how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

johns996

join:2009-11-05
Marquette, MI

[HSI] Running Two Cable Modems

Is anyone here running multiple cable modems on their Charter HSI? I have a big, old house and the WDS solution that I have set up now is just not reliable enough for me.

Ideally, I would like to just plug in the old SurfBoard modem that I have (recently replaced with the stock charter modem) and use that with my secondary router.

I thought I would check here before braving the "technical support" people to see if anyone has a similar setup.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
A second modem on one single account/drop (from street) will not work.
If you have the budget and coax cable run between your current modem/router and the "other" room you want your wireless router in, you could invest in a pair of Actiontec ECB2500C moca/ethernet bridges.

»www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Etherne···umber=14

I have a pair of these to get me an ethernet (cable) connection from my living room modem/router setup, to my bedroom Sony BR-DVD player, with video streaming over the net Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.

johns996

join:2009-11-05
Marquette, MI
I never knew something like that existed. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
reply to aguen
said by aguen:

A second modem on one single account/drop (from street) will not work.
If you have the budget and coax cable run between your current modem/router and the "other" room you want your wireless router in, you could invest in a pair of Actiontec ECB2500C moca/ethernet bridges.

»www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Etherne···umber=14

I have a pair of these to get me an ethernet (cable) connection from my living room modem/router setup, to my bedroom Sony BR-DVD player, with video streaming over the net Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.

There's no technical (billing is a different matter) reason it won't work, but why pay for an additional account? A non-wireless networking solution, like you suggested, would be preferable.

bshelly
Premium
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC
reply to johns996
You can have two modems on a single coax drop, however you will have two separate HSI accounts to do so. Better to go the MoCA route or you could try Powerline Networking. I currently use Netgear XAV101 and XAV2001's throughout my home. They work remarkably well. MoCA may be a better option to get an ethernet connection to the other area of your home and then you could just put a Wireless Access Point or a Router in AP mode there.

watts3000

join:2002-01-21
Have you not thought about wiring up the house with cat 5e. That way you can plug an access point in anywhere and connect it back to the core switch. Also if I were you I would be looking at Cisco or Ubiquiti access points.

»www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks···Ubiquiti

FiberWolf
Premium
join:2002-05-24
Morristown, TN
reply to johns996
I am a fan of HPNA myself. But MOCA is a good way to go as well.