uniqs
share rss forum feed

ceciledian

join:2003-01-10
Cedar Hill, TX
Reviews:
·WildBlue

Need satellite: Exede or Hughesnet?

I need a provider in northern Minnesota (about 5 miles west of Beaver Bay/Lake Superior) where satellite is the only option, no cell coverage either from ATT, Verizon or Sprint. I'll be using internet for VPN to my employer for telecommuting and will require the premium service offered. Reading the posts here both Hughesnet and Exede have their issues. I'm tempted by the 30 day guarantee offered by Hughes but if I decide to try Exede and it doesn't work is there any remedy to get out of the contract? I know they both have big cancellation fees. I'm also concerned about latency issues with VPN over satellite. Anyone with experience on that? I'll take any and all recommendations as I'm feeling like this is a coin toss at this point.

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

Just tell you what I have heard. Some companies that have telecommuting require employees to have a solid internet connection. By solid...I have read that some companies do not consider satellite internet to be dependable enough to support a telecommuting position. Take that statement for what it is worth.

Exede does not off the "30 day guarantee", and I suspect Hughesnet is offering it because it is something Viasat doesn't offer.

IF your only option is satellite internet AND based on the zip code you are moving to you can get Exede-12 vs. Exede-5, I would definitely consider Exede. If you are limited to Exede-5 vs. Gen4...it probably is more of a toss-up for you.

As far as VPN over Exede, I have done some limited amount of it from home. It works for basic functions such as checking email and browsing the company website. I have done no video though. And if you are going to be doing a lot of that, the bandwidth and latency of any satellite service could cause you issue, especially if you are limited to Exede-5 or Gen4.

Hope this helps!

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
reply to ceciledian

said by ceciledian:

I'm feeling like this is a coin toss at this point.

More of a crap shoot, with your conditions.

I suspect one is within Exede-12 beam, check at their site with your zip code.

VPN...that's the sticking point...how much work at home...how much bandwidth required.

I understand Cisco has an improved VPN program, for mobile users, but fat chance your company is going to fork over the dollars.

wm4bama

Goodwater, AL
reply to ceciledian

Go here, enter your zip code and see what's offered.

If you can get Exede12 it's a no-brainer...get Exede12 directly from Wildblue/Exede...don't use DishNet or DirecTv...if you can get it via a local dealer, or from a local NRTC co-op then go with them...if you can't get Exede12 (you're offered Exede5 or other plans) then it's a crap-shoot between Exede5 and Gen4 offered from HughesNet..

»www.wildblue.com/
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

ceciledian

join:2003-01-10
Cedar Hill, TX
Reviews:
·WildBlue
reply to OldSatUser

I asked our "IT guy" about sat latency problems awhile back and he wasn't even aware of the latency/VPN issue, although he mentioned there is another employee using Wildblue for after hours at home connecting. I won't be streaming, but I do need to continuously upload and download to several company programs. I think I will probably try Exede, thanks!

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

said by ceciledian:

I asked our "IT guy" about sat latency problems awhile back

If he understands that VPN program, there may be ways to twitch it.

Many VPN programs are just plain road-bandwidth-hogs...so, it really depends if theirs is twitched for Smart-Phones or not.

Yes, you can make your browser look like a smartphone...ask them

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA
reply to OldSatUser

said by OldSatUser:

Exede does not off the "30 day guarantee", and I suspect Hughesnet is offering it because it is something Viasat doesn't offer.

I suspect that the 30 day difference is due to Hughes being on the receiving end of a class action lawsuit whereas one agrees not to be a participant in a class action lawsuit with the Exede-12 contract. Although someone did document a way of getting out of his Exede-12 contract on this forum, I certainly wouldn't encourage or recommend that. I have no experience with VPNs ceciledian, so I can't help you there.
--
HT1000 - Beam 51 / Time Capsule (3rd gen), Exede 12 / Airport Express (2nd gen), OSX Snow Leopard

A Tech

join:2008-11-10
reply to ceciledian

In several areas of the country Hughesnet has twice the bandwidth available that Excede does. In the other areas the bandwidth is the same. Considering the popularity of the services I would look under this rock before taking the plunge.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to ceciledian

Are you 100% sure that there are no fixed point to point wireless (Motorola Canopy, etc) providers in the area?
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

ractar

join:2013-06-03
Henderson, TN

said by TheTechGuru:

Are you 100% sure that there are no fixed point to point wireless (Motorola Canopy, etc) providers in the area?

I'm in much the same boat, in a different location. There is a fixed wireless service, but it doesn't work in my specific location. How would I go about finding out if there are others? My zip code is 38340 and the one I did try was gowisper.net.

wm4bama

Goodwater, AL

said by ractar See Profile
I'm in much the same boat, in a different location. There is a fixed wireless service, but it doesn't work in my specific location. How would I go about finding out if there are others? My zip code is 38340 and the one I did try was gowisper.net.
[/BQUOTE :

You're lucky...I entered you zip code in the link I noted above and:

"Congratulations! Your ZIP Code is eligible for exede12,
our super fast broadband service.
Order now and get $100 off your one-time setup fee."

I think you will be better off with Exede than any wireless you may find..
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by wm4bama:

You're lucky...I entered you zip code in the link I noted above and:

"Congratulations! Your ZIP Code is eligible for exede12,
our super fast broadband service.
Order now and get $100 off your one-time setup fee."

I think you will be better off with Exede than any wireless you may find..

That depends on if you want reliability and dependability (Exede, a company that isn't going to go under randomly at any time like some WISP's) or ping times that support gaming and VOIP.

Depends on your priorities.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified