, browsers, and with various Yahoo IDs.

AAAAAARRRGGGGG !!!!!!

= = = = = = =

BTW, the new Yahoo WebMail interface is a horrible resource hog (memory), as well as being 'Change for the Sake of Change', IMNSHO.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

The 'Yahoo Answers' website, etc

This post will contain links to some places where I have already raised the above question and/or interacted with others who also had raised it, all without resolution.

These links show at least 4 threads of the same question as mine (now over a week old), and at least 7 participants who say that they have this issue.

Search : Problem Create Extra Email Address
»ca.answers.yahoo.com/search/sear···rch=true

Search : Create Extra Email Address
»ca.answers.yahoo.com/search/sear···rby=date

Threads :
»ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in···7AAZMlBV
»ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in···9AAIhNy6
»ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in···4AArgKgz
»ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in···8AAgFWIW

Since then, I have noticed at least 5 more threads at 'Yahoo Answers', all about the same problem explained in my OP :
»ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in···8AA9DnMx
»ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in···6AAxPhEM
»ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in···7AAh7Yt0
»ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in···5AAyYS2U
»ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in···1AApbBhB

It has also been discussed by Yahoo UK users :
»www.emaildiscussions.com/showthr···p=556218

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1
reply to Davesnothere

Re: Yahoo's 'Create Extra Email Address' link seems Broken

Are you trying to do this from an account that uses Yahoo! Classic Mail? I don't think Yahoo! is allowing any more new Classic Mail addresses (even if you still have access to your Classic Mail address).

It is possible Yahoo! would let you set up a new e-mail in the new Yahoo! e-mail interface using Create Extra Email Address from an existing interface e-mail account in the new system (assuming they have that link there).

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by runnoft:

....I don't think Yahoo! is allowing any more new Classic Mail addresses (even if you still have access to your Classic Mail address)....

So what exactly is a Yahoo 'Classic' email address ?

Regardless, I have tried to do this this both from within the old and new GUI, and had the identical issue - mentioned in OP, BTW.

I was about to post screengrabs of the related pages when I saw your post - I still will.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits

Classic Interface Menu

Click for full size
(YAHOO extra email address problem - MENU screenshot - Classic GUI - 2013-05a.jpg)

Classic Interface : Options > Mail Options > Accounts > Link : Create Extra Email Address

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

NEW Interface Menu

Click for full size
(YAHOO extra email address problem - MENU screenshot - NEW GUI - 2013-05a.jpg)

NEW Interface : Link : Create an extra email address

(Not sure of the exact sequence to get to this screen, as I am switched back to Classic GUI for now.)

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

Verify PW Screen - BOTH Interfaces

Click for full size
(YAHOO extra email address problem - Verify PW screenshot - BOTH GUIs - 2013-05b.)

With the Correct Password, it just repeats this same screen instead of proceeding.

(and if I enter an Incorrect PW, it shows the usual error screen for that)

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits

Well would y'all lookee here at what I just found !

»answers.yahoo.com/question/index···9AAwGY7l

It's still not solved, but this is the closest to an official statement that we'll likely get from Yahoo about this.

Typical corporate political non-answer !

And as usual, they say that only SOME users have had this issue.

I would REALLY like to hear from someone who HAS successfully created an extra email address in a Yahoo free account since May 22nd, and who has NOT run into this problem !!!

= = = = = = =

Now who wants to bet a dollar to a doughnut that something to do with Yahoo's new WebMail interface screwed up their server authentication ?!

Two Words come to mind : YAHOO UNDO !

--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11

Doesn't work for me. Or should not have commented since I verified your observation.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

said by NormanS:

Doesn't work for me. Or should not have commented since I verified your observation.

ALL comments are welcome.

Those folks whose accounts HAVE the problem are likely much greater in number than observed, as most do not even know about and/or TRY to use the feature, and out of those who DO know and try, most do not post anywhere about it failing, and only some of those who do bother to post will post here.

Actually, it looks like more of us have posted at the Yahoo Questions site, but DSLR posts usually get quickly into the Google search results, so the more folks who post ANYTHING about it here, the better.

However, I am still curious as to whether anyone has had success with Yahoo's 'Create Extra Email Address' link recently.

= = = = = =

Another angle :

Does anyone reading the current thread have a Yahoo PLUS ($20 per year) webmail account, and if so, do YOU currently have success using the 'Create Extra Email Address' link from within a PLUS account's options ?

So far in my searches, I have not read any reports of this failure from Yahoo PLUS subscribers.

After all, this 'problem' for us could be a thinly veiled money grab on Yahoo's part, if they have not [allegedly] also disabled this function in their PLUS accounts.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

Well folks, it's fixed. - Took long enough too - possibly a month.

Not sure what day they got 'er done, as they never told any of us so, not thru my 2 help tickets with their online support, not thru Yahoo Answers, NADA !

As I said in one of my comments in the below-linked page, typical corporate arrogance.

And this is the same Yahoo who wants us to embrace their awful new user interface ?

[sarc]
Right !
[/sarc]

»ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in···openions

No resolution even mentioned in the Y.A. thread in which THEY eventually allegedly acknowledged that there WAS a problem in the 1st place.

Shameful performance, Yahoo !

How was it that they make their money then ?
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by Davesnothere:

....No resolution even mentioned in the Y.A. thread in which THEY eventually allegedly acknowledged that there WAS a problem in the 1st place.

Shameful performance, Yahoo ! ....

And NOW they even go so far as to DELETE the above-linked post ?!

Big Brother rises again, and his name is Yahoo!