spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kessel43

join:2012-12-30

[Extreme Plus] Keep rogers modem or install my DCM 476? Advise p

Hey folks, I recently got a bundle deal with Rogers and I switched over from Teksavvy. I still have my new DCM 476 modem that I bought to use with Teksavvy.

I was just wondering if there is an advantage in switching the modem that Rogers installed with my own DCM 476?

Internet service: Extreme plus
Rogers modem: CGN2-ROG, SW Ver. 3.1.6.3b, HW Ver. 1A

Right now I am using the Rogers modem as a modem only. I hooked up my own dual-band router with the Rogers modem, and I turned off wifi on the modem so that only my router would send out wifi signals.

Thanks for any input.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

Re: [Extreme Plus] Keep rogers modem or install my DCM 476? Advi

The question is, will Rogers enable your service with a DCM476 3rd party modem. They have the habit of not enabling service with any modem they did not supply.

kessel43

join:2012-12-30
I thought it would be a simple swap lol...

Is it even worth it though? Is the DCM 476 better than the modem rogers supplied?

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to sbrook
said by sbrook:

They have the habit of not enabling service with any modem they did not supply.

No, now I wouldn't say that.

A better statement would be: Rogers does not make it easy for the average Joe to enable service with a 3rd party modem but if you call customer fulfillment and the rep knows how to provision it then no one at rogers really gives a crap if the rep breaks the "internal policy" by provisioning it for you.

I'd say give it a try.

Direct number for customer fulfillment is 1-877-236-7208.

If you are renting the hitron then you will save $8; otherwise the hitron in bridge mode is an excellent modem.

Also if you don't mind me asking why did you switched to rogers, was it the bundle or you just didn't like teksavvy's service and what kind of discount did you get from rogers?

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
said by technocar2:

A better statement would be: Rogers does not make it easy for the average Joe to enable service with a 3rd party modem but if you call customer fulfillment and the rep knows how to provision it then no one at rogers really gives a crap if the rep breaks the "internal policy" by provisioning it for you.

And don't you run the risk of a 3rd-party D3 modem being provisioned under a D2 profile?

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2
said by JAC70:

said by technocar2:

And don't you run the risk of a 3rd-party D3 modem being provisioned under a D2 profile?

Nope, my SB6141 is provisioned as a hitron which is a D3 modem and I'm on 150/10; and like I said if the rep knows what he/she is doing then its no problem because they will how to put it as a hitron.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
said by technocar2:

said by JAC70:

said by technocar2:

Nope, my SB6141 is provisioned as a hitron which is a D3 modem and I'm on 150/10; and like I said if the rep knows what he/she is doing then its no problem because they will how to put it as a hitron.

It's more willingness than knowing. It's very easy to trick the system into thinking it's a different type of modem, but most reps aren't going to do it because they're afraid they might get in trouble for it.

Epichappy

join:2012-05-14
Kitchener, ON

1 edit
reply to kessel43
Hey, sorry to bump this thread... but I was wondering... What did you say to fulfillment to get them to use the Modem. I have tried three different representatives and they all say that they can enter it as a hitron but it won't work and I'll just have no service. One person said she had worked in fulfillment for three years and that it was never possible.

Does anyone know the magic words to make them do it?

Thanks so much!

EDIT: I suppose I should mention I'm renting a hitron on 150/10 and want to get a DCM 476 provisioned.