share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

Samsung S4 rooting

I will be getting the S4 on sprint next week and I was wondering any suggestions on which ASOP is best?

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

Define "best"

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to Subaru

Best is subjective. That said, I think Cyanogenmod is the most complete at the moment for the Sprint variant.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I really don't like Cyanogenmod I've tried it before and it was just OK.. I'm not sure if any other new versions I'm using MikG on my Evo right now which again is ok but I would like to try others. I like that it has a drop down quick access settings for like wifi, Bluetooth and others.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

For that particular purpose try Quick Settings free app.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to Subaru

AOKP has the quick settings. CM is using the stock Jellybean toggle tiles afaik.
--

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Subaru

To some degree, a benefit of CM is speed (vs HTC Sense, TouchWiz, etc). A trade-off of that speed gain is a lack of some features (or tighter integration of features).

Mind you, I really liked CM or AOSP style on my Thunderbolt but I also missed parts of Sense. I've got an S3 now and so far I am staying with TouchWiz-based ROMs.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

Yeah, that's pretty much it. And while eventually some of the new innovative features are cloned into standalone apps or integrated into some ROMs, they're never really as good or as well integrated as the S-* features.

All that said, I personally much prefer a vanilla look with tons of customizations like I get with AOKP. Even for me, CM doesn't offer enough of the flexible features I want
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Hall

I remember when touchwiz got so much bad press, I think it was pre SIII phones, I haven't had any time with it, I know I hated sense and quicky changed off that to a AOSP Rom

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

I ended up just ordering my phone heh I was in no rush.. but I was wondering has it been out long enough to see what real world battery life is? For example I have a extended battery in my HTC Evo 4G and I can drain the battery in about an hour, between be checking email and searching the internet.. BT on

I figure I would check here before ordering a extended battery.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

said by Subaru:

I ended up just ordering my phone heh I was in no rush.. but I was wondering has it been out long enough to see what real world battery life is? For example I have a extended battery in my HTC Evo 4G and I can drain the battery in about an hour, between be checking email and searching the internet.. BT on

I figure I would check here before ordering a extended battery.

the longest I've done is 2 days with very minimal to almost no use. A day and a half while using it on fb, surfing, maps, gps and wifi. I turn off other features like air gestures and others that I don't have the need for it...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

The thing is driving with UPS really has me in places with poor signal which eats up the battery.

medbuyer

said by Subaru:

The thing is driving with UPS really has me in places with poor signal which eats up the battery.

poor signal shouldn't eat up battery since there's no voice, text or data that's going through...

wifi, gps, bt and other features does eat up a lot of battery.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Not sure about other network carrier but on Sprint the transmit signal goes higher the lower the signal which in turns drains the battery quicker.

When I used to be on Tmobile it's not an issue if you are not in a no signal area.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

Turn off "Mobile data". You'll still get calls and texts, but no email sync'ing, web browsing, etc.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
reply to Subaru

I ordered the gs4 for someone on AT&T and ill be putting the 4.3 leak for them. It's stable.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to medbuyer

said by medbuyer:

poor signal shouldn't eat up battery since there's no voice, text or data that's going through...

Actually, searching for 3G or 4G (with no signal) does eat up battery. Just for the records... GPS is always on. When apps actually use GPS is when it uses a more battery. Just to jump ahead, someone is going to say GPS is not always on. Sorry, there is always juice running to the chip. You can't turn that off.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

The trucks don't have aux plugs?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
reply to medbuyer

said by medbuyer:

BS. The device looking for a signal is what uses battery. The lower the sig, the higher the power needed to maintain tower contact.

Do you know anything about cell devices at all?
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to tcope

said by tcope:

said by Subaru:

The trucks don't have aux plugs?

Nope :-/ if you are really buddy buddy with the shop guy they can hook a port up, but you don't get the same truck each day.

In my case I've already did some areas that I know I have no signal.. signal is so bad the board you use to sign has no signal.. you can always tell when I have signal again as you get like 5 messages one after the other.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

Cool they shipped it UPS NDA saver will be here Monday the people over at xda told me to just let them know if I have any questions when it arrives.

medbuyer

reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

said by medbuyer:

BS. The device looking for a signal is what uses battery. The lower the sig, the higher the power needed to maintain tower contact.

Do you know anything about cell devices at all?

maybe the cellphones that you used does something like this but not with mine since having owned one 20+ years ago...

and yes, I know cellphones but wouldn't claim to be an expert on it. I based this from having owned, Nokias, Motorolas, Apple and my current Samsung S4.

medbuyer

reply to tcope

said by tcope:

said by medbuyer:

Actually, searching for 3G or 4G (with no signal) does eat up battery. Just for the records... GPS is always on. When apps actually use GPS is when it uses a more battery. Just to jump ahead, someone is going to say GPS is not always on. Sorry, there is always juice running to the chip. You can't turn that off.

I find this hard to believe....

Care to share where you got this information?

When my S4 came in, GPS was turned off. Maps and other apps won't work not until I turn on the GPS. Same way when I owned an Apple 3GS and 4.

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

If you have a poor cell signal or no cell signal, it is a huge drain on your battery and always has been since I've had my first cell phone. Ever have 1x service on a 3g/4g phone - you'd see a similar strain.

And I concur with having GPS on by itself isn't much of a drain unless you have something that is constantly looking for your location. If it's ok to use the cell tower provided location vs starting/using the GPS, it would save battery.
--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by GeekNJ:

If you have a poor cell signal or no cell signal, it is a huge drain on your battery and always has been since I've had my first cell phone. Ever have 1x service on a 3g/4g phone - you'd see a similar strain.

And I concur with having GPS on by itself isn't much of a drain unless you have something that is constantly looking for your location. If it's ok to use the cell tower provided location vs starting/using the GPS, it would save battery.

Hey Geek does the drain happen on GSM service as well? I've been on both but it seems like a CDMA device will drain a bit faster.

Also I agree with the GPS I keep mine on all the time, only a few times during the day will it update my location because I have a sat tracking program running.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to medbuyer

said by medbuyer:

Tell that to early adopters on VZW's 4G/LTE network (who had 4G/LTE-capable phones). Coupled with an under-sized battery on the first phone that supported it, HTC's Thunderbolt, and people could see ~8 hours of battery life routinely.

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
reply to Subaru

I'm on Verizon and in the US I don't have GSM enabled so I'm not sure. Someone else is better qualified to comment on GSM.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

I can't imagine it would make a difference.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to medbuyer

said by medbuyer:

When my S4 came in, GPS was turned off. Maps and other apps won't work not until I turn on the GPS. Same way when I owned an Apple 3GS and 4.

I can't answer this definitively, but I suspect the GPS chipset is still drawing minimal power when you turn GPS "off" but in this mode, it's clearly not receiving GPS data (and drawing more power in the process).

medbuyer

said by Hall:

said by medbuyer:

I can't answer this definitively, but I suspect the GPS chipset is still drawing minimal power when you turn GPS "off" but in this mode, it's clearly not receiving GPS data (and drawing more power in the process).

with my iphones, I noticed that the battery drained faster when the gps was turned on..if I added wifi, that's like water flowing in a big faucet...if both gps and wifi were turned off, battery lasted me days...

that's why I learned how to conserve battery by turning off gps, wifi and other apps that uses data that I don't need running all the time.