share rss forum feed

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

New 'Elite' tier in red areas

For people in 'red' areas, our new 150Mbps download and 10Mbps upload package is now available.

To take advantage of the awesome new speeds, you'll need a D3 cable modem capable of 8 channel bonding. If you're renting a modem from us, that's automatically taken care of. You'll also need a router that supports a gigabit LAN interface and has the CPU power for the extra speed. My personal recommendation is the ASUS RT-N66U (I really should get shares in this company by now), however a good review site is available at »www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/r···rts/view and shows the capability of lots of different models.

Tristan

join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON

Woohoo!

I'm going to have to consider this. I like speed. Speed is good.

Thank you Rocca!

thm655321

join:2003-09-01
Canada
reply to rocca

As a member of the pre-release program, I can say worth every cent.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to rocca

I thought people release news Friday evening when they don't want anybody to know about it
--
electronicsguru.ca

tyche

@start.ca
reply to rocca

So if I have the 45/4 plan and bought the modem from you (DCM476 I believe) are there any costs to move up to the 150/10 plan (change fees, Rogers fees, etc)? Or can I just request to be bumped up?

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to Teddy Boom

said by Teddy Boom:

I thought people release news Friday evening when they don't want anybody to know about it

Yeah, another big splashy product announcement from Start! I wish they would tone them down a bit.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by jasmo34:

Yeah, another big splashy product announcement from Start! I wish they would tone them down a bit.

Our happy customers have always been our best advertising!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to tyche

said by tyche :

So if I have the 45/4 plan and bought the modem from you (DCM476 I believe) are there any costs to move up to the 150/10 plan (change fees, Rogers fees, etc)? Or can I just request to be bumped up?

If you have a DCM475/6, correct, no charges - just give us a call, email support@start.ca or PM me here with your account # and we'll get you bumped up.

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
reply to rocca

Rocca does it normally take 24-48 (up to 72 Hours) for Rogers to process this speed request and will we have to reboot our modems or will it reboot automatically ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Yes, generally 2 business days from time it's submitted and usually a reboot is not required but can't hurt.

DSA

join:2013-04-27
Brantford, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca

OK so I've got the D-Link DIR-645 router, from what I see it should work with the Elite tier, can someone confirm this for me? Thanks.

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···27379CVF

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

I don't see it tested yet on the link above, the 655 seems to be fast enough though. The price though sort of worries me, ie I haven't yet seen a sub-$100 router that can hack the higher speeds. If you already have it though and are able to test it I'm sure many others would be interested in the results.

DSA

join:2013-04-27
Brantford, ON

I have had it since I sighed up for your service in Jan., am using it on 45/4, solid as a rock, not a hiccup.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca

said by rocca:

I don't see it tested yet on the link above, the 655 seems to be fast enough though. The price though sort of worries me, ie I haven't yet seen a sub-$100 router that can hack the higher speeds. If you already have it though and are able to test it I'm sure many others would be interested in the results.

you should look a Ubiquiti ERL which is about $100 CDN, it's only a router (no wifi) but can do ~900Mbit/sec WAN/LAN routing. not every feature is exposed in the GUI tho and seems mostly targeted for small offices.

HowieDoin

join:2013-04-10
Fort Erie, ON
reply to rocca

Rocca....would the ASUS AC version (RT-AC66U) not be a better router to get?....Currently shopping around right now myself. MyNet750 just isn't cutting it,

spikernum1

join:2010-03-03
Burlington, ON
reply to rocca

Linksys EA4500 good enough for the Elite speeds?

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

Yeah looks like EA4500 max is 252mbps... With speed boost the most you get I think is 240-250mbps so you're just in range.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to HowieDoin

said by HowieDoin:

Rocca....would the ASUS AC version (RT-AC66U) not be a better router to get?....Currently shopping around right now myself. MyNet750 just isn't cutting it,

You can't go wrong with the AC version either if you're okay with spending the extra cash. Personally I think it's still early for AC, ie it's still in draft and there aren't much in the way of clients yet, and most people won't need/experience the difference in speed, but I think the price differential is getting pretty small so might be more tempting for some. I haven't use the AC model though so can't share any direct personal experience.

thm655321

join:2003-09-01
Canada
reply to rocca

I have 150/10 and the RT-AC66U and it is a great router, running it on ASUS-Merlin firmware.

ssherwood
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Toronto, ON
reply to rocca

All I can say is, WOW!!!

