join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

1 edit

shdesigns

Premium Member

95 Suburban LS Brake oddness.

Neighbor had be come look at a brake problem. Pedal goes to the floor.

She said she has had the calipers and rotors replaced. Would have told her it was not the problem.

She picked up a booster and master cylinder of pullapart as she was convinced that was the problem.

Sounded like air in the system or bad master cyl to me. I vacuum bled about 3 oz out of the rear and 2 from the left front. I did not want to snap off the bleeder on the RF so left it. Did not have any fluid with me to do more.

Odd was when I cracked the rear bleed screw I could hear it sucking a lot of air. The vaccum bleeder pulled it out and then a bunch of fluid. Front seemed the same.

Swapped master cylinder and not much difference. When you run it, pedal goes near to the floor then you hear/feel the ABS pulsing. After turning off the car, it was gushing fluid back into the reservoir. 2nd pump the brakes will work.

THe only thing that would make sense to me is a huge bubble in the ABS unit.

I may try bleeding a lot of fluid through it tomorrow.

I was wondering if there was any special procedure for bleeding the ABS unit itself. It seems like the ABS box is storing up the fluid rather than letting the brakes work. My feeling is air or the ABS box is bad.

Any ideas?

Edit: found forum post that copied the bleed procedure Had the line:
"This procedure may use more than a pint of fluid per wheel"

Then mentions a scan tool automated bleed precedure.

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

bmilone2

I had a Dodge Caravan that had the same issue a number of years ago after the replacement of the fliud reservoir. The system was re-bleed of air and worked fine but problem came back a very short time after re-bleed. Found more air in system. Come to find out that the ABS control system is very difficult to get all the air out of due to the way the internal passages are made.

It took several days consisting of multiple bleedings (forget how many total, but alot) and finally resolved the issue.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to shdesigns

to shdesigns

There is an automated ABS Module bleed procedure, but it does require the use of a scan-tool with advanced controls. It is possible that you can accomplish the same with a pressure bleeder, or maybe even the old-fashioned way, but I can't promise it will work. The automated procedure cycles the control solenoids/valves in order to pass air out of the system.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns to bmilone2

Premium Member

to bmilone2
I did find forum posts that say you need to use a scan tool that can send the automatic ABS bleed command.

The ABS reservoirs and pump are closed off from the system unless you tell the control unit to open them up. No amount of bleeding by itself will fix the problem.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

Ya, that's what I was saying.

guhuna
Premium Member
join:2001-03-31
Benicia, CA

guhuna to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns
For what its worth I was working on a 03 GMC that had air inside the ABS unit. After multiple flushes the ABS unit still had air in it, and where I was I couldn't get my hands on a scan-tool that would put it into the automated cycle mode. So I took it down a dirt road that had nothing around and got up to about 30 and just romped on the brakes about 10 times. After the 5th time I heard a funny sound come from the ABS unit. After that I came home and flushed the system twice and lo and behold the brake peddle to the floor went away.
Its worth a shot if you don't have the scan-tool.

shdesigns