El Quintron to wesm

Premium Member

to wesm

Re: give me standalone HBOGO

said by wesm:

said by inteller:

and this "problem" will go away.

Don't consume content you didn't pay for and this problem will "never exist."

I suppose you're a big believer in abstinence education as well.

wesm
Premium Member
join:1999-07-29
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

wesm

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

Don't be rude; whether or not to pay to watch a television show is in a completely different area code than reproductive education.

Besides, no, I don't.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by wesm:

said by El Quintron:

Don't be rude; whether or not to pay to watch a television show is in a completely different area code than reproductive education.

Besides, no, I don't.

A blanket statement like "don't pirate" really isn't helpful either.

HBO wasn't even available in Canada, nor was its entire catalogue through its partners until 2008, there's a whole market issue that you ignored by making your initial statement.

wesm
Premium Member
join:1999-07-29
Seattle, WA

wesm

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

A blanket statement like "don't pirate" really isn't helpful either.

HBO wasn't even available in Canada, nor was its entire catalogue through its partners until 2008, there's a whole market issue that you ignored by making your initial statement.

And the sixth season of Murdoch Mysteries isn't available in the United States unless you're a U.S. viewer who subscribes to Comcast in certain areas of the country (which, until recently, I wasn't) that provides CBC. It sucks, is annoying, and means I can't find out whether or not that time traveler was full of crap, but them's the breaks. Again, it's just TV so I'll wait until Netflix or somebody here gets it. Fortunately, Continuum is still picked up by Syfy.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 edit

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by wesm:

Again, it's just TV so I'll wait until Netflix or somebody here gets it.

The difference being that Netflix (edit: streaming) will never, ever get Game of Thrones. You have to shell out for a top tier cable subscription every month just to watch it legally, there is no other option. Piracy will continue on this scale because of that.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to wesm

Premium Member

to wesm
said by wesm:

but them's the breaks.

If I can't buy it, then I'm pirating it, and them's breaks.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by wesm:

but them's the breaks.

If I can't buy it, then I'm pirating it, and them's breaks.

It's for sale, so buy it. HBO did not lock this title down.

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

1 recommendation

PaulHikeS2 to TheBionic

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

said by wesm:

The difference being that Netflix (edit: streaming) will never, ever get Game of Thrones. You have to shell out for a top tier cable subscription every month just to watch it legally, there is no other option. Piracy will continue on this scale because of that.

Not true. Buy the DVDs. Rent the DVDs. Borrow DVDs from library. All are legal, and while abailability of the last two may vary, in this country everyone can buy the DVDs.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to markofmayhem

Premium Member

to markofmayhem
said by markofmayhem:

You're missing the point.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by markofmayhem:

You're missing the point.

I'm not, I'm trying to defend the definition of "locked down". There is certainly an argument that the premium for earlier viewership is extreme, but this is not a case where it is "not available" or locked down to alternative legal consumption.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to markofmayhem

to markofmayhem
Well if you count streaming or buying the physical media sometime in March of 2014 not locked down, I dont know what is and like $80 for the bluray. If you realize there are only 10 episodes that works out to like $8 an episode, which IMHO is crazy high. Of course I wont buy it, but if you do the math that is a serious ask considering that I can get a full year of Netflix for just the blu ray of GOT.

On the other hand, Time Warner owns it, and can go to market as they please, so it's a corporate decision...Godspeed to living in the 18th century. For the vocal minority a huge swath (20+mil just in the US) blindly subscribe, so they don't want to disrupt that very profitable channel model (they can run reruns during the offseason to keep subs or allow hbogo). So I get that for now being flexible does not make sense as they subscriber base it steady and large. If 6 million pirate, how many of them subscribe to HBO/HBOGO, buy stuff, read the books. It's not a zero sum game, and they know it. Look at how draconian Disney is with their films and how much $$$ they make on ancillary product...

If I recall in the last ten years, my top ten show are almost entirely from the Time Warner properties, so you have to pay for quality. I mean you can get teenagers running around a stage or some tropical island for "free" on broadcast.

They must have sent some of their execs to Microsoft to poison the well over there too

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to PaulHikeS2

Premium Member

to PaulHikeS2
said by PaulHikeS2:

said by TheBionic:

said by wesm:

Not true. Buy the DVDs. Rent the DVDs. Borrow DVDs from library. All are legal, and while abailability of the last two may vary, in this country everyone can buy the DVDs.

Season 3 is out on DVD? No. And if the past two years is any indication, it won't be until early 2014. Until then the only options are an HBO subscription (and all the other channels you have to buy before you can get that) and piracy. Netflix Streaming will never get GoT.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

Premium Member

to markofmayhem
said by markofmayhem:

There is certainly an argument that the premium for earlier viewership is extreme, but this is not a case where it is "not available" or locked down to alternative legal consumption.

