Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
reply to El Quintron

Re: give me standalone HBOGO

said by El Quintron:

said by markofmayhem:

It's for sale, so buy it. HBO did not lock this title down.

You're missing the point.

I'm not, I'm trying to defend the definition of "locked down". There is certainly an argument that the premium for earlier viewership is extreme, but this is not a case where it is "not available" or locked down to alternative legal consumption.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by markofmayhem:

There is certainly an argument that the premium for earlier viewership is extreme, but this is not a case where it is "not available" or locked down to alternative legal consumption.

Having to wait for it to be released on DVD/BluRay is not in line with what consumers want, that being said, HBOs main income stream isn't from cable subs, it's from being bundled with other channels which is why they mainly look the other way when it comes to piracy.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
said by El Quintron:

said by markofmayhem:

There is certainly an argument that the premium for earlier viewership is extreme, but this is not a case where it is "not available" or locked down to alternative legal consumption.

Having to wait for it to be released on DVD/BluRay is not in line with what consumers want

I'm not so sure that path is correct either:

said by link :

5.4 million viewers tuned in to "Mhysa" to witness the fallout from last week's much-buzzed-about "Red Wedding" episode. That falls just short of the season's peak viewership: The 5.5 million viewers who tuned in for episode six, "The Climb."

The fantasy saga has shown steady and impressive ratings growth through its first three seasons. Season 3 averaged 5.16 million viewers for first run episodes, up from Season 2's average of 3.8 million viewers and Season 1's 2.52 million viewers.

HBO also reported a average audience of 13.6 million viewers for "Game of Thrones" Season 3 over all network airings, on demand, HBO Go and DVR, an increase of two million viewers from Season 2.

Piracy isn't high enough for the financial-loss monster to be a motivator. The movement is growing and WILL eventually take a foothold to liberate availability of entertainment past the current pay models, but Game of Thrones Season 3 is not it...
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by markofmayhem:

Piracy isn't high enough for the financial-loss monster to be a motivator.

I've stated as much before, HBOs current cash flow isn't from subs, and it explains how they can hold on to the legacy tv model for now.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have