wheelernatio
join:2013-06-11
Fresno, CA

wheelernatio

[Connectivity] Comcast HSI - Intermittent Connectivity Issues

Click for full size
Status screencap
Hi there

Relative newbie, so please be gentle. I have Comcast HSI, with Boost. Over the past few months, I have been experiencing intermittent loss of connectivity. My connection will go out for 30 seconds, 1 minute at a time.

It is never a really long time, but I work from home, and it makes using skype for any type of calls almost impossible. Sometimes I will have 10-20 of these issues per day...sometimes very few at all.

I have called Comcast several times, they just reset the modem and tried to push me to the signature service. I have gone in a replaced the modem I use from them (ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 Touchstone WideBand Cable Modem MODEL: CM820A) 3 times, and it does not seem to help. I am on a Mac, using a Time Capsule as my router. I have attached a screencap of the readings from the router info URL.

Anyone that can help, I would be beyond grateful. I am getting pretty darn frustrated.

- E

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Re: [Connectivity] Comcast HSI - Intermittent Connectivity Issue

Lets get this out of the way: have you tried a direct connection Mac to modem?
wheelernatio
Fresno, CA

wheelernatio

Hi. Actually I have not, because my house is built in a way that the modem is in a closet in the bedroom...then wired to the room with the time capsule, which I plug in via ethernet.

But, I will say that I have lived in this house for over 5 years, and have not always had this issue. Only recently has it started, and continued.
wheelernatio

wheelernatio

Click for full size
Adding a second screencap of my modem settings. Not sure what all the correcteds mean, but they have gone up dramatically just in the time since I first posted a screencap

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

You have the one channel that has a bit of an issue, but that wouldn't be the problem.

Without eliminating the router, you can not be sure it isn't the issue.
wheelernatio
Fresno, CA

wheelernatio

I hear what you are saying. So, just to confirm, you are saying that the settings off the Arris in the screenshots are normal numbers.

I know that we cannot 100% rule out the Airport Express, and not to be a Mac fanboy, but I have my reservations that the router is the issue, as that is the same router I have used for over 3 years, and it ran smoothly.

That said, if you are saying the only way is to directly connect the modem to the laptop, I can look at doing that