itsbry

join:2001-02-22
Fernandina Beach, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

The "Project"

Click for full size
So named by the wife, The Project is pretty much done.

Uverse
gigabit switch
Cat 6 panel, terminations, and cable

I just wish AT&T would let me plug that RG into my own battery.
And bridge the 3801HGV.

MacThrasher
Premium
join:2002-04-26
Chagrin Falls, OH

Be glad you have u-Verse TV available. I only have the u-Verse 12-1 ADSL2+. Still stuck on DirectTV here.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage

said by MacThrasher:

Be glad you have u-Verse TV available. I only have the u-Verse 12-1 ADSL2+. Still stuck on DirectTV here.

Your not missing much. My parents switched to U-Verse TV and after less than a year went back to DirecTV because it was much better. They still have U-Verse internet and phone.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
reply to itsbry

Nice setup! Very clean.

itsbry

Fernandina Beach, FL

Thanks... the wife wanted the whole shelf space, so I ended up setting the RG on top of the APC. I just hope that the battery doesn't adversely affect the modem.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
reply to itsbry

why cant you plug it into your battery backup?

you can use that uverse modem with your own router, is that what you want to do? meaning, your router will be in control of ports, etc...

i am running pfsense behind a uverse connection and the uverse passes off the WAN IP to my pfsense box.

itsbry

Fernandina Beach, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Definitely in the plans to get my ASUS RTN16 (running DD-WRT) behind the RG, but as for the battery, it has what appears to be a proprietary adapter that is hard-wired to their battery. I ask every time I talk to someone and I'm told that it has to be that way... not a huge issue, though it would be nice to get that big chunk off the wall.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL

odd, i have that same uverse box at one of my locations and it doesnt have a battery pack. i have it plugged right into my battery backup.

itsbry

Fernandina Beach, FL

I suppose it's just power so an alternate adapter would work, assuming it has the same specs.

DoubleJ

@tconl.com

Why not move the AC cord to the UVerse battery pack from the "surge only" outlet on your UPS to one of the backup outlets on your UPS. Then it will run on your UPS until it drains, and continue to run after that until the UVerse battery drains.

itsbry

Fernandina Beach, FL

I had a setup like that a few years ago, but found that there is something about the way each device reacts to waveform fluctuation that can damage, or cause early failure of both batteries. This is, of course, coming from an electrical novice!

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by itsbry:

I had a setup like that a few years ago, but found that there is something about the way each device reacts to waveform fluctuation that can damage, or cause early failure of both batteries. This is, of course, coming from an electrical novice!

Are you talking about the UPS and how it switches to battery with even the tiniest power anomaly?

On most UPS, the sensitivity is adjustable. If it switches to battery too frequently, decrease the sensitivity. Some units without front panel controls may need to be hooked up to a PC and configured using the manufacturer's software.