Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Mobilicity
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
·CIKTEL Telecom

2 edits

Usage Caps

Thank you for proving a reliable service and not overselling your POI's like some of your competition does, like the last company I was at. I am an extremely happy customer.

I have a feeling your service and speeds are so reliable and consistent due to your caps and slightly higher prices than some of the competition.

My only question or complaint is do you have any plans to provide an unlimited service in the future at a reasonable price?

My second question is do the download overage fees have a ceiling? My mother watches a lot of Netflix since she is retired, and she is already at 100GB just after 7 days of service. She doesn't pirate software or movies (and likely doesn't even know how to). So this may be a concern for her and of course me since I pay for the service in a roundabout way.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

only thing i can think of for your mom is considering going down to the 6M cable or dsl package which offers unlimited. if she isn't doing much downloading but instead just streaming shows 6mbit should be enough i assume.

i know the medium bitrate on netflix is a max of 2.5Mbit/sec while 720p HD needs 5Mbit/sec.

Doctor9

join:2012-11-26
That is an excellent suggestion, it would also save money. I will consider it. Thank you very much.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
Currently there is no ceiling and the Basic package is the only one with unlimited, but we are expecting to have some new bandwidth options being announced later this month.

As jmck mentioned Netflix works really well with the Basic Unlimited package and it's an inexpensive piece of mind package for a lot of families. While there are some awesome new speeds available for higher end users, many people find that everything still works pretty good with 6Mbps.

edit: That said, we understand that there are many people who want 'unlimited' so they don't have to watch a counter rather than because they want to use it 24/7.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by rocca:

Currently there is no ceiling and the Basic package is the only one with unlimited, but we are expecting to have some new bandwidth options being announced later this month....

UGH - now they've got YOU calling it Bandwidth !

(But I'll be watching for the announcement.)

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Doctor9
said by Doctor9:

Thank you for proving a reliable service and not overselling your POI's like some of your competition does, like the last company I was at.

Can you ever create a post without taking trollish jabs at your previous ISP? Grow up man...
--

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
said by HiVolt:

said by Doctor9:

....like the last company I was at.

Can you ever create a post without taking trollish jabs at your previous ISP? Grow up man...

AWWWWW, C'mon !

We ALL do that from time to time - maybe not as often....

However MY jabs are more direct, as are yours.

Bell HAS screwed me, both directly and thru IISPs (I've posted specifically on this in DSLR forums numerous times - it's cathartic, y'know), and Cogeco DOES have stupid policies (read my plentiful posts in the Cogeco forum here - last year mostly).

As for TSI, the only time I had any issue with THEM, it was from Bell not upholding THEIR part of the bargain as a GAS partner, and holding TSI and I hostage on their infamous DMC extortion policy - which was how I ended up with Cogeco at the time.

And, to give credit where due, START has done a decent job for me, and though I have not posted a review here (I really SHOULD, though have made quite a few posts of praise here in the forums), I see that others HAVE, and their % of positives at »/gbu is quite impressive ! (gotta scroll down to 'Regional ISPs' to see)

= = = = = = =

AND..... you MAY need a Doctor some time !

flare4000

join:2011-08-03
reply to rocca
Hey rocca do you have any updates on the other bandwidth options? Summer is coming so I'm going to need the extra bandwidth.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
I'm hoping I have an announcement ready end of next week, may be first week of July though.

DrugTito

join:2013-01-17
canada
said by rocca:

I'm hoping I have an announcement ready end of next week, may be first week of July though.

High Five !

flare4000

join:2011-08-03
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

Happy Canada's Day?

DrugTito

canada
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

is this going to happen rocca, or you are still hoping? :-=

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
It's really really close, but I don't want to jump the gun. First week of July is looking more likely. I think it'll be worth the wait.

DrugTito

canada
cool, thanks for updating us.

can't wait for that to happen

TheRizzo

join:2011-01-30
reply to rocca
Hey Rocca! Is this the week we get some great news?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
I think so.

DrugTito

canada
rocca is first hopping, now he thinks, that he will have good news for us this week, good good ! lol

Barry

join:2008-11-04
Burlington, ON
reply to Doctor9
Will you be adjusting the current packages or will this be addons?

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

1 edit
Well, I'll be the first to 'speculate'...

It's probably too early along in CBB for any more unlimiteds. Start seems to like one plan per speed. Jumping up a speed no longer guarantees an additional 100GB of usage.

So, I'm going to guess we will see "Start GigaBuckets!"

100 GigaByte Buckets of extra monthly usage, for only $?.99/month!

Just have to ensure it is not a billing/accounting nightmare, with people jumping in near month-end, and cancelling 5 days later.

~~~

The only other thing I could readily see, is another 25/2 plan with more usage (especially for the HD TV streamers).

nirajshah7

join:2008-11-12
Markham, ON
reply to rocca
Hey Rocca.. are you planning to have like 200 GB package for 150/10? I do most of downloading between 2 -8 AM and would love my package price to go down

DrugTito

canada
......... just wait, and seeeeeeeeeeeee ?:)

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by DrugTito:

......... just wait, and seeeeeeeeeeeee ?:)

Hopefully by the end of this week we can see more details.

DrugTito

canada
i hope so

platoon in 20?:D

Breadwinka

join:2008-06-08
Kitchener, ON
reply to DrugTito
The suspense is too damn high :P. Start has just been awesome.

DrugTito

canada
rocca... c mon ... just ... tell us ... what is on your mind ...

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to Doctor9
Remember Start's 150/10 announcement...

... it was at 10:35 p.m. on a Friday! ...

Theriex

join:2010-09-19
Ottawa, ON
I bet it's going to be a new 1Gb/1Gb package. Right?!?

DrugTito

canada
??

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to jasmo34
said by jasmo34:

Remember Start's 150/10 announcement...

... it was at 10:35 p.m. on a Friday! ...

:)

Most of our changes go into place on Monday's but I like to give everyone here a sneak peak when I can. We are feverishly making sure our backend systems are ready for the changes, and it's looking good. As soon as we're 100% sure we are ready I'll spill the beans.

Not long now.