uniqs
share rss forum feed

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
reply to kungpow

Re: [BC] Shaw Go WiFi

Cisco is naturally expensive - don't forget to factor in the support plan for that stuff as well - buying the hardware is just the first step - buying support is the next one so you can get updates and stuff. Before you know it you've spent $1000.

A slightly cheaper option is Ubiquiti's UniFi series of APs - they're enterprise grade, cost only a tiny bit more than a consumer AP, but generally highly regarded for SMBs and those on a budget.

»www.ubnt.com/unifi#UnifiHardware

»ubnt.ca/en/10-unifi

kungpow

join:2002-10-06
Canada
said by tlhIngan:

A slightly cheaper option is Ubiquiti's UniFi series of APs - they're enterprise grade, cost only a tiny bit more than a consumer AP, but generally highly regarded for SMBs and those on a budget.

»ubnt.ca/en/10-unifi

I have heard of Ubiquiti too. Have you used it before? Does it work well and is it stable? I don't know anyone that's using it.

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
said by kungpow:

said by tlhIngan:

»ubnt.ca/en/10-unifi

I have heard of Ubiquiti too. Have you used it before? Does it work well and is it stable? I don't know anyone that's using it.

One of my admin friends in the US swears by them - because he has to set up remote sites with wifi, and it's much cheaper to deploy those than a Cisco. The only time he swears is when he has to set up a site with a budget that really only leaves a cheap ass $20 router.

said by kevinds:

Could be for BC Hydro's Smart-Meters too?

Or did you see the ShawOpen WiFi on your device?

Smart meters should be using 3G (cellular), not wifi. Mostly because 3G coverage is a bit better than WiFi. They may use WiFi for areas where 3G isn't available, though, but most urban areas would generally have more comprehensive 3G. Plus, 3G has less interference - if they used WiFi, some very creative people would flood it with 2.4GHz to keep the meter from reporting home and faking responses.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
900 for meter communicatiion (which could look like Aironet stuff), partially why I was curious if there was a ShawOpen signal at that location (and was the model 1550 seen on the hardware), and then cellular uplink from there.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

deathwar

join:2011-05-08
Port Alberni, BC
Yeah kevinds my phone automatically connects to shaws wifi hotspots thats why at first i was really confused as to why and where the single was coming from.

At first i thought someone might have just changed there wifi to shaw AP name, But as i was walking under the hydo pole i noticed the single was stronger then i looked up sure enough as mentioned above there was a cisco 1550 mounted along shaws cable line run along the line (about 10 ft out from the pole along the line)

Its in Such a weird spot like I said, there is no traffic here at all, no businesses around, and shaws website doesnt even list it as being any hotspots around that location. I have not the slightest idea why its there.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
Thats cool then, no idea, but the long-term goal was to have them everywhere, similar to the coverage of cell phone network

Could be their idea of where to put them, as an expirment for traffic levels and weather?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.