Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

candiedbug

join:2012-11-30
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Comcast thinks I'm stealing internet access.

So tonight after coming home from work I try to go online only to land on Comcast's activation page. I do what usually fixes things, reboot modem, router, etc. But not this time, it would still land me back on the activation page. So I give Comcast a call and thank god I got a guy, named Bruce, who really knew his stuff and he apologized and told me I got caught an automated theft detection system. Now I understand that my area has a problem with modem cloning and such, but how difficult is it to check a modem's MAC address against a customer's account and see that modem has been on service for a long time? Or at least give them a call before you disconnect their service!

Has this happened to anyone else in the Miami area?

flwpwr

@comcast.net

If the modem is cloned, and you disable it by MAC how do you determine which one is the legit one?

I think Bruce may have been full of it, that or he just re-enabled the cloned modem again...... Peggy is probably laughing a you, behind Bruce in Siberia.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to candiedbug

duplicate MACs happen, theres only a finite amount of them....so even they called you, you were at work, so what difference would it have made....you're back online, no issues.
--
I'm better than you!

candiedbug

Miami, FL

1 edit

I dont have a home phone, I have a cell, they didnt call. And tonight same thing happened, waiting on hold as I type this.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

said by candiedbug:

I dont have a home phone, I have a cell, the didnt call. And tonight same thing happened, waiting on hold as I type this.

So they disconnected you again, you are at home with no service, waiting on hold to get it back on, yet you can post here on the internet?
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Cell_Phone

@mycingular.net

said by Cthen:

said by candiedbug:

I dont have a home phone, I have a cell, the didnt call. And tonight same thing happened, waiting on hold as I type this.

So they disconnected you again, you are at home with no service, waiting on hold to get it back on, yet you can post here on the internet?

Why not?
I am using a bluetooth tethered cell phone to make this post. Why could candiedbug See Profile not do the same thing?

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

said by Cell_Phone :

said by Cthen:

said by candiedbug:

Why not?
I am using a bluetooth tethered cell phone to make this post. Why could candiedbug See Profile not do the same thing?

Or make the post directly from a phone's browser...

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to candiedbug

Why don't they verify by matching the modems serial number with the paired HFC mac ?

Expand your moderator at work

candiedbug

Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to candiedbug

Re: Comcast thinks I'm stealing internet access.

So anyway, after talking to a rep last night, we found the issue, since I have my own modem and I still have the leased modem with me, some guy in Comcast saw that there was a non-Comcast owned modem being used and flagged it as stolen. Apparently his logic was that because I still had a Comcast modem in my account (the old one I was using before I bought the one Im using now) it MUST mean someone had cloned my modem and was stealing service. They never bothered to check my account, if they had, they would have seen that the account has TWO modems registered, a Comcast modem, and a user owned modem, and that there had been an activation transfer done over the phone from the old modem to the new one almost a year ago. No, they rather disconnect my service and make me call them in the middle of the night.

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City Beach, FL

said by candiedbug:

that there had been an activation transfer done over the phone from the old modem to the new one almost a year ago. No, they rather disconnect my service and make me call them in the middle of the night.

Why do you still have the Comcast modem almost a year later?

candiedbug

Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

As unbelievably as it sound, I haven't had the time to return it ( and yes I still pay the $7 monthly for it). I work 6, sometimes 7 days a week and get home super late. I asked if I could mail it to them but they said no, even asked to pay for a tech to come pick it up, but I have to be present to show id and they wont send someone to my place of work. They told me that I could drop it off using their after hours equipment drop off slot, but after hearing all those horror stories of Comcast charging for modems they lost track of or Comcast claiming customers modems are theirs, I'm wary of turning equipment in without being able to get a receipt.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
reply to candiedbug

then I guess, it's time you make that unnecessary trip to a Comcast office and return their modem so you won't get cut off anymore...

candiedbug

Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

That's not the point. There should be no reason why cant keep the leased modem as long as I'm paying for it. My issue is with the fact that they disconnected service without ever checking the account or even giving a courtesy call. That in my opinion is bad customer service.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20

said by candiedbug:

That's not the point. There should be no reason why cant keep the leased modem as long as I'm paying for it. My issue is with the fact that they disconnected service without ever checking the account or even giving a courtesy call. That in my opinion is bad customer service.

sometimes you'll have to make choices whether you wanna fight an issue with them or make the better, smarter move ahead of them so they won't have any reason at all for those issues....

with big companies like these, I think thinking ahead of them makes the better choice to avoid headaches...because in the end, you're the one who's going to be inconvenienced.

candiedbug

Miami, FL

Oh I know that, I guess I just posted to vent a bit.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

1 recommendation

reply to candiedbug

unbelievable is the word all right

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
reply to candiedbug

Seems the only reason to go to the route they did would be if they had been seeing traffic from both modems.

