spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

frisco

@charter.com

Can't get router to work

I recently moved, and got the Charter Triple Play package. I am trying to set up a network for my Kindle and laptop. This Arris modem doesn't seem to allow me to do that. With my old ATT service, I just plugged the cable from the modem to the router. How do I get this set up? This is cable service, where I am used to telco service. Help!

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

Make sure that the lan is on the proper subnet. That was my downfall when I switched from DSL to cable. The router output for some reason changed. Only stuff that drew an IP from the router would work. It stumped me for hours ....

frisco

@charter.com

Make sure that the lan is on the proper subnet.

How do I do that? I don't mean to sound dumb. I've always been able to set up a network when I had DSL. This cable is driving me crazy. I would call them, but my phone doesn't work.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to frisco

coax cable connected to modem then Ethernet connecting modem to router. After that it should be easier than DSL. No dealing with PPPoe and usernames and passwords and such.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to frisco

said by frisco :

I would call them, but my phone doesn't work.

It sounds like you've changed some stuff around since the install. If your phone isn't working, in addition to your internet, something is broken big time. Please report back which lights on the modem are on and what color they are.

frisco

@charter.com

It hasn't worked since they put it in, because I only had a laptop here. Something shorted out the power cable on the phone. The first light isn't lit on the modem. The 3rd and 5th lights are flashing orange. All of the rest (2,4,6 and 7) are a solid green. They didn't set up anything. I can get on the internet, but can not get a WIFI connection through my Cisco router to use my Kindle.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Callcentric

said by frisco :

It hasn't worked since they put it in, because I only had a laptop here. Something shorted out the power cable on the phone. The first light isn't lit on the modem. The 3rd and 5th lights are flashing orange. All of the rest (2,4,6 and 7) are a solid green. They didn't set up anything. I can get on the internet, but can not get a WIFI connection through my Cisco router to use my Kindle.

Then from the sounds of this "problem" description, there isn't anything wrong with your ARRIS modem and all of your problems are on your personal devices.

Can you access your routers setup?
What is the IP address your laptop currently has?

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
Greenville, SC
reply to frisco

As BF69 said, the router setup for cable is different from DSL. For DSL your router has to be in PPPoE mode. For cable, it does not. So on the main setup page change that setting from PPPoE to DHCP, and it should work. You might have to also clone your PC's MAC address. That's a setting on another page. Try those changes and reboot your modem, router and PC and see if that helps.

Kline

join:2010-02-09
O Fallon, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to frisco

This might be bit more in-depth, but it's also possible your router is incompatible with Charter's DHCP packets. This happened to me (yes, running custom firmware, yes, I fixed it myself as it's my own problem; but a problem that only occurred after Charter changed settings on their end) and a friend (using manufacturer firmware on a different router).

See this OpenWRT thread for some details: »forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=38487

Slim chance this is your problem, but it's still a possibility. If you connect your laptop direct to the modem, does it work properly? If so, it's still possible this DHCP "bug" is your problem.

Strange Data

join:2012-08-25
reply to frisco

Here's what I would do. Hook up the router to the Arris, and any hard wired computers that you want to the router. At this point it doesn't matter if you can get on the internet or not, just hook them up. Then, do a factory reset on the router. After about a minute or so, do a hard reset on the Arris. Not just power cycle resets either, there should be a reset button on both your devices. Wait for both devices to cycle, and you should be good to go