Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit

1 recommendation

baineschile

Premium Member

Screw this article

So, a company runs their business as they see fit; and because people think its too expensive, its ok to steal (edit: its technically copyright violation, as pointed out below. Either way, against the law)?

I live in Michigan, and right now, we are averaging the highest gas prices in the country (sans Hawaii). Maybe I should just steal some gas, because I think its too expensive.

If HBO saw profit in a standalone service, they would do it. People engaging in ILLEGAL ACTIVITY shouldnt sway a company to do things differently. Look at the previous article on this very newspage; Microsoft is being chastized for DRM and all the limitations, and Playstation is being applauded for doing the opposite.

I am fairly certain of one thing. People are going to steal regardless of how much something costs.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

Re: Screw this article

said by baineschile:

People doing ILLEGAL ACTIVITY shouldnt sway a company to do things differently.

In 100-1000 years, looking back:

It will be either called "crime" or "revolution" by the side that wins and is granted with how the history will be written.

Us Americans shouldn't have stolen and then destroyed that tea, either.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by markofmayhem:

It will be either called "crime" or "revolution" by the side that wins and is granted with how the history will be written.

Even though I'm clearly on the new media side of this argument, I'd venture forth to say that you have a pretty optimistic outlook, when you say one side is going to win over the other.

My prediction is that both sides are going to remain in their respective echo chambers and pretend the other doesn't exist, until their position becomes so unsustainable they have no choice but to acknowledge the other side exists.
said by markofmayhem:

Us Americans shouldn't have stolen and then destroyed that tea, either.

Destroying the tea with an obvious act of war/rebellion, I don't think it's a fair comparison. A more apt analogy would be the USA's refusal to acknowledge European copyrights in America during its founding days

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to baineschile

Premium Member

to baineschile
said by baineschile:

I am fairly certain of one thing. People are going to steal regardless of how much something costs.

Not true. I used to steal all my music but now i use spotify because they've finally created a model that makes sense. I refused to buy CDs because i wouldn't listen to the whole album and i also refused to download the virus called itunes on my PC.
Spotify fixed the music industry and i know plenty of people that have stopped pirating and statistics back it up.

Same with Netflix. If the movie is available on netflix it is not pirated as much. I'm not going to buy a DVD at walmart and sit through 2 mins of unskippable warnings and trailers but i will watch the movie on Netflix because i have no problem supporting that model. Netflix, just like spotify changed the industry and it reduces piracy because the legit method uses common sense and makes sense.

If the model makes sense people will use the legit way. If the model doesn't make sense, they will pirate.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

So you use spotify, as done everyone else. No one has stolen music since the end of Napster.

I buy my food at the grocery store, therefore no one else steals from there.

/sarcasm

I stated PEOPLE will steal, not EVERYONE will steal.

Also, movies on Netflix are pirated as much (though, we have no stastical data to back that up) because most movies that are stolen are a few weeks released in the theater. Netflix is usually 2+ older movies.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

said by baineschile:

So you use spotify, as done everyone else. No one has stolen music since the end of Napster.

I buy my food at the grocery store, therefore no one else steals from there.

/sarcasm

I stated PEOPLE will steal, not EVERYONE will steal.

Also, movies on Netflix are pirated as much (though, we have no stastical data to back that up) because most movies that are stolen are a few weeks released in the theater. Netflix is usually 2+ older movies.

No you said " People are going to steal regardless of how much something costs". I proved that is not the case.

Try reading what i said again.

Also, no statistical backup? Try again.

»www.billboard.com/biz/ar ··· s-piracy
quote:
Netflixs chief content officer says BitTorrent traffic drops as the Netflix traffic grows when the service launches in a territory
»www.ubergizmo.com/2011/0 ··· america/

Also, you're an idiot if you compare stealing of physical things with non-material things. Studio isn't losing a sale because i stole a movie. If i wasn't going to buy the movie anyway, they lost nothing.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to baineschile

Premium Member

to baineschile
It is not theft ya numb nuts, It is a copyright violation.

Using the OP's very poor and improper gas analogy, What if you could copy the gasoline your friend had? would you do that? Now what if you could copy that gas over the internet with thousands of other people and all you would do is "torrent" a full tank of gas. Would you consider that stealing from ExxonMobile?

I am not saying downloading the TV show is right but just pointing out it is not theft.

*Even using my gas copy analogy is off though because nobody owns the rights to gasoline, If you could copy it nobody could sue you because it is not copyrighted as it is just a liquid fuel.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

If you created a movie, song, or piece of software, where some people paid for it, and some people "copied" it, Im sure youd consider it STEALING, I sure as hell do.

So call me numb nuts too.