spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Melissa2009B
join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

[Connectivity] Tried installing a Netgear WNR3500 on my TG862. F

I'm not a network tech, by any stretch of the imagination. I am a former electronics R&D tech from the 60's and an intermediate computer user now. I can set up my own computer, wireless connections, things like that.

So about 6 months ago, we went with Comcast HSI with a TG862 wireless setup for here in the house. Two PC's and two Roku boxes scattered all over a 2300 sq ft approx 30x80' house.

Maybe it was a mistake of mine, but while in another thread here, some people suggested putting a router on it, for better more consistent speed. So a few months back, I picked up a refurbed Netgear WNR3500U/L N300. It got great reviews and is supposed to be high powered too, which would help at the furthest end of the house, with my Roku in my bedroom, which is at the furthest point from the wireless modem in the kitchen and is slow at times.

So people in that other thread told me that all I had to do was call Comcast support and tell them to put it in bridge mode, then hook an ethernet cable between them, but I was hesitant, being I'm not a network tech.

So I procrastinated. But today, we had a tech over here and I asked him if he wanted to make a few bucks on the weekend, off the clock, by helping me with this.

He said, oh, it would only take 5 minutes, he'd just do it. He took the Netgear router out and came back shortly, having given it a password and name, and he said he arranged with them to switch my modem to bridge mode. Cool. Then he said goodbye and good luck and had to get going to more appointments.

So I plugged it all in and configured the wireless in my PC first, to get it going. Wasted some time... but the best I could ever do was to get it to say that the wireless was connected with the router, but couldn't get full functionality. I could get Google on the web, do a search, but any other web page I'd go to wouldn't load. My email wouldn't load either, and Carbonite couldn't work. So something was screwy.

During the time that Google would work, I could find out some mention about a Netgear Genie software download. Did I need that, to get this box fully functioning?

Anyway, I switched it all back, removed the router and had them turn the wifi back on and take the 862 out of bridge mode again and I'm back on the net fully functional again.

Was I close to getting it working? What did I do wrong, or not know what to do?

R32Raines
Premium Member
join:2003-03-01
La Vergne, TN

R32Raines

Premium Member

Re: [Connectivity] Tried installing a Netgear WNR3500 on my TG86

Many routers these days require you to go through an initial setup process before they can fully be used, such as normal internet access. The Netgear Genie that you mentioned is most likely this situation.

I worked for a company that supplied public computers for hotels, and they sometimes had a simple Linksys router between them. They required a setup like this before they would access the internet or the hotel main network.

I would suggest reconnect the Netgear router, have Comcast setup bridge mode again on your modem, and then read the manual that came with your Netgear router about any initial setup, and follow its' instructions.

Good luck.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

Thanks, but will it REALLY be worth it? I mean, will there be such a speed or smoothness difference that it will be worth all the hassle?
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Your TG862 must be in bridge mode. Do that first if you have not (Must call Comcast for that).

The NetGear router does not HAVE to be set up via the genie.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

Well something was VERY wrong. I did have them turn off the wifi in the TG862 and put it in bridge mode, then hooked the ethernet port 1 to the router. Of course I then went and configured my PC wireless to talk to the router instead of the modem. The tech who was here assigned a name and password to the router for me. Got that playing ok.

But all I could get on the web was Google search ( I could do actual searches, but clicking on results hung ), and everything else just hung - stalled. Email wouldn't work, nor would Carbonite.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Hard reset the router. Configure it yourself via ethernet, not wireless.
Melissa2009B
Denver, CO

Melissa2009B

Don't use it wirelessly?
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

1 recommendation

ExoticFish

When you set up the router, you need to set it up via your computer directly connected to the router with an ethernet cable. It will make setup easier. And also, while you're doing that update the firmware if necessary.