spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Gumberculese
join:2005-03-22
Etobicoke, ON

Gumberculese

[TV] Rogers TV Guide

Anyone else notice that Rogers TV guide no longer shows you what year a movie was made? To me that was the most important part. I enjoy watching a lot of the old movies on TCM and almost always check the year of it's production. In these days of never ending movie remakes, displaying the year is a must.
Last time I called to complain to Rogers about the terrible TV guide being slow, taking 20+ minutes to update each night, I was informed that it was not their problem because the TV guide was outsourced to a 3rd party company. Tho they would not tell me who that was so I couldn't contact that 3rd party company.
Came here to get some suggestions on what can be done to have the movie year put back in the description, any help appreciated.
Thank you

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Shaw Direct.

Mike
Gumberculese
Etobicoke, ON

Gumberculese

So Shaw Direct is the 3rd party TV guide supplier? Sorry, I'm not understanding your reply.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to Gumberculese

Premium Member

to Gumberculese
Are you talking about the STB program guide? It doesn't show on the grid but if the item is selected the year is shown in brackets in the details.
Gumberculese
Etobicoke, ON

Gumberculese

STB guide, I don't know what it's called.
I hit the "Guide" button on my Rogers converter, and it brings up the blue, green and yellowish guide with 5 networks programing on the bottom half and a window of what I'm watching in the top right corner. Can scroll up and down and into the future. I highlight a movie, hit the "info" button and get a detailed description of that movie. No year is anywhere, it used to be almost the first thing listed. I've checked many movies. This is on both my HD box and my Digital box. It seems to have changed in the last couple of days.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Gumberculese

Premium Member

to Gumberculese
said by Gumberculese:

So Shaw Direct is the 3rd party TV guide supplier? Sorry, I'm not understanding your reply.

No, I'm sorry. I was being snarky.

I meant ditch Rogers and sign up with Shaw Direct. Having had Cogeco, Shaw Direct and Rogers services over the last 5 years, IMHO Shaw Direct is better. Better equipment, better service, better prices, better TV experience.

Rogers is the worst, and what I'm on now. Hate it. The NextBox is a piece of crap, their channel lineups suck and the pricing scheme is one big gouge.

I was under the impression I was not able to have a dish in an apartment. I've since discovered their tripod install, so I'm switching back to Shaw shortly.

Mike

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

They only put in the info as provided by the TV Guide provider who knows the space available. I often see the Info often cut off in the last bit where the "Actors" are listed ... some actors only seem to have first names!

»www.tvguide.com

Select international listings and Canada, then your city with Rogers.

I believe this is Rogers source ... but it is compressed for the IPG.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
Given the OP's TV guide colour scheme I think he's using a SARA based guide and not the new Nextbox one. There shouldn't be a difference in the data between the two but I'm not sure.
Gumberculese
Etobicoke, ON

Gumberculese

No Nextbox here, the story goes... about a year ago I had a slowness problem with the guide, lots of pixelation so they sent a guy and gave me a new tiny black box no display. A few months later, same problem started occurring, so again, they said they would send a truck and change the box. This time I asked the repairman, why am I getting this model box? He said "because that was the only kind he had in his truck" (two days off work now, 3rd box). This box looked like it was a lot older technology than the last tiny one.

Once again, a couple months later, lots more pixelation with this SI Explorer 3290. They say they have to send a truck to replace the box I have. If you're counting they now wanted to come put in a 4th converter box to fix this problem. I literally freak on them. Tell them I don't want a truck, and to fix it on their side because I'm not taking another day off work to meet the guy. They said call us when I have a day off and they will come fix. Within 2 days, the pixelation was gone and TV guide working up to snuff. Been going a couple months now and all seems good with this one again. (through all kinds of weather). Funny how that works huh?

@Sbrook - went to the TV guide site and that is exactly the description I get word for word.. except at the top for the year that the movie was made in. Also I don't get the whole description if it's too long, usually cuts off at the names somewhere... expected. So TV Guide has been the supplier that they wouldn't tell me who it was. Too funny.

So I'm guessing I'm SOL with this? Is it worth the phone call? Anyone think anything would be done? Or would I simply get the ole "Rogers Runaround" once again, since they seem to be a slave to what TV Guide gives them? I've pretty much had my limit of Rogers service dept. for a long, long time. Where's one of them Rogers techies that show up here now and then. This seems to be right up their alley.
quarfie
join:2013-07-04

quarfie to Gumberculese

to Gumberculese
I found this post because I have also noticed that the production year is no longer shown in the Rogers guide program info. Very annoying!

I have an explorer 8300HD and the guide is yellow and purple
Gumberculese
Etobicoke, ON

Gumberculese

said by quarfie:

I have also noticed that the production year is no longer shown in the Rogers guide program info. Very annoying!

Totally agree, other than the movie title, the year of production is the most important thing.

dave455
@rogers.com

dave455

Anon

I have noticed this too and find it very frustrating.

bjwiliams39
@rogers.com

bjwiliams39

Anon

I too hate that they have omitted the dates for all movies. It is one of the most important things to me. I don't want to watch for 30 minutes before I realize it's a remake or 10 years old.