Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Re: [Connectivity] Super slow downloads, uploads fine

So the guy game out, tested the levels, tested the wiring, and everything was fine. He said that the only thing it could be is the modem. He reiterated "it's all electronics" and added some interesting information about how Comcast is not going to upgrade more systems to 860mhz because it costs too much to do a total plant rebuild, and that our existing coax rolls off sharply after ~770, even if we had 860 electronics. He said that if he put a new modem in, and it fixed the problem, we would see a service charge, but if I went to the office and got it, it wouldn't cost anything beyond the rental charge. So I got their modem, and sure enough, it worked. I'm baffled as to why a Motorola SB6141 is having such horrendous issues, but yet maintaining great uploads. I'm going to have to play around with my modem more and get Comcast to play nice with it to get the rental modem off of there soon, but in the meantime, we have working internet.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

I suspect your problem will return. Most of the time just the act of touching the coax when changing the modem will discharge enough or kill whatever is causing noise at that moment to make the issue look to be gone. I hope it was just a faulty modem, but I have a hunch it's not.

For all the other people in this thread - your issue are not related to BiggA 's issue. You should call in as well to schedule a technician.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

I can't argue with the results. We had several days on several different jacks, including the line coming right in, and it was almost always a mess with my modem, and now with their off-brand piece of crap, it's consistently fast.

What I'm trying to figure out is how the modem checked out fine, worked fine with uploads, and was rock solid in maintaining the sub-par speeds. I can't believe that's hardware damage, as I would think it would be a lot worse, and it worked on this same system a week ago without issues. And it's not like I got something that is more resillent to some issue we have, since the other modem started acting up before I moved AND we now have some crappy 4-channel Ubee, when before we had a real Motorola with the full 8 channels. I'm baffled.

Yeah, likely other people have different issues. A modem going wonky like this is bizarre and probably rare.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

I would be interested to see what is happening in a few weeks to a month from now.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

We'll see, but we already have a clear and repeatable pattern: My modem= 3mbps, their modem = 63mbps.
krafty1
join:2010-04-07
Hastings, MN

krafty1 to Thundercamel

to Thundercamel
I AM ON TRIPLE PLAY PERFORMANCE TIER FOR $ 99 A MONTH AND THESE ARE MY RESULTS.
»stage.results.speedtest. ··· 7702.png
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

You're getting a lot more than you should. We're still at 60+mbps on Blast! with the rented modem.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA
From what I am reading it sounds like they are not pushing the correct config file. I would post in the direct forum.

I have a 6141 and it performs better than my 6120.

As for the landlord, they will probably say that the CATV wiring is your responsibility.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

The wiring is fine, as it works with the rental. Something's wrong with the modem or modem configuration. I have a bunch of other stuff that has to get done, but I'll get to that eventually...