uniqs

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Elyria

to Elyria

Re: [TWC] Removal of Navigator's DVR Compensation

said by Elyria:

You have any links to explain exactly what Navigator's DVR Compensation is ? I've never heard the term used before.

it is similar to how Tivo does the compensation when hit play after fast forwarding or rewinding. The time warner cable iGuide in LA and Dallas boxes got that feature added in 2012 when the software was upgraded to R29 version of iGuide from the previous A28 version.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch

said by motorola870:

said by Elyria:

You have any links to explain exactly what Navigator's DVR Compensation is ? I've never heard the term used before.

it is similar to how Tivo does the compensation when hit play after fast forwarding or rewinding. The time warner cable iGuide in LA and Dallas boxes got that feature added in 2012 when the software was upgraded to R29 version of iGuide from the previous A28 version.

I understand the MDN (legacy boxes, such as the non-C SA's and the boxes that are not Samsungs) are also going to lose this feature. It is already gone in some North Carolina areas.

I heard that a lot of East Coast techs would turn this feature off on new box installs. The grapevine says that this feature was removed because of a memory strain on the boxes having to buffer at different intervals based on the DVR Compensation setting. TWC plans new features for the boxes, and DVR Compensation had to be axed to make room for new features.

The question is, was it really memory being compromised or a fault in the Navigator software generating a memory leak, which slowed down the boxes? There was considerable slowdown for the first ODN release of the Black Guide (ODN 5.2.07) especially on multiple search listings of the same title. That speed was improved in ODN 5.2.09 with a patch, BUT there was still slowdown lag in about 3-5 week increments where reboots were needed. ODN 6.0.19 has been very stable with no speed lag and the .019 suffix retains the DVR Compensation.

I would like to get confirmation as to how DVR Compensation's loss improves the Navigator system or the customer experience. Maybe it will come back in a future build.

Satch

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870

it is similar to how Tivo does the compensation when hit play after fast forwarding or rewinding

And therein lies the problem. This is a TiVo patented feature.

»www.google.com/patents/US7493015