I'm using pfSense as my router/firewall running on a virtual server to get this result. In my area I don't always test this high, but I'm consistently at 150Mbit or higher. Node congestion I assume...

Now I just have to find a new NNTP provider that can saturate this fat pipe!

-- SS

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to thm655321

+1 for Merlin, has been solid for me.

fparker

join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to jmck

said by jmck:

you should look a Ubiquiti ERL which is about $100 CDN, it's only a router (no wifi) but can do ~900Mbit/sec WAN/LAN routing. not every feature is exposed in the GUI tho and seems mostly targeted for small offices.

Who sells the Ubiquiti ERL in Canada?

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca

The price and speed are awesome Rocca but the cap makes it hard to justify.... 3x the speed of the 45 plan yet only an additional 1/3 of usage? For people who need 150mbps, they are also gonna need more than 400GB/month.

I'd be interested in the future if that number went up, but at the same time, probably not a whole lot more you could do with it if the math just doesn't add up.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits

said by d4m1r:

....the math just doesn't add up.

Two acronyms at fault come to mind : CRTC and CBB.

And though all of this speed-freakishness is fine and fair, and while this next idea does not affect ME personally, I DO believe that some folks here would appreciate additional plans at the 20 & 30 speeds with a more generous monthly usage cap built-in (like last year), even if the base price had to go up somewhat to support those.

Also, ANY plan at all at 10/1.5 Mbps for Cogeco-Land would be welcome, as methinks that there is a demographic which START is currently overlooking - AND, it might be a new middle ground on which to TEST a second unlimited plan, as it would be less risky for START than doing so on the higher speed plans.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to fparker

said by fparker:

Who sells the Ubiquiti ERL in Canada?

»ubnt.ca/en/

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to d4m1r

said by d4m1r:

The price and speed are awesome Rocca but the cap makes it hard to justify.... 3x the speed of the 45 plan yet only an additional 1/3 of usage? For people who need 150mbps, they are also gonna need more than 400GB/month.

I'd be interested in the future if that number went up, but at the same time, probably not a whole lot more you could do with it if the math just doesn't add up.

not everyone needs more cap space, some people simply want to be able to download what they can now but faster. besides the cap is bigger. furthermore people are really really interested in the 10Mbit upload.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to d4m1r

The usage is the expensive part unfortunately, but 400GB is still quite a lot for the vast majority of customers. While the package may not suit everyone, the higher download, and upload speeds along with the increased usage quota and the unlimited window will still have a significant appeal to many.

As for the math, you can also look at it from the other angle and say "triple the speed for only 40% more".

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to jmck

said by jmck:

»ubnt.ca/en/

+1, Mark and Shirley there are both awesome to deal with.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

And though all of this speed-freakishness is fine and fair, and while this next idea does not affect ME personally, I DO believe that some folks here would appreciate additional plans at the 20 & 30 speeds with a more generous monthly usage cap built-in (like last year), even if the base price had to go up somewhat to support those.

Also, ANY plan at all at 10/1.5 Mbps for Cogeco-Land would be welcome, as methinks that there is a demographic which START is currently overlooking - AND, it might be a new middle ground on which to TEST a second unlimited plan, as it would be less risky for START than doing so on the higher speed plans.

With Cogeco-land it's nearly impossible to get those caps up, as well as a huge loss for a 10Mbps unlimited package at this time. A good portion of the customers on the current unlimited plan use it as a 24/7 connection and I suspect the majority of those users would shift to a 10Mbps plan that presumably would be no more than a $10/mo increase. That would mean instead of them costing us $180/mo (just to Cogeco), they'd go up to $280/mo, effectively doubling our loss on them.

With our current plans and usage patterns etc, it's barely a break-even scenario, so unfortunately no room for improvement at this time.

We're working on a few things that we hope to have announced by the end of the month though (or early July) that could change that, but for now it's status quo.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

said by rocca:

With Cogeco-land....

In that case, then unlimited at HIGHER than 10Mbps would seem also to be a non-STARTer

What about a 10Mbps plan which HAS a cap ?

Do you figure that all it would do is grab customers from START's 6 and 20 plans, or would it also take some from the competition ?