All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to TheTechGuru

to TheTechGuru

Re: Uninsulated Power Line Over My Roof, Does That Meet Code?

I wonder, what happens if a kite gets in contact with one of those?

I ask because my son was flying his kite in a huge open park but started running towards a narrower section of the park where a high voltage uninsulated line went across.

Got me thinking as to the dangers on something like this.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

1 recommendation

cybersaga

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· DTVk0R-k

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

I wonder, what happens if a kite gets in contact with one of those?

I ask because my son was flying his kite in a huge open park but started running towards a narrower section of the park where a high voltage uninsulated line went across.

Got me thinking as to the dangers on something like this.

Depends, 120V line, probably nothing unless the string is wet, high voltage kv+ line, possibly a arc flash down the string.

I've seen metal car ports fly up into lines in storm, now that's a bright show (be sure to wear welding goggles if you watch one and put on sun block).

In reply to others, most likely the house was here first, it's a 1940's ish red/orange large cinder-block size brick that has been remodeled and painted.

Being able to put up my antenna is only my second concern, my first is what if the line were to break in a storm? I don't want it arcing on my house. The run is pretty long too, looks 300-400 feet. As a ex cable installer I've seen and been around a lot of lines and I can not recall a instance of seeing HV lines running over a home.
TheTechGuru

TheTechGuru to cybersaga

to cybersaga
said by cybersaga:

(youtube clip)

Yes, as I said, arc flash if HV lines.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by TheTechGuru:

said by cybersaga:

(youtube clip)

Yes, as I said, arc flash if HV lines.

Not THOSE HV lines.

It's the distribution line to feed the transformers. They're something like 12kV

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to TheTechGuru

Premium Member

to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

Being able to put up my antenna is only my second concern, my first is what if the line were to break in a storm? I don't want it arcing on my house. The run is pretty long too, looks 300-400 feet.

This is the strongest argument you have when discussing it with the utility. Don't mention the antenna at all.