spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Broken IPv6 on MI424WR Revision I

Received this router yesterday running an older firmware version. I think 40.19. something and I connected it to my network and was receiving an IPv6 address from my cable provider. Was able to view IPv6 websites and everything without a problem. Did a firmware update to version 40.20.1 and guess what, IPv6 is completely null no matter what settings I change from stateless to stateful DHCPv6 and DHCPv6 on and off on the WAN side. I checked my internet connection itself and it's still spitting out an IPv6 address and all that so it seems to be falling onto the router with metaphorical deaf ears. I spoke to Actiontec and they told me that it's up to Verizon to handle the firmware updates, so I have to wonder why they would break this feature on one of their high end routers if they are supposed to be moving forward on their IPv6 implementation. Unfortunately according to Actiontec's escalation department, the ability to roll back firmware versions was removed on the later model routers.

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

1 recommendation

tito79

Fios has not activated there ipv6 yet.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Yes but Comcast has.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
Then have this moved to the comcast forum?, We don't have IPv6 at Verizon

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

I know but it's a Verizon router used by Verizon customers who are more familiar with the settings of the router and the router itself then anyone at Comcast would be I'm sure I'm not the first one to be doing this. Since it's not a Comcast problem, posting this there would be pointless. It's an issue with the router. I mean even if Verizon isn't offering IPv6 themselves, IPv6 tunnels such as Hurricane Electric works.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Pointless here as well, we have no IPv6, its not a "Verizon" router, its an ActionTec router that has some GUI customized with Verizon colors and Icons, Actiontec, would be the only ones that maybe able to help and I doubt they have anything that is certified to IPv6

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I'm sure I'm not the first one to be doing this.

Don't be too sure of that. First post I've seen of someone trying IPv6 on Comcast with the Actiontec.
said by guppy_fish:

Actiontec, would be the only ones that maybe able to help and I doubt they have anything that is certified to IPv6

Actiontec does offer IPv6 as an OEM option. It's more likely VZ has intentionally disabled it until they're ready to roll it out.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
I spoke to Actiontec and they were quick to pass the blame onto Verizon and said Verizon would be the one releasing the firmware.

I just figure that with the amount of customers I work on now, it's good to know the ins and outs of the Actiontec router by using it myself, after all it's the best way of knowing what you're doing by living with what you fix. I figure I'll just use Hurricane Electric with an IPv6 tunnel, however I could use some help on setting up a Static IPv6 configuration if anyone has suggestions.

anon ipv6
@rcn.com

anon ipv6 to Mike Wolf

Anon

to Mike Wolf
I heard/read from a verizon tech that they will roll out IPv6 3Q 2013 and more than likely starting 8/2013.

DebiLee
@comcast.net

DebiLee

Anon

Oh this is good news, however I do have to question if that is going to have anything to do with why they broke the IPv6 support on these routers in the first place, why not just leave it functional instead of having to release yet another firmware update to re-enable it.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

1 recommendation

K3SGM

Premium Member

said by DebiLee :

why they broke the IPv6 support on these routers in the first place, why not just leave it functional instead of having to release yet another firmware update to re-enable it.

Probably because Verizon isn't ready to support IPv6, and didn't want customers messing around with their IP WAN settings that break their currently working Internet service.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Good point however it also prevents customers from using an IPv6 tunnel service in the meantime like Hurricane Electric.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

1 recommendation

K3SGM

Premium Member

I would keep trying Verizon customer service if you have a specific requirement, maybe one of their upper tier tech support people have beta versions available of the IPv6 enabled firmware, if you can show you have a need for it.

If you need it for VPN purposes, their business customer support might be better to try than their residential customer support.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

They won't speak with me since I don't have an account.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf

I have happy news. I just happen to test the auto firmware checker and came across a notice that a new firmware version was available 40.20.7 from »upgrade.actiontec.com/MI ··· EN3I.rmt and upon updating, IPv6 now works.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin

said by Mike Wolf:

I have happy news. I just happen to test the auto firmware checker and came across a notice that a new firmware version was available 40.20.7 from »upgrade.actiontec.com/MI ··· EN3I.rmt and upon updating, IPv6 now works.

Perhaps within your intranet. But FIOS has not yet enabled IPV6 on the FIOS network, although they have said they plan to at some future date.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I use the router on Comcast.
delta4
join:2001-04-30
Maple Shade, NJ

delta4

Almost the same for me on Comcast. The first IPV6 firmware worked well, then an update broke it. But then 40.20.7 update didn't fix it for me. But it has worked sporadically once or twice with no explanation.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

That's strange because the 40.20.7 update fixed the issue with the router not having a LAN Prefix, as well as both Stateless and Stateful DHCPv6 work now. What is the "Specify the method to be used to obtain your WAN IPv6 Address" that you are using? Did you change anything in that area such as using any static settings on the router before? I know that when I had used the Hurricane Electric tunnel data it would work sporaticly since the router was having trouble obtaining the DHCPv6 info from Comcast prior to the update. When the update rolled out I had restored the router to the factory settings, installed the new firmware, then set the router up again.
delta4
join:2001-04-30
Maple Shade, NJ

delta4

I tried both stateless and stateful. Instead of automatic DNS server I tried entering some Comcast ones and some Google ones...... have it back on automatic DNS under DHCPv6 and stateless. Network connections page shows its pulling IPV6 DNS of 2001:558:feed::1 and 2001:558:feed::2 but no WAN IPv6 IP.
Hooked directly to modem without router confirms I have IPv6 no problem. I show a LAN prefix. The IPv6 capable clients show a IPv6 LAN IP assigned to them.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
If I may ask a dumb question -- why are you using this piece of crap anyway?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I do home theater and network installations part time and a lot of my customers have FiOS, so I need to be sure I know my way around these routers, it's MoCA abilities, and all its quirks, first hand, and what better way to gain this knowledge?

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

1 recommendation

Pureblood

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I do home theater and network installations part time and a lot of my customers have FiOS, so I need to be sure I know my way around these routers, it's MoCA abilities, and all its quirks, first hand, and what better way to gain this knowledge?

So at the end of the day you only needed IP6 for DLNA, correct?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Nope. I have a MoCA enabled TiVo S4 and two TiVo S4's using MoCA bridge adapters. TiVo currently doesn't use DLNA and as far as I'm aware, the revision I router doesn't support it either.

I do use IPv6 while browsing the internet and more frequently then in the past, I've come across IPv6 only websites.