spc
Search similar:

uniqs

thephantom
join:2001-04-24
Alamo, CA

thephantom

PC turning itself OFF - HELP! -followup

So, continuing the story of my PC failing (»PC turning itself OFF - HELP!) I received a new power supply from the manufacturer as it was only 2 years into a 5 year warranty. Re-assembled everything today. Added another 4Gb memory to bring me up to 10Gb. Changed out the cpu heatsink-fan unit for one much bigger. Unfortunately, I had some trouble installing it and don't think it is as tight as it is supposed to be, but I can't seem to do anything about it. Changed out the 1Tb hard drive that went bad. But the new one isn't registering. In the BIOS,
under one section it doesn't recognize the drive. In a different section, it knows I have the disk there. I re-opened it and changed the connection to the same SATA port the old one used. Interestingly, even though it said SATA6 when I bought it, I just noticed the box has a label on it stating SATA3. So maybe that was it. In any case, the BIOS now recognized the disk. Windows didn't; but bringing up the computer management screen and looking at the Disk Management area under Storage, I figured out what to do with it so it is now recognized. I decided not to set up a RAID1 array again. I'm just going to use the second disk to store an image backup and regular backups. then if something happens again, I can point to that one to boot. At least that's my theory. It was suggested in the previous thread.

So, so far, so good. It's been running for about 6+ hours now and seems ok. I sure hope it sticks. it looks like I only lost a few files and some settings, for which I am very grateful.

Thanks to all those who helped me out.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

said by thephantom:

Changed out the cpu heatsink-fan unit for one much bigger. Unfortunately, I had some trouble installing it and don't think it is as tight as it is supposed to be, but I can't seem to do anything about it.

You need to keep a close eye on this or quite possibly you'll be in trouble again.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA

Veloslave to thephantom

Premium Member

to thephantom
What are your RAID/HD controller settings set at in BIOS?
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to aguen

Premium Member

to aguen
said by aguen:

said by thephantom:

Changed out the cpu heatsink-fan unit for one much bigger. Unfortunately, I had some trouble installing it and don't think it is as tight as it is supposed to be, but I can't seem to do anything about it.

You need to keep a close eye on this or quite possibly you'll be in trouble again.

I second this. Run a temp monitoring program and watch them.

thephantom
Alamo, CA

thephantom

I will be watching the temps; I may try to re-install the heatsink again too. I had problems when trying to get the X shaped brace to fit and hold the sink down. I can tighten the screws well enough, but I messed up doing something to lock the brace to the sink.

I could set up the RAID with the BIOS, what I couldn't do was have the SATA6 connection acknowledged within the BIOS. I plugged it into one of the SATA3 ports and that recognized the disk. At this point I decided to forgo the RAID setup and just use the extra disk as back up.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to thephantom

to thephantom
There is no SATA6. It's SATA3. The transfer rate for SATA3 is 6Gbit/s, which is where I assume the confusion is coming from.

Ditto on the heat sink issue. Not getting your HSF unit firmly and completely locked down into place as designed is most definitely not a good thing. Perhaps you'll get lucky, but I have had personal experience with this in the past and it just doesn't keep temps down the way it should. Take it all out, clean everything up, and do it again nice and slow. Read the directions again, take your time, try it again.

thephantom
Alamo, CA

thephantom

said by Raible:

There is no SATA6. It's SATA3. The transfer rate for SATA3 is 6Gbit/s, which is where I assume the confusion is coming from.
. . .
Take it all out, clean everything up, and do it again nice and slow. Read the directions again, take your time, try it again.

Thanks. I don't know why the SATA6 connection didn't work, but it works (obviously downgraded) with the old port.
I will get around to removing the heatsink and re-doing it, but I'll wait a couple of days just to keep my frustration levels manageable.

Raible
Plainfield, IN

Raible

said by thephantom:

I don't know why the SATA6 connection didn't work

There's no such thing as SATA6
said by thephantom:

it works with the old port.

That's not the old port, that's the correct port.
said by thephantom:

I plugged it into one of the SATA3 ports

Yep, that one. You plugged your SATA3 device into your SATA3 port.
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem to thephantom

Premium Member

to thephantom

said by thephantom See Profile
I will get around to removing the heatsink and re-doing it, but I'll wait a couple of days just to keep my frustration levels manageable.

Look to see if the "X-brace" has any small holes in it that might fit over a bump on the top of the base of the heatsink. If so, those can help you align it correctly.

If that doesn't help, try turning the X-brace over. Sometimes those braces fit better one way than the other.

Finally, tighten all the bolts loosely and then be sure the heatsink is properly aligned under the X-Brace and over the processor. Be sure you have the bolts through the correct mounting holes in the X-brace. Using the wrong holes will cause misalignment.

Once the X-Brace and heatsink are in the correct spot over the processor tighten all the bolts a little bit at a time in a "X" shaped pattern rather that simply doing them all at once in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction.

Getting the heatsink properly mounted prior to installing the motherboard in your case is critical.

Get the bolts fairly tight, but not so tight that there is any bend in the board.

Likewise, try to get the same degree of tightness on all the bolts. I do that by counting the number of times I rotate each nut on each bolt and try to tighten each nut the same number of turns as the heatsink is mounted.

Visually inspect the mating of the heatsink to the processor prior to installing the board into the case. You want to be sure that the heatsink sits level on the processor and be sure that it is not higher or lower on one edge than on the others.

thephantom
Alamo, CA

thephantom to Raible

to Raible
said by Raible:

said by thephantom:

I don't know why the SATA6 connection didn't work

There's no such thing as SATA6
said by thephantom:

it works with the old port.

That's not the old port, that's the correct port.
said by thephantom:

I plugged it into one of the SATA3 ports

Yep, that one. You plugged your SATA3 device into your SATA3 port.

according to the user manual on the ASUS X58 motherboard, there are 2 ports for the SATA 6 connection, the others are for the SATA 3 connections.
thephantom

thephantom to Gem

to Gem
Gem - thanks. My problem was trying to line up the bump with the base. just clumsy. I'll give it another shot and maybe get lucky this time. I appreciate the instructions.
S
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

2 edits

dave to thephantom

Premium Member

to thephantom
In the X58 manual I looked at, they're labelled SATA_6G_1 and SATA_6G_2. That's 6 Gb/S, which is called "SATA 3"

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se ··· 0_MB.2Fs

SATA that does 3 Gb/S is called "SATA 2".

The SATA3 ports are on a different controller; are you sure the Marvell is enabled?

In the BIOS, under one section it doesn't recognize the drive.

If you're talking about the main screen, then the manual shows that it only lists the Intel SATA ports.

It's unclear to me whether that makes disks on the Marvell not bootable.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy to thephantom

to thephantom
Pretty sure when thephantom is talking about the sata he/she means:

SATA3 = SATA 3Gb/s aka SATA II
SATA6 = SATA 6Gb/s aka SATA III

example:
**according to the user manual on the ASUS X58 motherboard, there are 2 ports for the SATA 6 connection, the others are for the SATA 3 connections.**

fixed:
according to the user manual on the ASUS X58 motherboard, there are 2 ports for the SATA 6Gb/s connection, the others are for the SATA 3Gb/s connections.

Raible
Plainfield, IN

Raible to thephantom

to thephantom
Fizzy, I'm pretty sure you said what's been said a couple times already. lol