spc
uniqs

Aozora
join:2008-11-28

2 edits

Aozora to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: [Caps] Comcast testing at least two different cap plans

Yeah and this is quite scary. I'm wondering if Comcast does implement such stringent caps if they will service the same apartment with two HSI plans since we currently use about 750GB on avg.These caps were good in 2007. But apparently stuff uses more bandwidth nowadays or it sure feels like it.

At $10 for 50GB we would have to pay about 80 extra and it's cheaper to just get another plan in that case.

In the image is a low usage month where I believe I watch one episode of a show online if that.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

If most of that traffic is from streaming video and Comcast goes to usage based video, then it would make more economic sense to subscribe to a cable or satellite video service.

I use about 35 GB per month between several Macs and several iOS devices. My video comes in through a DirecTV Slimline 5 SWM dish and with better video quality than Comcast's video offering.

In my opinion, video is best delivered through its own pipe as you don't have issues with buffering or bogging down your neighbors connection.
FirebirdTN
join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

FirebirdTN to Aozora

to Aozora
Some food for thought...

I know probably most businesses don't operate this way, but I couldn't help but think...

I get bandwidth usage reports from my router(s) at work. I also use the same line of router at home. We are operational 24/7, but business hours are 8-5.

Its no coincidence that bandwidth usage from 8-5 SOARS at work, but during off hours its minimal. Conversely at home, internet usage is at a minimum during our business hours.

Now we don't have Comcast at work *yet*, but I am just about to close the deal on bringing their service in so I can add some bandwidth to our network and do some load balancing.

I can't help but wonder what the "business" demand generally looks like at all hours of the day compared to the "residential" demand. I really wonder if they even come close to "balancing" out...

On topic, I am a heavy user. But I don't do torrents, and rarely do downloads. The vast majority of my usage comes from four Netflix capable blu-ray players. I got tired of paying that $100+ satellite bill.

-Alan

Aozora
join:2008-11-28

Aozora to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

If most of that traffic is from streaming video and Comcast goes to usage based video, then it would make more economic sense to subscribe to a cable or satellite video service.

I use about 35 GB per month between several Macs and several iOS devices. My video comes in through a DirecTV Slimline 5 SWM dish and with better video quality than Comcast's video offering.

In my opinion, video is best delivered through its own pipe as you don't have issues with buffering or bogging down your neighbors connection.

A lot of mine is video, but it's not video from networks like NBC, CNN, Comedy Central, etc. It's amateur video or video from friends accounting for a large majority of it. The rest of the bandwidth video usage is 1 hr of video daily from the South Korean tv network my roommate watches by subscribing to their online thing.

If I could say that I like to watch shows then I could subscribe to a bigger tv package and say wow I cut down 300GB from video I watch on the Internet through my ondemand tv feature but that's not the case at all in my situation as I'm not a very heavy TV show watcher. If the cap wasn't raised and we can't get another plan then we could consider a business plan if the caps are unlimited. It hasn't come to that but one of these days Comcast might implement their caps.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to FirebirdTN

Premium Member

to FirebirdTN
Comcast's network is split into "nodes" so depending on where your workplace is the node may be mostly businesses if you are in the central business district. Nodes in residential areas tend to get most of their loads in the evening and weekends. I am on a node that is split between residential and business customers since I live near a major shopping district (Eastfield Mall and surrounding shops/businesses). When my node (referred by the techs as node 3) started acting up, they took it seriously because of the large number of business customers hooked up to the node.

It would be kind of nice if they would split node 3.

With your business, I would look into getting metro Ethernet service if available, especially if QoS is critical.