how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

The Red Wine Dilema

So I have a 17 + inch Asus gaming laptop. It has treated me very well for the most time I have had it. Recently it has made a transition to being more of a desktop hooked up to a second monitor and with external keyboard and mouse.

2 days ago as I was besting baddies at league with some good peeps I decided the laptop looked thirsty and dumped a large portion of a glass of wine into the keyboard.

The Skype conversation was "Oh! Shit! I dumped a full glass of win in the laptop. Im AFK!" Pull power cord and turn it off. Pull the battery. I then removed the hard drives and found a bit of residue on the outside of one.

The wine went into the keyboard and down into the computer. The mother board is flipped so the important parts are on the underside of the board but I am not sure what the effect of the spill was on the critical components.

2 days later is a complete break down of the laptop and a clean the only way to salvage the comp? Or do I just plug it in and see if it comes back to life? My success with taking apart laptops has been limited but I am willing to try if it greatly increases my chances of not having to buy a new comp. If I still run the risk of breaking things during the breakdown and clean process is it better just to give it a shot?
--
I though I had it all mapped out.
But I guess not.
This fucking black cloud still follows me around.
Its time to exercise these demons.
These mother fuckers are doing jumping jacks now.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Don't drink and drive, bro.

You might get some help at »Computer Hardware Help

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to f0rtys3ven

Water on electronics is perfectly safe......as long as the power is not on. lol

Just let it set a full 24 hours at least, maybe even put a fan on it or let it set multiple days. Make good and sure it's absolutely dry. At that point, just plug her back in and see whether you pulled that power cord quick enough or not.

Being wine, yeah, try and get the residue off from where you can.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

I know that I pulled it before I heard any sizzle. And I didn't see any adverse affects of the wine on the comp in the 10 - 20 secs it took me to realize what happened say oh shit then kill the comp.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
reply to f0rtys3ven

If nothing fried you should be OK. Sticky ness is the next big problem. Douche it with alcohol (not red wine) and let it dry out again. Qtips are about to be your best friend!

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to f0rtys3ven

Yes attempting to clean it is a good idea. If the wine you spilled had any sugar in it, that will damage a PCB board over time to being unrepairable.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

pjhofmann

join:2000-08-22
Cary, NC
reply to f0rtys3ven

Trying to dry it will help it last but their may be places you cannot dry, therefore corrosion will be your enemy over time.

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:2
reply to f0rtys3ven

Stick it in a tub of white rice to help with drying. It works for phones, I can only assume it works on a larger scale as well.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

It might help in getting moisture out but the sugars and acids (tannins) will remain and that is not good. Probably far worse than what is left from water evaporating.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

maj urinator

join:2000-02-14
Davenport, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to f0rtys3ven

1. Remove the battery and all connection to the device, including all peripherals such as mice, usb devices, ext monitor, etc...

2. Dissembled get some alcohol, and wipe everything down.

3. place everything in a vat of distilled water let it sit for a day or so.

4 dry it very well, you can try and use the dish washer to dry it all if you have a dry setting just run the dishwasher with the washer open and just use the dry setting DO NOT USE the sanitize settings or high heat.

OR

4. Dry it well, and place everything in container of rice for a few days.

5. DO NOT reassemble nad use untill the device is dry.

--
There are only 10 types of people in this world those who understand binary and those that don't.

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
join:2001-04-03
N. Absentia
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to f0rtys3ven

said by f0rtys3ven:

2 days ago as I was besting baddies at league with some good peeps I decided the laptop looked thirsty and dumped a large portion of a glass of wine into the keyboard.

Dude -- Besting baddies should only be done with a nice chilled dry summer white, perhaps a Muscadet from the Loire or a Txakoli from Spain.

You'll always run into trouble with a red.
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by mr sean:

Dude -- Besting baddies should only be done with a nice chilled dry summer white, perhaps a Muscadet from the Loire or a Txakoli from Spain.

Nonsense, an itchy trigger finger needs to be guided with a nice Bourbon on ice.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

You darn tundra dwellers need Bourbon just to keep the sled dogs happy.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by mr sean:

You darn tundra dwellers need Bourbon just to keep the sled dogs happy.

In Canada, sled dogs bring liquor to you!
--

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

The joys of being a Hoser

I used to live on the other side of the lake in Rochester. The summers were kinder than here on the Gulf Coast, but I sure don't miss the winters.
--
How you can make the world a Better Place

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by mr sean:

The joys of being a Hoser

I used to live on the other side of the lake in Rochester. The summers were kinder than here on the Gulf Coast, but I sure don't miss the winters.

Winter is pretty special, but out of all the places I've lived in Canada, winter is the easiest here.

Other than Toronto I've lived on the East Coast, in Ottawa, and Newfoundland. Ottawa being the coldest by far.
--

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for all the help. After I got it apart I couldn't find any major residue so I dusted her out cleaned up the few spots I could find and re assembled. She fired right up.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by f0rtys3ven:

IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for all the help. After I got it apart I couldn't find any major residue so I dusted her out cleaned up the few spots I could find and re assembled. She fired right up.

Great to hear, I'd make some snarky comment about putting your drink on the side table, but I'm sure lots of friends online and off beat me to it.

Cheers, I'm glad it worked out.
--

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

10 min later power cut and its not turning on now. The battery light is on for some strange reason. Was it me or the wine i now have to ponder.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

It lives again. Rollercoaster ride.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to f0rtys3ven

said by f0rtys3ven:

10 min later power cut and its not turning on now. The battery light is on for some strange reason. Was it me or the wine i now have to ponder.

That sucks ass. (pardon my language)

At this point you might want to try and backup your SSD/HDD I really hope you're not screwed, but it might be time to start thinking about plan B.
--

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

I'm at 20 min now no issues.

Pray for her!

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON

still good?

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

Still on!

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by f0rtys3ven:

Still on!

Awesome!
--

mr sean
Professional Infidel
Premium,ExMod 2001-07
N. Absentia

Psst...now loan him your bourbon...

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
reply to f0rtys3ven

Still up and running. I am hoping crisis averted.