spc
uniqs

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Liberty

Anon

to Liberty

Re: Fogged headlight lenses

Laundry detergent? First I hear of someone using that. Liquid I hope... I can see the powder (if not 100% dissolved) leaving very. very fine scratches.

Whatever the case, you are doing something right. Maybe some people just have a bad wax/silicon/organic-solvent discoloration/etching or build-up? Hard to say. So many factors, including environmental factors. You can't put it on just one factor when a over a dozen are at play.

But seeing how you are doing nothing other than this, my first guess would be your detergent in mildly abrasive, thus removes (very slightly etches) what is there as you rub. If not, then I guess we should start looking a wax-based soaps, and polishes that people may use.

But you are doing something right. Whatever that is (or in your case, not doing).

The Rust proofing places here all do headlight restoration. Very fine grit machine sanding with a compound. I don't recall the cost, but when I called for rust proofing last week (to be done this week) it was under 100$. Think it might have been around 40$. For an older car, I think it's better than a new polycarb lens. Unless you plan on keeping it another 8 years or so.

In regards to restoration, as a do it yourself job, check youtube. Quite a few examples there on the cheap. With amazing results. You should be able to do this under 30-50$.

Someone above said it will last 9 months or so. Sounds about right, but it shouldn't dull to the point of what it was before. So you should get a couple of years out of it with some abrasive polish in-between.

I'll ask this when I get my car rust proofed this week and find out the price. Should be about the same costs across North America at the rust-proof shops.

On some makes of car a new polycarb (or plastic) covers exceeds a few hundred bucks...

Which laundry detergent? Brand? Liquid? Powder? Are you using?

BTW, on any of the plastic-chrome colored parts, or actual chrome, notice any whitening?
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

3 edits

PrntRhd

Premium Member

Here in the States, sites like RockAuto carry complete headlight buckets in various prices and quality, ranging from OEM quality to economy lights.
Just remember the lighting manufacturers self-certify US DOT compliance, so the lights may not have identical-to-OEM reflectors or bulbs. You don't have to use the dealer for these if you are handy and know how to aim lights after installation. (No, they don't come pre-adjusted).

I chose to replace the headlights on my 2003 Tacoma with mid grade lights...and I could not be happier at being able to see at night ever since. I got fed up with trying to polish the covers in the rain. When I changed the halogen capsules themselves the lighting pattern changed and I was able to see even better.
The lights I got were TYC brand, less than $40 ea.