spc
Search similar:

uniqs
SnakeEyes
join:2005-05-18
Johnston, IA

SnakeEyes

Medicacom TiVo rollout?

Just heard that Mediacom is rolling out their whole home DVR service using TiVo and that Iowa is a soft launch market. Anyone with details on this? Boxes used, cost, etc?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Right now I do not have any details on the matter.

Bierboy
join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL

Bierboy to SnakeEyes

to SnakeEyes
said by SnakeEyes:

Just heard that Mediacom is rolling out their whole home DVR service using TiVo and that Iowa is a soft launch market. Anyone with details on this? Boxes used, cost, etc?

Some info here in press release, but thin on details - »investor.tivo.com/phoeni ··· ghlight=

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970 to SnakeEyes

to SnakeEyes
interesting
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to SnakeEyes

Premium Member

to SnakeEyes
Hopefully one can get one of these without the whole home deal. I just want one for one tv just to avoid scheduling conflicts.
»investor.tivo.com/mobile ··· =1828774

whatsounds
@mchsi.com

whatsounds to SnakeEyes

Anon

to SnakeEyes
They are doing a soft launch in Des Moines and Cedar Rapids starting 6-18-13. It will only be available as a whole home dvr at first then will allow people to get the stand alone boxes.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by whatsounds :

They are doing a soft launch in Des Moines and Cedar Rapids starting 6-18-13. It will only be available as a whole home dvr at first then will allow people to get the stand alone boxes.

rentals only? or potential to purchase and eliminate the rental fees? (except the cable card and digital "gateway" fee of course.)

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to SnakeEyes

Premium Member

to SnakeEyes
Pros

- TiVo brand
- TiVo guide

Cons

- only 4 tuners (OK for 2 rooms and no Stream)
- only 1 VOD stream (due to 1 cable card in the whole system)
- about 4 sec delay when channel surfing

Wait until Pace comes out with a 6 tuner DCT sometime later this year.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
said by thedragonmas:

said by whatsounds :

rentals only? or potential to purchase and eliminate the rental fees? (except the cable card and digital "gateway" fee of course.)

Dumb question, but why wouldn't you just purchase a TIVO from Amazon or another retailer then? I can't imagine any cable company would offer them cheaper than Amazon.

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan to Anonymous88

Premium Member

to Anonymous88
Where are those HD-DTA's? Me thinks they might be here soon as well?
EddieT
join:2010-01-16
Dubuque, IA

EddieT

I hope this means better boxes, can't tell you how many DVR boxes I had to keep getting swap out before I got a decent one.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to danawhitaker

Premium Member

to danawhitaker
said by danawhitaker:

said by thedragonmas:

said by whatsounds :

Dumb question, but why wouldn't you just purchase a TIVO from Amazon or another retailer then? I can't imagine any cable company would offer them cheaper than Amazon.

since there doing contracts any way, maybe theyd get smart and offer the unit as part of the contract.. not every one has $400 layin around for an up front purchase. (or $800 with the lifetime service, which you wouldnt need if mediacom is providing the "digital gateway" i assume any way.)

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Cable cos love rental fees! They have absolutely no interest in losing rental fee revenue.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by Anonymous88:

Cable cos love rental fees! They have absolutely no interest in losing rental fee revenue.

Canadian cable companies do. I have a friend who lives up there and he asked me recently whether we're allowed to purchase our boxes up-front. Most of the companies up there allow that.

And thedragonmas, true, but even if they would offer some kind of purchase-over-time option it would probably have some kind of interest tacked on so you'd end up paying a lot more for it than buying it outright and I'd rather just save up the $400 separately and purchase the device on my own. But, that's just me. I hate the "rent to own" concept.

sikalicious
@mchsi.com

sikalicious to whatsounds

Anon

to whatsounds
awesome! I CANT WAIT!
wth
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA

wth to SnakeEyes

Premium Member

to SnakeEyes
FYI: Mediacom techs told me they have installed 6 Tivo/Mediacom 4 tuner boxes in Iowa City.