how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Any cool ideas for this unassigned device box?

Click for full size
I originally planned to put a light switch there for some wall sconces, but that didn't happen.

Now I'm reworking the electrical in that corner because the idea of putting the computer desk there was done when we moved in (found a desk that was small enough).

Good thing I have access from the back.

So before I bring in the wiring for the receptacle at the bottom, I want to know what I can do with that top device box.

I am looking for something nifty/original. It doesn't have to be super useful unless it's expensive

Things that came to mind (but aren't necessarily cool)

1 - A duplex receptacle to plug in the odd cellphone/tablet charger.
2 - Some sort of light fixture that would fit over such a box (don't want to make a permanent bigger cut for the fixture box) and is turned on/off at the light itself.
3 - USB ports that connect to the computer that's on the other side of the wall.

So.... anything that comes up to YOUR mind?

Notice : Things look super high in comparison to the door. The door was cut down 8 inches, that's why.

shrug

@videotron.ca
A master control to shut off every device in the kids rooms. When your kids are older they are going to leave their TV on, radio on, lights on, and anything else possible.

You will then get annoyed going to each of their rooms twice a day to turn it all off as they are outside playing.

With a flip of a single switch you can now do it!

How? I leave that to the experts here.

Or, maybe a potential ceiling fan one day? I see the fireplace in other pic's, so a fan turning air upwards might not be a bad idea to try and get a flow of hot air up in the winter. Same with AC. The basement will end up 5C cooler, you will be cold, maybe use a ceiling fan to move it.

Just thoughts off the top of my head.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to alkizmo
IR motion detector for a future alarm system.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by shrug :

A master control to shut off every device in the kids rooms. When your kids are older they are going to leave their TV on, radio on, lights on, and anything else possible.

You will then get annoyed going to each of their rooms twice a day to turn it all off as they are outside playing.

With a flip of a single switch you can now do it!

How? I leave that to the experts here.

I like your thinking and I am way ahead of you

We all know what their technology will rely upon in the very near future and that's the internet. Heck it's already the case, we don't have cable TV. All I need to do is tell my router to deny access to the devices I want.

said by shrug :

Or, maybe a potential ceiling fan one day? I see the fireplace in other pic's, so a fan turning air upwards might not be a bad idea to try and get a flow of hot air up in the winter. Same with AC. The basement will end up 5C cooler, you will be cold, maybe use a ceiling fan to move it.

Just thoughts off the top of my head.

said by garys_2k:

IR motion detector for a future alarm system.

All okay ideas but these 2 ideas are "for the future". As I said, I have access to the box from the back. I want something for the "now". If my needs change in the future, it won't be any extra effort to change what's in that box and what connects to it.

BTW, the ceiling is way too low for a fan

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to alkizmo

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo
A little different: »www.geekalerts.com/electrical-ou ··· ll-safe/

You could put a clock outlet there, but it would be easier to cover that hole with a nice battery-powered clock. You could get one that uses WWVB to set the clock automatically, if you are in range.

It might be a good spot for a thermostat.

Put a little indicator panel there that indicates.... bathroom in use? Strobe light for an alarm?

Smoke/CO alarm?

Wall phone?

Electronic picture frame? Maybe WiFi. You could have pictures there, or post messages. You could post the current calendar page. »reviews.cnet.com/digital-picture ··· -frames/ »www.newegg.com/Digital-Photo-Fra ··· y/ID-548 Yep... electronic picture frame with wiring hidden in the wall. That's my final answer.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to alkizmo
How about both USB chargers AND 120V outlets?

»www.firefold.com/ace-7169?gclid= ··· KB37D_cs

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms

12 recommendations

reply to alkizmo
I'd install one of these.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to stevek1949
said by stevek1949:

How about both USB chargers AND 120V outlets?

»www.firefold.com/ace-7169?gclid= ··· KB37D_cs

If I plug in an electronic device, the AC/DC adapter would just block access to the USB ports.

So far I'm inclined towards a 4-port USB plate and put a small shelf on the wall so that we can put our digital camera, usb hard drive, webcam etc on it and plug it there without our 10 month old daughter being able to reach it (unlike when it was on the desk).

edit - Someone explain to me why are ALL usb keystones made female-female? That means I need to get some male-male usb cables to hook it up from the back and those aren't exactly supposed to exist (they do, but shouldn't). What's the point?

said by nunya:

I'd install one of these.

Represents your imagination quite nicely

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to alkizmo
How about one of these?

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by TheMG:

How about one of these?

[att=1]

The conversation with first time visitors regarding that thing will sure lose its novelty quickly

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
reply to alkizmo
»www.security.honeywell.com/me/ac ··· 467.html

Biometric reader. You can replace that door with something solid and make a cool man cave.
Available in switch plate size.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

So far I'm inclined towards a 4-port USB plate and put a small shelf on the wall so that we can put our digital camera, usb hard drive, webcam etc on it and plug it there without our 10 month old daughter being able to reach it (unlike when it was on the desk).

»currentwerks.com/products-page/u ··· quattro/ will let you have lots of power for charging, but it does not serve as a hub to pass data.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by StillLearn:

but it does not serve as a hub to pass data.

Useless in this location

I can see how a bed stand location can be useful to keep the cellphones on charge.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo
A wall-mount swingarm light would be good for the computer desk since it is so small...

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by John Galt:

A wall-mount swingarm light would be good for the computer desk since it is so small...

I would like that. A USB hub can be mounted to the desk no problem.

Do they make such swingarm lights that don't require a octagonal box? I'd rather not cut the drywall more for the box since the desk might not remain there forever (maybe 5 years, who knows after).

join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA
reply to alkizmo
I'd go with a gooseneck type of lamp that you can shine down on the computer desk so you can see what you're doing.

Other option is a sconce type fixture that shines downward towards the computer. Or put a low wattage bulb in it and it can be a nightlight for the stairs.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to alkizmo
A cover with a single LED that blinks on and off so people ask, "What is that for?".

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Do they make such swingarm lights that don't require a octagonal box? I'd rather not cut the drywall more for the box since the desk might not remain there forever (maybe 5 years, who knows after).

There is a flat plate adapter that you can get at any hardware store to solve this problem:

»www.mscdirect.com/product/052348 ··· 05234877

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

»www.security.honeywell.com/me/ac ··· 467.html

Biometric reader. You can replace that door with something solid and make a cool man cave.
Available in switch plate size.

A retina scanner would have a bit more flare.

averagedude

join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to alkizmo

panic button :)
You could have a little fun...

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

3 recommendations

reply to alkizmo

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL

1 recommendation

reply to alkizmo

Flux Capcitor!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to alkizmo
Install an NSA-approved thought monitoring system.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to alkizmo
NEST Thermostat

shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Install an NSA-approved thought monitoring system.

There's already one installed. He just doesn't know it yet.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to alkizmo
Tap to the kegarator...?

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
reply to alkizmo
An access point:
»www.open-mesh.com/index.php/prod ··· cts.html
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
reply to alkizmo

He Man

@videotron.ca
reply to alkizmo
Keep it simple.

Install a doorbell. And it's perfect right next to the computer.

Anytime you want a beer (or glass of wine), just hit the doorbell.

Wife will then come down to serve you.

Voila! See. Simple and convenient.

If she complains, tell her you will install another bell that signals it time to stop nagging.

BTW, it's like 40$ a day for parking at the Royal Victoria Hospital. Frigging pricey.. *shrug*