Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Need suggestions for repelling birds

I am starting to put up with this on a daily basis.

There is a bunch of overgrowth/brush piles next to the driveway and I need suggestions for repelling birds. I am getting to the point of having to wash the car every day. The brush/overgrowth is on another owner's property and he is the kind that just lets his properties rot.

I am wondering if there are any chemical repellents for deterring birds. I might also consider dumping the contents of the cat box in the piles since cats are a natural predator to birds and the smell might deter them.

Other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as long as they are humane and don't harm the birds or other wildlife.

As for the car, I guess my gas pressure washer is going to pay for itself pretty quickly as I am having to wash the car on a daily basis. It costs about $8 around here to go through an automatic car wash.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

Maybe try those plastic owls people put in their gardens?

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
reply to IowaCowboy

If you find an answer let me know. My only cure is move the car. Don't forget these are like drones, they are bombing you car from a distance.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to John97

Is the overgrowth overtop of where you park your car?

In other words, are the birds perching on the overgrowth and then shitting onto the car, or are they bombing the car while airborne?

said by IowaCowboy:

As for the car, I guess my gas pressure washer is going to pay for itself pretty quickly as I am having to wash the car on a daily basis.

Is it really that bad that you need the pressure washer? When I get bird shit on my car, a spray bottle of soapy water or glass cleaner and some paper towel makes short work of cleaning up the mess. I can't see the pressure washer being necessary unless your car gets completely covered in the stuff.

said by John97:

Maybe try those plastic owls people put in their gardens?

I usually see those plastic owls completely covered in bird shit! I don't think they work.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to IowaCowboy

I'd also keep the surface waxed. That white stuff is uric acid and can attack whatever surface it hits. Wax will provide some level of temporary protection.

At least you're not in lovebug territory.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to IowaCowboy

Go to the garden store and look at the netting used for bird control in gardens. It is black, lightweight and very unobtrusive. Drape that over the area you want to protect. It keeps the birds from landing directly over your vehicle.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to IowaCowboy

Someone told my sister that hanging up shiny objects will help, like CD's or small disco balls. I've never tried it, so I can't say how well it works.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to IowaCowboy

How motivated are you?

Just a talker?

Hawk
Riding Thermals
Premium
join:2003-08-25
The Desert
reply to IowaCowboy

Inbound

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
reply to mityfowl

I'd like to cut the bushes down as they sit right on the property line between our property and the neighboring property.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

feel free to cut what's on your side, at least by PA law.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

This is what the culprit looks like.

I am thinking of spraying it with a defoliant. I'm sure there are safer defoliants out there than ones used in the past like Agent Orange. Same with pesticides, the newer ones are safer but you still should read the label.

The property line sits in the middle where the cable/telephone boxes are. I tried calling the poco to see if they'd clean it up as there is a electrical splice box (not pictured) in that mess but they only clean up around overhead lines. I do take at the growth now and then with a weed eater and garden shears but it just grows back a week later.

Part of the problem is that is infested with an invasive plant species not native to America.

It used to be a lot worse until the October Snowstorm did a good job of cleaning it up (took out the dead tree that I was worried would fall on my car). I do have to keep it clean or it blocks my view of backing out of the driveway.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

wa2ibm
Premium
join:2000-10-10
San Jose, CA

Put a canopy over your car?

»www.homedepot.com/p/ShelterLogic···w-UDN1RY
--
- Bill

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to IowaCowboy

If it was me I would start picking off one bird at a time.

Birds are smart and they relate the bb gun noise with dead birds.

You have to find a field of fire where the spend bb's don't hit or break anything

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

1 recommendation

Shooting a firearm (yes BB and Pellet guns are considered firearms in most jurisdictions ) in a city/neighborhood is a BRITE idea !!

breto

join:2013-03-12
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to IowaCowboy

This model: »www.amazon.com/Bird-X-BG-Balcony···019F8JJY

...actually worked quite well for me.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to IowaCowboy

From the pic you posted I don't see anything that would create a problem from the neighbor's "naturalized" yard. Where is the problem "brush/overgrowth" which is letting everything rot and creating the problem with bird shit on your car?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Actually there is a lot of dead brush in that pile, you just can't see it in that picture and there is a dead tree laying on the ground just rotting.

