spc
Search similar:

uniqs
brycenesbitt
join:2000-10-27
Berkeley, CA

brycenesbitt

[ActionTec] Getting an ActionTec GT701D OUT of bridge mode

I was able to get my ActionTec GT701D into bridge mode by selecting 'RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging'.

But. Um. Is this one of those things in life you can never reverse? A hard reset (pressing reset until the lights flash and the thing reboots) does not bring it out of bridge mode.

How can I get it out of bridge mode?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

-- Option one --

I think I know the answer and can an example of what to do.

#1 Make sure that you have a wired NIC that is not connected to anything else other than your computer.

#2 On your computer setup a Static IP that is in the same subnet as the LAN IP of the ActionTec GT701D on that wired NIC.

a) For example if the ActionTec GT701D has the LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 and has the Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0, then you could setup that NIC to use 192.168.1.5 and use the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and leave all of the other fields alone.

b) Very important: If your computer has two NICs, be sure that the other NIC is not in the same subnet!

For example if the ActionTec GT701D has the LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 and has the Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0, then your other NIC should not have an IP Address that starts with 192.168.1.

#3 Connect the NIC that you setup the use the Static IP with-in the same subnet of the ActionTec GT701D to the ActionTec GT701D.

#4 Once you do that, you should be able to log-in to the ActionTec GT701D and reconfigure the ActionTec GT701D out of bridge mode.

-- Option two --

As to why the pressing the reset button/switch did not work for you...

#1 As you are pressing the reset button/switch, be sure to turn off and back on the power to it?

#2 OR perhaps you did not press the reset switch long enough?

I am not saying what I am saying is true, but I am assuming for the purpose of (OR in words an example) explaining.

a) Pressing the reset button/switch for at least 5 seconds, means the router will reboot.

b) Pressing the reset button/switch for at least 10 seconds, means the router will reload/reset back to the Default Settings.
brycenesbitt
join:2000-10-27
Berkeley, CA

1 recommendation

brycenesbitt

The 10 second reset worked. It was not necessary to cycle power. After 5 seconds the lights turn color, but keep holding! Thanks for the valuable input, hopefully others will googlefind this.