join:2009-07-06
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic to RARPSL

Premium Member

to RARPSL

Re: give me standalone HBOGO

said by RARPSL:

My opinion on the "Piracy" issue tends to be it is not stealing to BT something that the provider is unwilling to provide to you which you are willing to buy. So long as HBO is unwilling to HBOGO sell me GoT (or some other of their series) they have no lo$$ if I BitTorrent the episodes (which I do not since I am not interested in that show). You can/should not claim a lost sale on something you are unwilling to sell.

But they ARE willing to sell it to you (if you liked GoT, which I understand you do not). You can sign up and pay for HBO right now and watch Game of Thrones to your heart's content on HBO GO, along with everything else that service provides. You just don't like the terms. Don't confuse that as refusal to sell. They're selling; you're refusing to buy.

I am very in the middle on this argument. HBO's policies are encouraging piracy, but piracy is still wrong IMO.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by TheBionic:

But they ARE willing to sell it to you (if you liked GoT, which I understand you do not). You can sign up and pay for HBO right now and watch Game of Thrones to your heart's content on HBO GO, along with everything else that service provides. You just don't like the terms. Don't confuse that as refusal to sell. They're selling; you're refusing to buy.

I am very in the middle on this argument. HBO's policies are encouraging piracy, but piracy is still wrong IMO.

The big issue is that getting HBO which is only $15 dollars also requires a pay TV package which is in excess of $60 a month or more. Essentially making HBO closer to $75 or more which you have to admit it a bit price gougey.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

said by TheBionic:

The big issue is that getting HBO which is only $15 dollars also requires a pay TV package which is in excess of $60 a month or more. Essentially making HBO closer to $75 or more which you have to admit it a bit price gougey.

Oh yeah that's what I have been saying. It's a piracy inducing model. But to say "It's not for sale so I must pirate" is a tad disingenuous.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by TheBionic:

Oh yeah that's what I have been saying. It's a piracy inducing model. But to say "It's not for sale so I must pirate" is a tad disingenuous.

I don't agree with that either. But you also need to live in reality. look at prohibition. Sure the idea that we'd have a society where people wouldn't feel the need to get drunk sounds great. FORCING that on everyone didn't work out the way they planned. So eventually even the most staunchest prohibitionist admitted they needed to let people legally drink.

In a perfect world people wouldn't pirate if they couldn't get access to their content. In the REAL world that doesn't happen and to think if you only just allow people to access content one way legally that people will take that route, is just fantasy. Companies like HBO are like prohibitionists 6 years into prohibition when it was CLEAR to everyone else it wasn't working and in fact making things worse and they just kept saying "It'll work give it time".

As I said I make a HUGE distinction between the "I want everything for free" pirate. And the person that says "Hey HBO I'm willing to give you the SAME $15 if you would just take my money."
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

You make a valid point, though I suspect the number of people willing to pay for just HBO without basic cable is very very small. People are either TV junkies (i.e., willing to write that fat check every month) or they're not. I fall into the second category; I get by just fine with my eight OTA channels.

Actually I was laughing about this a few hours ago at a friends house.

"Here, have the remote."
"Ok, thanks."
[page down]
[page down]
[page down]

It's just like being at home, there's nothing worth watching, the only difference is it takes longer to figure that out when you have 100+ channels than it does when you have eight.
Crookshanks

Crookshanks to 88615298

to 88615298
If prohibition had passed fifty years ago instead of one hundred years ago it would still be in effect, even with all the negative consequences that came with it.

If anyone is inclined to dispute this assumption on my part I have a four word rebuttal for you: "The War on Drugs"

A pity we've grown so stubborn that we're lost the ability to learn from and fix our mistakes...