uniqs

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

So has anyone gotten the new MacBook Air yet?

Just wondering if anyone has got the new MBA that's now being sold. Does it really give you 9-12 hours as they suggested?
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

I can let you know next week when my new 13" MacBook Air arrives. It just left Shanghai this morning, should have it by Monday.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

Ugly

said by Riamen:

I can let you know next week when my new 13" MacBook Air arrives. It just left Shanghai this morning, should have it by Monday.

This is perhaps a rude question, so I apologize if you think it is too nosey.

But why did you order a MB for Alberta from Shanghai? ~ Are there differences in configuration between the Asian vs. N. American editions perhaps?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

They are all assembled in China and ship through Shanghai.
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

Riamen to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
When you order online they're all shipped directly from China.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to J E F F4

MVM,

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Just wondering if anyone has got the new MBA that's now being sold. Does it really give you 9-12 hours as they suggested?

Early reviews say yes.

Engadget got 12+ hours on theirs.

Cody0
Bob Vance, VR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA

Cody0 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
This is a little disappointing... I bought a MBA a couple months ago before my 6 week trip out of the country because I thought it would be handy to have. I ended up using my work laptop (that I didn't know I was being given) for most of it. I wish I would have waited. But I guess there's always going to be a new one you could have waited for...

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to Thinkdiff

MVM

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Early reviews say yes.

Engadget got 12+ hours on theirs.

i'm curious to see what the performance of "real world" time is going to be.
the biggest dealbreaker for me is the drop in performance on my mid-2011 air i7 when i fire up fusion. i have a machine that i built in fusion that runs win7_32bit and a few of my work-centric apps (mostly visio 2013 and word 2013, along with a cisco ordering/config tool) and my battery goes from about 5 to about 2.5 or so (sometimes 3). i understand that its going to happen -- but i'm hoping that the new air with an upgrade to mavericks may get me to the point where i can run a good chunk of the day without charging.

q.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
The Verge Review is out for the 13
»www.theverge.com/2013/6/ ··· nch-2013

13 hours and 29 minutes. That’s all you really need to know — that’s how long the new MacBook Air running Safari lasted running The Verge Battery Test, which cycles through a series of websites and images at 65 percent brightness. Run time in Chrome was shorter, at 11 hours and 29 minutes, but both are still ridiculously impressive. In fact, it’s the record for a laptop running our test without an external battery.

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

1 recommendation

RiseAbove to Cody0

Premium Member

to Cody0
said by Cody0:

This is a little disappointing... I bought a MBA a couple months ago before my 6 week trip out of the country because I thought it would be handy to have. I ended up using my work laptop (that I didn't know I was being given) for most of it. I wish I would have waited. But I guess there's always going to be a new one you could have waited for...

Sell it on ebay or craigslist and then buy the newer model. I did that with my 2011 and Im doing it with my 2012 as well. (shameless plug »www.ebay.com/itm/2512913 ··· 55.l2649 )

The good thing about Apple products is that they hold their value well so you can get a good amount for them year after year.
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

Riamen to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
I got my new MBA yesterday, spent last night loading up my apps and tweaking it. So far today I've been using it straight for 1.5 hours and the battery percentage has dropped 8%. I'd say Apple's claims may be an understatement. It's nice and speedy, very happy with it so far.

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by Riamen:

I got my new MBA yesterday, spent last night loading up my apps and tweaking it. So far today I've been using it straight for 1.5 hours and the battery percentage has dropped 8%. I'd say Apple's claims may be an understatement. It's nice and speedy, very happy with it so far.

do you run any virtualization apps on your mba?
honestly -- thats the biggest selling point for me. if i can get some decent battery life -- i may just upgrade.

q.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
If I get a wireless battery powered hard drive, I think my next machine might be an MBA.

Ooooh, check this out: »www.patriotmemory.com/pr ··· &type=19
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

Riamen to tubbynet

Premium Member

to tubbynet
said by tubbynet:

do you run any virtualization apps on your mba?
honestly -- thats the biggest selling point for me. if i can get some decent battery life -- i may just upgrade.

I do run VMware Fusion from time to time but I haven't tried it out yet. I have a Windows 7 VM that I've yet to copy over to the MBA. I only need it to run the VMware vSphere client which is Windows only.