Having to wait for it to be released on DVD/BluRay is not in line with what consumers want, that being said, HBOs main income stream isn't from cable subs, it's from being bundled with other channels which is why they mainly look the other way when it comes to piracy.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to PaulHikeS2

to PaulHikeS2
said by PaulHikeS2:

Oh can I get the DVDs now? Nope. Heck you can't even download episodes at places like Amazon day after air like just about every other series not on HBO. Season 3 won't be available until around February. Long after everyone has torrented it. That right there would cut down on a a lot of piracy. Though I do have an issue about paying $4 per episode. Heck I have an issue with regular shows being $3 per episode.

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

1 edit

PaulHikeS2 to TheBionic

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

Season 3 is out on DVD? No. And if the past two years is any indication, it won't be until early 2014. Until then the only options are an HBO subscription (and all the other channels you have to buy before you can get that) and piracy. Netflix Streaming will never get GoT.

Of course it's not out yet. What, you need it today?

I guess you also have the same issue with every single movie that comes out for theatrical release. Until it comes out on DVD/streaming services (which happen around the same time), you're choices are paying to see the movie or piracy.

(edit - changed text as a later post stated that you do not condone piracy - sorry!)

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by markofmayhem:

There is certainly an argument that the premium for earlier viewership is extreme, but this is not a case where it is "not available" or locked down to alternative legal consumption.

Having to wait for it to be released on DVD/BluRay is not in line with what consumers want

I'm not so sure that path is correct either:
said by link :

5.4 million viewers tuned in to "Mhysa" to witness the fallout from last week's much-buzzed-about "Red Wedding" episode. That falls just short of the season's peak viewership: The 5.5 million viewers who tuned in for episode six, "The Climb."

The fantasy saga has shown steady and impressive ratings growth through its first three seasons. Season 3 averaged 5.16 million viewers for first run episodes, up from Season 2's average of 3.8 million viewers and Season 1's 2.52 million viewers.

HBO also reported a average audience of 13.6 million viewers for "Game of Thrones" Season 3 over all network airings, on demand, HBO Go and DVR, an increase of two million viewers from Season 2.

Piracy isn't high enough for the financial-loss monster to be a motivator. The movement is growing and WILL eventually take a foothold to liberate availability of entertainment past the current pay models, but Game of Thrones Season 3 is not it...

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

2 edits

TheBionic to PaulHikeS2

Premium Member

to PaulHikeS2
said by PaulHikeS2:

said by TheBionic:

I guess you also have the same issue with every single movie that comes out for theatrical release. Until it comes out on DVD/streaming services (which happen around the same time), you're choices are paying to see the movie or piracy.

While the system has some limitations, your answer speaks more to your character.

FWIW, I am all over these boards denouncing piracy every chance I get (check out my first post in this thread). I have an HBO subscription and have bought the blu ray sets of both seasons of GoT, and have pre-ordered Season 3. I am merely pointing out that HBO's severe locking down of their content and lack of legal means to consume it encourages piracy. It's common sense.

(edit - removing text to play nice)
TheBionic

TheBionic to PaulHikeS2

Premium Member

to PaulHikeS2
said by PaulHikeS2:

said by TheBionic:

(edit - changed text as a later post stated that you do not condone piracy - sorry!)

Earlier posts stated it too, but thanks . But piracy in movies and other tv shows happen, sure, and no I don't condone that either. The reason HBO continues to top these most pirated lists is the level of control they exert over their content. Movies don't generally have to wait almost a year after theatrical release to be released for rental, and some tv episodes are available on Netflix or other streaming methods very soon after they have aired. The result is lower piracy rates than, say, Game of Thrones, which gets a LOT of attention but lacks methods of legal viewing for very long periods of time. Again, piracy is bad, but if it's easier to pirate than to view legally, piracy rates are going to rise because of it. If HBO wants to curb piracy (and it has been suggested by others in this thread that piracy is less expensive than other options for HBO) they need to change their business model and ease restrictions on content. If not, that's their business, but these piracy rates shouldn't come as a surprise.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

Premium Member

to markofmayhem
said by markofmayhem:

Piracy isn't high enough for the financial-loss monster to be a motivator.

I've stated as much before, HBOs current cash flow isn't from subs, and it explains how they can hold on to the legacy tv model for now.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to wesm

to wesm
said by wesm:

Fortunately, Continuum is still picked up by Syfy.

With only a 5 week embargo/delay. While a delay as opposed to running a show as it airs in its original network is nice, a slight delay is betting than holding a show back until it has finished airing. IOW: A 5 week delay is better than them running a year old (and already canceled) show like Primeval: New World.

My opinion on the "Piracy" issue tends to be it is not stealing to BT something that the provider is unwilling to provide to you which you are willing to buy. So long as HBO is unwilling to HBOGO sell me GoT (or some other of their series) they have no lo$$ if I BitTorrent the episodes (which I do not since I am not interested in that show). You can/should not claim a lost sale on something you are unwilling to sell.

Do not claim that an eventual sale of a show on DVD/BluRay next year counts as an offer to sell me the show. They are different items. The disks are an archived copy of the show to allow viewing it after it has ended its season run. HBOGO represents giving access to the episodes AS THEY AIR. BTW: Most DVD/BR sets get released just after the last episode of a season airs or a month or 2 after that point.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by RARPSL:

My opinion on the "Piracy" issue tends to be it is not stealing to BT something that the provider is unwilling to provide to you which you are willing to buy. So long as HBO is unwilling to HBOGO sell me GoT (or some other of their series) they have no lo$$ if I BitTorrent the episodes (which I do not since I am not interested in that show). You can/should not claim a lost sale on something you are unwilling to sell.

But they ARE willing to sell it to you (if you liked GoT, which I understand you do not). You can sign up and pay for HBO right now and watch Game of Thrones to your heart's content on HBO GO, along with everything else that service provides. You just don't like the terms. Don't confuse that as refusal to sell. They're selling; you're refusing to buy.

I am very in the middle on this argument. HBO's policies are encouraging piracy, but piracy is still wrong IMO.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by TheBionic:

But they ARE willing to sell it to you (if you liked GoT, which I understand you do not). You can sign up and pay for HBO right now and watch Game of Thrones to your heart's content on HBO GO, along with everything else that service provides. You just don't like the terms. Don't confuse that as refusal to sell. They're selling; you're refusing to buy.

I am very in the middle on this argument. HBO's policies are encouraging piracy, but piracy is still wrong IMO.

The big issue is that getting HBO which is only $15 dollars also requires a pay TV package which is in excess of $60 a month or more. Essentially making HBO closer to $75 or more which you have to admit it a bit price gougey.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

said by TheBionic:

The big issue is that getting HBO which is only $15 dollars also requires a pay TV package which is in excess of $60 a month or more. Essentially making HBO closer to $75 or more which you have to admit it a bit price gougey.

Oh yeah that's what I have been saying. It's a piracy inducing model. But to say "It's not for sale so I must pirate" is a tad disingenuous.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by TheBionic:

Oh yeah that's what I have been saying. It's a piracy inducing model. But to say "It's not for sale so I must pirate" is a tad disingenuous.

I don't agree with that either. But you also need to live in reality. look at prohibition. Sure the idea that we'd have a society where people wouldn't feel the need to get drunk sounds great. FORCING that on everyone didn't work out the way they planned. So eventually even the most staunchest prohibitionist admitted they needed to let people legally drink.

In a perfect world people wouldn't pirate if they couldn't get access to their content. In the REAL world that doesn't happen and to think if you only just allow people to access content one way legally that people will take that route, is just fantasy. Companies like HBO are like prohibitionists 6 years into prohibition when it was CLEAR to everyone else it wasn't working and in fact making things worse and they just kept saying "It'll work give it time".

As I said I make a HUGE distinction between the "I want everything for free" pirate. And the person that says "Hey HBO I'm willing to give you the SAME $15 if you would just take my money."

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
Here is where i stand on the issue, would i pay 10-15 month for HBO, yes. Can I no? Up here in Canada I have to shell out over $100 a month just to get to HBO which is bundled with the movie channels at some 20 or more a month.

Now I can buy it from iTunes , at $3.50/episode, and that's $35 bucks for ONE SERIES!!!!, but not in Canada.

So what's my choice? Go without, wait till the BR shows up next Winter? After the shows have been dissected, blogged analysed and speculation over S4 starts?
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

You make a valid point, though I suspect the number of people willing to pay for just HBO without basic cable is very very small. People are either TV junkies (i.e., willing to write that fat check every month) or they're not. I fall into the second category; I get by just fine with my eight OTA channels.

Actually I was laughing about this a few hours ago at a friends house.

"Here, have the remote."
"Ok, thanks."
[page down]
[page down]
[page down]

It's just like being at home, there's nothing worth watching, the only difference is it takes longer to figure that out when you have 100+ channels than it does when you have eight.
Crookshanks

Crookshanks to 88615298

to 88615298
If prohibition had passed fifty years ago instead of one hundred years ago it would still be in effect, even with all the negative consequences that came with it.

If anyone is inclined to dispute this assumption on my part I have a four word rebuttal for you: "The War on Drugs"

A pity we've grown so stubborn that we're lost the ability to learn from and fix our mistakes...