join:2004-06-21

2 edits

Anonymous_ to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym

Re: I just got a Smart meter notice

said by ke4pym:

said by tkdslr:

Note: Their is likely to remote disconnect relay inside your smart meter, under software control.. be advised.. (significantly more failure points, increased fire hazard, loss of privacy/security)

I don't get the loss of privacy thing. But maybe it is my usage patterns.

Good luck telling by the meter spinning whether I'm home or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm irate at this whole NSA thing. But privacy loss from a smart meter? I don't get that.

smart meter can tell what is turned on i.e A/C , light bulb , stove(if electric or electric ignition ) your computer ,TV etc.............................................

Allows Power Co. complete control of your "smart" appliances. That means the food in your smart fridge is subject to go bad at power co will.
Usage data is profitable activity for the electric co sold to 3rd partys such as Google, government , your cable Co. etc..

Targeted ads to your TV i.e hamburger helper with cheese , kraft cheese sandwich. is shown when you turn on you stove

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by Anonymous_:

smart meter can tell what is turned on
Allows Power Co. complete control of your "smart" appliances.

Could you enlighten us on how this is accomplished.

How does the utility identify a specific device and how do they make the association that allows them to control it?

/tom

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by tschmidt:

said by Anonymous_:

How does the utility identify a specific device and how do they make the association that allows them to control it?

/tom

power grid drops in frequency from 59.99hz to the threshold on the chip For example: Let say 59.5hz
your "smart fridge" will turn off tell it rises back passed the threshold of 59.7hz.

With the chipped appliances

they can retain the MAXIMIZED profit without upgrading the Infrastructure.

»www.nbcnews.com/id/45946 ··· JOD4XrrY

devices log homeowners' electricity usage in 2-second intervals

based on the fingerprint of power usage, were able to tell not only whether or not the homeowners were home, away or even sleeping, but also what movie they were watching on TV.

That data is VERY useful to sell for $$$$ to 3rd advertisers parties

data along with your GAS,WATER, smart meter data
they can know your whole life

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Bu77s4it

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
Wow, for a second there I thought I was reading a thread in the Security forum.

Yeah, anyway, back to the real world...

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to tschmidt

MVM

to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

said by Anonymous_:

There is a nugget of truth behind those statements.

Regarding the claim that the smart meter can tell what is turned on:
The electronic meter knows the current line voltage, the combined current (total load of all devices) as well as the phase shift between peak voltage and peak current (power factor). It uses that information to compute power usage. The "smart" part of the meter is separate from the metering part and in most cases manufactured by a different company. There is some communication between the electronic meter and the "smarts" but this is usually limited to periodic polling of the current power consumption values. While it is technically possible to make the granularity of the polling interval so small that the turning on and off of individual devices is being captured, this is not practical due to the amount of data that would be generated. All the utility company sees is averaged power utilization during the interval time (1 hour in our case).

Regarding the ability to control smart appliances:
This varies between the different smart meters. Some utility companies (PG&E included) have added home automation control interfaces into their smart meters (for example ZigBee). The publicly stated goals are to make available to the homeowner the ability to remote control those appliances by using the utility company smart grid (through an Internet portal maintained by the utility company). There is of course no way to be sure the utility company wouldn't abuse this access once it has been granted nor is there any guarantee that their portal will withstand attacks from 3rd parties (playing mischief for some or destabilizing the entire grid by causing load changes for millions at the same time). It is probably worth emphasizing that control of smart appliances by the utility company is not possible unless the homeowner first granted access to those devices.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
MVM,
join:2001-01-27
22152-1106
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

grobinette to Snakeoil

MVM,

to Snakeoil
Let's try to put the tin foil hats away about what they can and will monitor with the smart meters. There are plenty of other entities monitoring what people do that you should be paranoid worried about and none of that applies to this forum.

Snakeoil See Profile just wanted to know about his specific power company and if there were any malfunctions with the meter they were using.
Expand your moderator at work