join:2013-06-01
United State
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to dbirdman

Re: how to port forwarding with hughes satellite internet

said by dbirdman:

said by james1979:

To see your "real" public IP, use an https reflector. One I know of is on the Gibson Research "Shields Up" page. go to grc.com and in the tabs at upper left choose Shields Up.

With the HT1000, this still isn't "your" public IPv4 address--it's the IPv4 address of the HughesNet NAT router that passes all of your (non-accelerated/non-HTTP) traffic. The HT1000 and the computers connected to it are *not* reachable from the Internet, period, unless you use their IPv6 addresses (which are globally routable).

I haven't tried an IP reflector with web acceleration, because I keep web acceleration off (it's evil), but it would make sense that it shows a different IPv4 address (the address of the HughesNet proxy).
I have this feeling that we may never see public IPv4 addresses for GEN4, and if we do, they will probably be limited to 1 per customer. I may be wrong, however. In the meantime, IPv6 "works" and there's other workarounds, like reverse SSH port forwarding if you control an SSH server somewhere else.

ptlamb

join:2013-06-25
reply to toohott7718
you do not need to port forward. I have the same thing and had the same problem....You can go to a site and not only access your security cam but your whole computer. Go to....... gotomypc.com. Its a site that cost $10 a month but you can sit at home or where ever and monitor your cam.

ptlamb

join:2013-06-25
what happens on "gotomypc.com" is you access the desktop of the computer your cam is on. You click on the icon for your cam and log in just as though you where there. The site is also free for the first 30 days. I'm still on the free 30 days. It seems to work just fine.....better then nothing at all, untill hughes offers Static.

toohott7718

join:2013-06-12
Wright City, MO
reply to JacksonTech
Is it hard to set up an IPv6 address?

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to toohott7718
I am surprised no one has mentioned this.

Though my research of my owm HN9000 on the GEN4 ConnectPRO plan I have found that I am in fact assigned my own dynamic IP address that IS PINGABLE from the internet but the HN9000 offers no way to map a port.

Anyone know if the HN9000 supports UPNP?
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
The 7000 also has a public dynamic address with no ports open, and I don't see how supporting UPNP (I don't believe it does) would help anything.

Even with a static IP account all ports remain closed to the 192.168.0.x private address block on the LAN. The static IP is on the LAN side, but is on the same subnet as the WAN side, so essentially the traffic between the two is switched rather than routed.
--
Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool traveling in a 2004 Blue Bird M380

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by dbirdman:

I don't see how supporting UPNP (I don't believe it does) would help anything.

If it supports UPNP one could map ports with a program like »www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti···agement/
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
The problem is that you assume supporting UPNP automatically makes everything possible. A device that supports UPNP supports it for it has available, not for everything under the sun. Since the router does not support port forwarding, having UPNP won't cause port forwarding to suddenly appear.

Again, I doubt the router has any UPNP support, but I don't think that is germane.
--
Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool traveling in a 2004 Blue Bird M380