share rss forum feed

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

HBO costs too much.

HBO makes some pretty decent content.

The problem is they rarely have more than one show airing at any given time that I would watch.

Game of Thrones, then True Blood, Then Boardwalk Empire. They are all great shows.

I can't see myself pay 15/month for one show. I'd rather buy the bluray when its done airing and have it in my collection.

ie. A streaming HBO option would have to be cheaper than what my cableco charges for it (for me to consider it).

FloridaBoy

join:2009-06-22
Bradenton, FL
If they had a streaming video option, would they continue to make these shows??

I remember looking up what it cost HBO for the first season of Thrones and it was around 60 million. I doubt they would make the series if all they had was people paying a small streaming amount.

I am not saying you are wrong about being expensive, I just dont think they would have made the show without the monthly payment they get from a lot of folks.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Don't forget physical media sales and the endless re-runs and eventual re-broadcasting on another, more available network.

FloridaBoy

join:2009-06-22
Bradenton, FL
Morbo, that is true only after it has been noticed and been well received.

My only point was, considering the crap that is mostly shown on TV these days, I dont know if HBO would have gone ahead with the show of they could only rely on HBOtoGO streaming revenue.

I think the monthly subscriptions are why you are seeing different and, generally, well run shows under the subscription channels.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
No one can eliminate all risk from business ventures.

HBO is in a tough spot. They need to adapt to survive else Netflix and others will slowly eat them alive.