Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Go Cable Rox

MVM

to Go Cable Rox

Re: CRTC sez: Broadcasting as we know it will never be the same

Maybe we can get the CRTC's mandatory IPTV/ISP bundling loosened...

Go Cable Rox
@videotron.ca

Go Cable Rox

Anon

said by Guspaz:

Loosen bundling?
That's the only thing going for big telco. Nothing of any quality beats the bundle. Reminds me of this topic, »Forced suscriber to videotron

I can't see bundles being touched.

Let us even look at the Vmedia quasi-a-la-carte versus Quebecor. They are more expensive, as we saw.

The likes of Bell are only interested in getting rates raised for people on Netflix (ie force netflix to have more Canadian content, or french), or for the CRTC to do away with this mandatory issue.

All I see, at the moment, is the likes of Bell wanting a better bottom line, that is, profit, or forcing higher costs on competition.

I think Quebec may be a step ahead of Ontario (or elsewhere) since we do have skinny + a-la-carte. But I would like to do away with the mandatory or basic skinny. They suck. No one watches them.

The only other issue QC has is the forced channels if you take TMN, or other specialty chan.

In Ontario it seems the "package" is still the rule there when we looked at the what and why's of Vmedia.

So I can see some differences just by prov. But no one is forcing Rogers and Bell to be that way. They are doing it by choice, versus what Quebecor does here. So I can see the CRTC jumping on that to make a true a-la-carte across the board.

In terms about how Canada gets some shows a year after it's release in the US, people just download them or use an American VPN. How can they fix that? Don't think they can.

What else can they do? What else is there?

Reselling of IPTV? I don't see what that does for anyone. Nor would it be less expensive with an IPTV reseller.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
Would be interesting to hear George Burgers side of this. Get a feel for what he envisions.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to Go Cable Rox

Premium Member

to Go Cable Rox
By bundling he meant that for IPTV services like V Media you also need to subscribe to their internet service.

Guspaz would like to keep his TSI internet but get IPTV services from a vendor of his choice. Currently the CRTC has said no to that option.

Go Cable Rox
@videotron.ca

Go Cable Rox

Anon

said by creed3020:

Guspaz would like to keep his TSI internet but get IPTV services from a vendor of his choice. Currently the CRTC has said no to that option.

He can already do that. Vmedia offers reselling options. They already do provide their services to other ISP's. It's teksavvy who doesn't want it. Nothing to do with Vmedia.

Guspaz doesn't have to stay with TSI. He can change to any other ISP who resells Vmedia.

But, Vmedia is Ontario specific. Guspaz would also have to move out of Quebec.

So two issue here in Guspaz case, none of which is an IPTV reselling or bundle problem. It's his ISP the problem.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by Go Cable Rox :

He can already do that. Vmedia offers reselling options. They already do provide their services to other ISP's. It's teksavvy who doesn't want it. Nothing to do with Vmedia.

Guspaz doesn't have to stay with TSI. He can change to any other ISP who resells Vmedia.

But, Vmedia is Ontario specific. Guspaz would also have to move out of Quebec.

So two issue here in Guspaz case, none of which is an IPTV reselling or bundle problem. It's his ISP the problem.

It shouldn't matter what ISP I use, and the CRTC's requirement that my ISP an IPTV provider need to have some sort of partnership is ridiculous. It's an arbitrary and nonsensical requirement from the CRTC, and it's not TSI's fault (or any other ISP's fault) that the ridiculous requirement is there.

infamouskid
join:2007-01-24
White Rock, BC

infamouskid to Guspaz

to Guspaz
+1
said by Guspaz: