spc
Search similar:

uniqs

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to TheTechGuru

to TheTechGuru

Re: Uninsulated Power Line Over My Roof, Does That Meet Code?

That distribution circuit was just replaced a few months ago. The old primaries had 4 splices in that span from various storms

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to PSWired

MVM

to PSWired
said by PSWired:

Here's mine:

Wow is that an optical illusion or are the phone line actually resting on the peak of your roof? If not now then in hot summer or winter ice storm sag?

As nunya See Profile posted utility best practice is spelled out by the NESC. I have to assume they have clearance specs over roof tops, but then I don't work in the field.

Makes me happy we built our house in the boonies with a couple of hundred feet underground near the house.

/tom

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

Now having a primary over a roof might be ok IF they have a system in place that detects breaks (from the sudden drop in load) and shuts the power off before the wire hits the ground (or in this case roof).

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to tschmidt

to tschmidt
It's about 4" above the roof now, but in the peak of summer it can touch. I've not been here through an ice storm but I'm sure it'd touch then too.

I have been bothering Verizon to get their stuff moved over to the new poles that were put in this winter. When they do that, I can't imagine they'll leave them at the current height. The new poles are much taller, leaving more communication space to use.

Also, there's a recloser on this feeder, but it tries a few times before giving up. Probably enough times to light my roof on fire

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by PSWired:

Also, there's a recloser on this feeder, but it tries a few times before giving up.

I believe reclosers cycle three times before giving up.
Expand your moderator at work
Jackal1
join:2010-08-10
Lincoln, NE

Jackal1 to John Galt6

to John Galt6

Re: Uninsulated Power Line Over My Roof, Does That Meet Code?

Not always. Depends on the circuit.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

i never seen hi voltage hydro lines over a building in canada before, i believe it does not meet Canadian electrical Code requirements (CEC)

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

1 recommendation

Cho Baka

MVM

said by Pauly:

i never seen hi voltage hydro lines over a building in canada before, i believe it does not meet Canadian electrical Code requirements (CEC)

Water you talking about?

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga to Pauly

to Pauly
said by Pauly:

Remember, just because it doesn't meet code now, doesn't mean it never did.

And Canada's a big place.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to TheTechGuru

Premium Member

to TheTechGuru
Interesting thread.

If it were me, I'd check my deed for easements or rights of way before proceeding. I wouldn't look for the utility company to undertake an expensive move if they don't have to.

I know some companies will run lines across property whthout any permission. I had United Telephone actuall string phone wire on top of our fence to a neighbor's house. My compl;aints went unheeded. One day i called and told them squirrels were gnawing on the wires and unless they moved it, the wires might soon be cut. A guy came out two days later anmd rerouted them off our property.

In another case, Time Warner used a neighbor's two story garage/barn to anchor a cable without asking the neighbor. He told them they could either give him free internet and cable or the wire would be cut loose. He got the free cable and internet.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

1 recommendation

TheTechGuru

said by EGeezer:

In another case, Time Warner used a neighbor's two story garage/barn to anchor a cable without asking the neighbor. He told them they could either give him free internet and cable or the wire would be cut loose. He got the free cable and internet.

Wow, we can all only wish for that to happen, lol.