It would certainly be a cheap date for Blast at $7 a month by letting someone use the rented modem, if the back and forth trips to the walled garden were overlooked.
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

bpratt

join:2006-10-24
Redwood City, CA
reply to gar187er

No, just no. Duplicate MAC addresses do not just happen. They occur when someone reassigns a device's MAC address via software (i.e. cloning). They do NOT just happen in manufacturing unless someone screws up royally, any more than car VIN numbers get duplicated or twenty dollar bill serial numbers get duplicated. In all those cases, it's possible, but also very rare.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to candiedbug

That isnt some fellow decides to list it as stolen. That is software related. Im not going to get into why but comcasts computer does periodic scans and checks for multiple modems listed on accounts. There is easier ways to get modems online without cloning a mac address and thats what this software is suppose to address.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to bpratt

Agree that it is very rare. But its not impossible, as i have seen rca ship out a case of modems all with the same mac address. The whole case had the same mac address and yes it was a mistake as its next to impossible to clone todays modems. But its not impossible for manufactures to make mistakes.. When i saw it happen comcasts computer allowed the case to be added to inventory and didnt get rejected until we were trying to install them into peoples accounts. when your giving modems out to 15 techs a case of modems with the same macs really sux. Especially when you dont figure it out until later.

candiedbug

Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to candiedbug

So, they did it again tonight, got home a 4am and not internet access. I'm too tired to call them, going to sleep.

Edit at 5:48am : I was almost asleep when I heard my iPod Touch ding with the new email sound! (O.o) This is so weird, iPod is online, but none of the PCs or macs work, iPads and assorted android tabs go to landing page too. And yes, I checked the iPod is using my router, and its not using cached content (refresh of Google news page)

Thoughts? I'm thinking this might be a DNS routing snafu somewhere. I'm wondering if using Google's DNS servers would make a difference or will whatever is rerouting me to the activation page kick in before it?

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

As far as dropping it in the after hours drop box. Thats not the stories you read about. In fact i cant ever remember someone complaining that was ever a problem. The stories you read about involve comcast saying the modem they own is theirs and that is because of the way comcast has to put customer OWNED modems into their inventory for them to work. In other words drop the dam thing off and be done with it.

candiedbug

Miami, FL

I will not return any equipment to Comcast unless I can get proof that I returned it (ie: receipt). You can't get a receipt if you use the drop off box.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

said by candiedbug:

I will not return any equipment to Comcast unless I can get proof that I returned it (ie: receipt). You can't get a receipt if you use the drop off box.

Well then I think you need to figure out a way to get it to them during business hours.

As far as I know, every job gives you vacation / personal days that you can use whenever you want. If a company does not offer that, I think that's breaking some rule somewhere (ACLU, OSHA, whatever). Not only that, one cannot work 7 days a week straight without time off either. There is another labor rule there to, and if never have a day off, you can get your company in trouble for that as well. Even people like Firefighters, Police Officers, Hospital Workers, etc get at least one day off every so many days.

So, take a vacation day, drive to your local Comcast office, and return it to them.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

candiedbug

Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Dang, now I got to report myself to OSHA

I own my own business plnecnerb that's why the crazy hours.

I just got called by someone from their tech support escalation team and they have absolutely no idea whats happening, they are going to send a tech to do diagnostics from my end, hopefully he can take the comcast owned modem with him and give me a receipt. I guess I'll have to take time off today.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Ahh! Yeah, I guess it is hard to do that when you run your own business. I did not think of that!

That's an option too. If a tech is coming out to check things, you may be able to give it to them and get a receipt.

Hope everything works out for you.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

candiedbug

Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

I hope it gets resolved too, I've been with comcast since back when they used to be TCI (since 1991 actually) and honestly I've never had many issues with them, I don't want to have to switch companies because frankly I'm quite happy with the service. I guess what upset me is that they have something as important as customer's access to their service in the hands of automated software.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to candiedbug

I've had nothing but trouble with Comcast over owned and leased modems over the years. And I don't blame the guy for not wanting to go to a service center. Those depressing places are bastions of inefficiency and wasted time.

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City Beach, FL
reply to candiedbug

I have dropped equipment off inside a service center, gotten a receipt, and STILL been told I didn't. Got it resolved because I had the receipt, so I can see OP's point about that!