All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Nordy
join:2007-10-20

Nordy

What does Amazon AWS Hosting cost?

I recently came across Amazon AWS hosting and other things offered by them, and noticed quite a few big guys host there.

What does it cost to host with them. Are these guys same as our conventional hosting guys (who give you a control panel and then you setup your databases, upload files to your root) or are these guys different?

I'm looking forward to hosting a local wiki.

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

AWS has 100's/1000's of options. AWS is their umbrella name but each service has it's own pricing. Check out »aws.amazon.com/pricing/ and you'll see all the services. As an example, EC2 is their cloud based server offering (pricing at »aws.amazon.com/pricing/ec2/ ) and S3 is their cloud based storage offering (pricing at »aws.amazon.com/pricing/s3/ ).

You pay by usage. Storage usage is measured in GB. Server usage is measured in hours you have a particular server instance active.

On the server side you have an "on demand" instance or a "reserved" instance. A reserved instance is useful if you will have something running full time over the course of a month/year. You pay less for a reserved instance. On Demand instances are good if you need to spin up a temp server for testing or when load demands additional capacity for a somewhat limited time.

Start with »aws.amazon.com/free/ to check things out paying attention to the limits for each of the services included in the free tier.

Nordy
join:2007-10-20

Nordy

I read 'em all. I guess someone needing 20MB web space for a site that'll get 1000 visitors a month should stick to the other guys then

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

I don't think AWS is a replacement for inexpensive shared web hosting from the thousands of web hosts that offer that service for under $10/mo.

If you really are looking for a wiki only, you might consider sites that provide that without you having to have your own host and software/db install.

»www.wikidot.com/
»wikkii.com/wiki/Free_Wik ··· _Hosting
»www.wikia.com/

and I'm sure many others.