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by Riamen:

I do run VMware Fusion from time to time but I haven't tried it out yet. I have a Windows 7 VM that I've yet to copy over to the MBA. I only need it to run the VMware vSphere client which is Windows only.

understood.
my windows needs are slightly more intensive - as i run a cisco punchout utility (netformx) and visio 2013 (and sometimes the vsphere client). most of my other apps are available natively in mac. once you start running the vm -- can you report on battery life? i'm really torn now between buying the new mbpr (or the newest one once refreshed) and the new mba. i love my current mid-2011 air and would love to see it with more ram and battery life.

thanks!

q.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to The Dv8or

Premium Member

to The Dv8or
said by The Dv8or:

If I get a wireless battery powered hard drive, I think my next machine might be an MBA.

I couldn't find a price or where to buy -- did I miss it somwhere?

I'm considering a similar product by Seagate (»www.cnet.com/network-sto ··· 082.html)

The Dv8or
Premium Member
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

said by The Dv8or:

I couldn't find a price or where to buy -- did I miss it somwhere?

I'm considering a similar product by Seagate (»www.cnet.com/network-sto ··· 082.html)

NewEgg has it according to Patriot.
The Dv8or

The Dv8or

Premium Member

Actually, what I'd REALLY like is a Bluetooth 4.0 wireless drive. Really saves the battery.

Cliffy
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Kitchener, ON

Cliffy to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
I'm really thinking about replacing the old unibody MacBook with a 13" Air. All the reviews say the battery is as good as Apple says. Good enough for me.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by Cliffy:

I'm really thinking about replacing the old unibody MacBook with a 13" Air. All the reviews say the battery is as good as Apple says. Good enough for me.

That's what I'm thinking.

I wonder how much I could sell my two MacBook for?? I have the 2009 unibody MacBook, and the 2011 model MacBook Air (purchased in August 2012).

12 hours is simply amazing.

The Dv8or
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Dv8or to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
Bleh. The newest MBA models only have 8GB RAM max.

Mary_Carson
join:2013-06-19

Mary_Carson to RiseAbove

to RiseAbove
Yup, the Cupertino-based company has got good branding. Their products definitely hold up. I find my iPad really useful though a bit bulky at times. Though I haven't had my hands on the MBA, what really amazed me now is how Android has lionized a large share of the market, proliferating like mushrooms after the rain.
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

Riamen to tubbynet

Premium Member

to tubbynet
said by tubbynet:

once you start running the vm -- can you report on battery life?

I copied over my Windows 7 VM last night and noticed that the battery drain was significantly higher when the VM was running. I would easily say it was dropping at twice the normal rate. Still after running the MBA for about 5 hours yesterday including copying and running the VM for about 45 minutes the battery was down to 59%. I did get some strange screen flickering when running the VM I restarted the MBA and it was fine from then on. Note: the flickering only happen when running Fusion if I closed the program everything was fine. I'm using the Fusion 5 with the latest update.

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

PCMag just tested and they said they got 15 hours of life on the MBA with a test that would make other ultraportables die after 4-6 hours. So that's an impressive datapoint.

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0 ··· 8,00.asp

Cliffy
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Kitchener, ON

Cliffy to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

I wonder how much I could sell my two MacBook for?? I have the 2009 unibody MacBook, and the 2011 model MacBook Air (purchased in August 2012).

12 hours is simply amazing.

I usually check »www.mac2sell.net/ to give me an idea. It seems to match prices on ebay.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to rjackal

Premium Member

to rjackal
said by rjackal:

PCMag just tested and they said they got 15 hours of life on the MBA with a test that would make other ultraportables die after 4-6 hours. So that's an impressive datapoint.

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0 ··· 8,00.asp

Well to be fair they tested against 3rd gen Ivy Bridge ultraportables... It's like comparing the previous gen MBA vs the new Haswell based ones...

But 15 hours is still astonishing.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to J E F F4

Mod

to J E F F4
Mine just got here. 13" 1.7ghz, 8gb, 256gb ssd

I'll geekbench and black magic it. Also battery stuff and post OS build.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by Mike:

Mine just got here. 13" 1.7ghz, 8gb, 256gb ssd

I'll geekbench and black magic it. Also battery stuff and post OS build.

Excellent.

I might hold off until next years model comes out...knowing Apple..it will be retina display.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

lol @ benchmarks and 13 hour and 41 minute rated battery.

also geekbench results
Mike

Mike

Mod

however, I will submit if you're actually doing something that requires power, that battery life dips back down to 3 or 4 hours. When you're idle it pops back up.