All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Why do hams....

Fr a long time I've wondered. Why do many hams talk about them selves in 3rd person? Listing to one of the DStar reflectors tonight I've heard a half dozen guys refer to them selves as "we" instead of I.

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim

MVM

I have no idea, but I find it pretty annoying.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I hear more old timers using 3rd person, more or less referring to we or us as themselves as a radio station, not as I or me as an individual operator.

Some friends who speak to each other are referring to themselves and their family, for example, instead of specifically listing the XYL and the "harmonics", it's just "we're" doing well today.

I think, in some rare cases, there are hams that have a close personal relationship with their station equipment, and talk to it, even when it's not turned on.
So perhaps in those cases, "WE" refers to themselves, along with various equipment in the shack that they consider part of their immediate family.

Anyhow, it looks like newer hams seem to have carried it along, just like they heard people doing long before.

Now go back and ask about people that send FB, or "Fine Business", not mentioning what business, whose business, or what kind of business.

Then there's everyone that instead of just 73, say "Best 73's".

That's like saying Best-Best Regards'ses, it's saying double best and making it plural to boot.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

alphapointe

MVM

I talk to my equipment, although most people would think I was talking to my ex-wife.
PL239
join:2013-06-17
Aliquippa, PA

PL239 to battleop

to battleop
What else do you expect from D-Star and FM?

Most new hams only has a Technician class license and they cannot operate HF - most new hams also has some type of antenna restriction ( covenant in their plan or development ) or a wife that does not allow antenna's - hence the only time they get to operate and act big time is when they are on their walkie talkie on a repeater.

I guess when you talk to old hams, they include the whole family when they talk due to the fact that they are family orientated.
Unless they are divorced or widowed - then all they might have is a child that takes care of them or their pet.

If you want it to change, it all starts with YOU!

battleop

battleop

"What else do you expect from D-Star and FM?"

Just in case you are still confused about why Ham Radio is dying that right there is the very reason why. Digital Modes and FM are much more welcoming than the old farts who dare you to touch their frequency on 80M. If you want to find hams are more generally friendly and who don't want to down you for not liking what they like it's best to stay on 40 and above.
PL239
Aliquippa, PA

PL239

D-Star is not a Digital mode - anything past trying to make FM more like public service.

OLD FARTS?

I have only been in this since 1970

If you come to the mountains of Western Pennsylvania - you will find that D-Star does not exist here.
Reason why is simple - it doesn't work!

Why doesn't it work?
Simple answer is because all effective communications is line of sight. Anytime you put anything between the transmit and the receive antenna - what do you have with a digital form of communication that is all 1's and 0's? NOTHING!

IN the analog days of television, one transmitter atop a high mountain on VHF was able to cover about 65 miles in most directions with ease with a 15,000 watt transmitter - to the point of where you could almost receive it with nothing but a set of rabbit ears antenna's - if you could tolerate some flopping and snow and some static on the FM audio.
'Try to do the same thing with a 700,000 watt transmitter on the same stick on UHF channel 32 and see what happens!
Unless you have clear line of sight - about the best you get is about 48 miles of reliable reception.

Now take a amateur radio repeater - even with a 350 watt PA and a 200' tower and low loss Heliax line and try to talk to a mobile with a 50 watt radio down behind a hill someplace or down in a secluded valley and what do you get? NO SERVICE.

This is the reason why OPEN SKY does not work for the PA State Police and the reason why they have a stick on a telephone pole every 5 miles thoughout western PA - just to do the same thing they once did with nothing but a 150 watt transmitter in the trunk and a 32 inch antenna on the trunk lid when they were on high VHF analog and also the reason why they migrated back to VHF for voice communications.

D-Star is nothing but a gimmic to sell ICOM radios.
It will die a slow death - even with ICOM giving away D-Star repeaters to any moron that wants one.

My Yaesu suffers the same fate with the Win crap they put in it.
No one uses it anymore.

What happens with a digital signal when you have multiple users all trying to use it at the same time? It locks up and fails.

With a analog signal - even if the signal is crappy and picket fencing the repeater - as long as you can hear every other word - your mind will fill in the blanks - which is the reason why GE made the Mastr II to such high standards.
It was designed for use by NASA and the Apollo program - to go to the moon and back.
It will listen to things it hears well down into the noise floor and keep going as long as it detects something.

Read about it in the Repeater Builder . com web site sometime and ask Kevin about it. You won't ever get a D-Star repeater to do what that old 40 year old plus repeater will still do..

In an emergency - it is about as worthless as.........

battleop

battleop

Thanks for re-enforcing my point... If there is a mode I don't care for then I just don't care for it. I don't go out of my way to tell everyone how much it sucks for me.
PL239
Aliquippa, PA

PL239

Wanna buy a good ICOM?

Ooop's - I forgot - they never made a good ICOM after the 775