I think there might be a bird nest in those bushes but I won't disturb it (I think it might be illegal to disturb a wildlife nest in Mass).

We have a big problem with seagulls and pigeons here. There is a shopping center across from the Eastfield Mall that has a McDonald's in the parking lot and the seagulls are always going through the trash cans outside. The bus terminal is an outdated facility and they have pigeons that nest in the canopy over the platform and the droppings there are outright disgusting but the car is back on the road so its a moot point.

At least having a cat in the house is a natural deterrent to mice comming in.
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

OK -- are there any trees, brush, etc growing over where you park your car? That is the question.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA

No trees over the car. The nearest tall tree is behind the house.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kherr

said by kherr:

Shooting a firearm (yes BB and Pellet guns are considered firearms in most jurisdictions ) in a city/neighborhood is a BRITE idea !!

You say BRITE, I say BRILLIANT!! Especially for starlings and crows, not just the ones that crap on your car, but the ones that peck holes in the siding and live in your walls and attic.

Just imagine, "Rats with Wings".

A scope helps, just know your target and what's beyond it. A BB can miss, it will fall to the ground, and you better know where.

Just don't shoot your eye out kid!!
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

cacroll
Eventually, Prozac becomes normal
Premium
join:2002-07-25
Martinez, CA
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

The brush/overgrowth is on another owner's property

The property line sits in the middle where the cable/telephone boxes are.

I do have to keep it clean or it blocks my view of backing out of the driveway.

Looks like as much of it to the right, as to the left. Which side is your property? Is that really the only parking spot available, in the street, right in front?

Is that really what you call "keeping it clean"?
--
Cheers,
Chuck
Nitecruzr Dot Net
Google+ - Nitecruzr

nocannothave

join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to EGeezer

said by EGeezer:

I'd also keep the surface waxed. That white stuff is uric acid and can attack whatever surface it hits. Wax will provide some level of temporary protection.

And my neighbors continue to wonder why I wash my car no matter where the weather is heading. Get the bugs and bird shit off the finish.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I am starting to put up with this on a daily basis.
[att=1]

There is a bunch of overgrowth/brush piles next to the driveway and I need suggestions for repelling birds. I am getting to the point of having to wash the car every day. The brush/overgrowth is on another owner's property and he is the kind that just lets his properties rot.

I am wondering if there are any chemical repellents for deterring birds. I might also consider dumping the contents of the cat box in the piles since cats are a natural predator to birds and the smell might deter them.

Other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as long as they are humane and don't harm the birds or other wildlife.

As for the car, I guess my gas pressure washer is going to pay for itself pretty quickly as I am having to wash the car on a daily basis. It costs about $8 around here to go through an automatic car wash.

I have a issue with Yellow poop spots
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

NS4683

join:2000-08-25
South Amboy, NJ
reply to IowaCowboy

Is that mailbox really in use? I would just get some roundup and have at it. It's mostly weeds.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to IowaCowboy

City zoning office?

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink

said by stevek1949:

City zoning office?

+1

Shooting birds because they shit on your car is idiotic.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to TheMG

I take it your car isn't black?

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11
reply to IowaCowboy

Just some things I've learned trying to keep gackles from turning my black pool cover white 9 months a year.
Plastic owls help some but not totally, plus have to re-position them occasionally.
Movement helps also and it if is shiny/flashy it really helps.

I strung 2 lines with fluttering foil strips spaced out on them, and that was pretty effective. Think the flashing helps as much as the movement.

I'd also keep my open for cheap mesh like a used badmitten net or seine to see if I could string something up to deter direct fly-overs. If they can't make it to the branches, they'll learn another route that doesn't cross your car.

But good luck
--
Was a Cruise Fanatic, one cruise on Princess cured me. Bleah

JMHO42

@verizon.net
reply to IowaCowboy

Birds love bugs. If there's rotting stuff in that pile, the birds are probably after the bugs--there'll be lots of them. Kill the bugs, birds stop coming back.