rceee

join:2013-06-13
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Grande Communica..

1 edit

DOCSIS cable modem drops signal fully about 50% of the time

Click for full size
I signed up for Grande Internet in Austin, TX about 6 weeks ago. The internet was fast, customer service has been friendly. I got the Double Play with 60/5 Mbps internet, and when it's on, I do get 60Mbps.

However, 2 weeks ago, cable modem started dropping signal for 30 minutes to 5 hours at a time. It was either full signal or "searching for signal" light flashing. Cisco DOCSIS Cable Model channel status screen would show all 8 channels as powered up when working; then all at 0 s/n ratio (except one, though setting it to that channel didn't change anything).

They sent out a tech. First guy replaced some wiring. Second guy replaced a jack. Third guy did something else.

I believe the second tech said something about "a lot of frequency [crosstalk/noise/something] is building up on the line and feeding back into the modem, causing it to drop the signal"; he'd found a cable that was slightly damaged and replaced it. The S/N ratio on the 8 channels went up slightly on the channel status screen, and he called it a day. About an hour later, the connection light was flashing again and the modem was searching for a signal.

The tech that came today kind of waved his arms in the air and said he was taking a shot in the dark, and changed out the cable modem. He said, "you are the only person on this particular node in your neighborhood; it must be new or something, so that's why we wouldn't have gotten any other reports if it's our external hardware that's at fault". Obviously their is a problem with something at that external network point, but they continue to send techs out and will not escalate the issue to have this properly looked at.

My boss is starting to get angry at me leaving work early so I can let the cable guy in... It's beginning to get ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I love this company, but two weeks now without internet is starting to push it. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas on why it could be doing this?

EDIT: Attaching screenshot of Cisco DPC3827 DOCSIS 3.0 screen when connection is "dropped" (last outage was 4PM today until end of day, still no signal). When connection is "on", all channels have power level near 0dBmV and S/N ratio around 41-45db. When off, all channels off except channel 1, but guessing this is some internal behavior as there's nothing coming through.

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
Has anyone mentioned referring this issue to a system/maintenance tech? If something is failing outside your home, then a service tech isn't going to be able to resolve the issue.

Try checking the signal level at different times, while your modem is still sync'd and see if any of the levels start to degrade before the modem loses sync. Hopefully, it's a gradual degradation and you can log the info with date and time. That may help your provider diagnose the issue faster. Wouldn't hurt to ask for a supervisor's contact info to keep in-touch with, if they are willing to do so.

rceee

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Grande Communica..
The tech that came out today said he was referring it to a different type of tech, who would look at the "node" or whatever it was externally that might be the cause; he stated that it wouldn't involve needing to be home or having anyone come to the house. However, when I called to check up on this, they knew nothing about it and simply scheduled another tech visit, despite seeing the full history of phone calls, tech visits, and modem failures (the modem was, incidentally, down, at the time of the call).

rceee

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Grande Communica..
reply to rceee
After 2 weeks of dropping signal completely at night, a tech made a special visit in the PM to check the signal right off the tap. Surely enough, it was a problem with the hardware on their end, so they made the decision to replace the hardware node on their end that I'm connected to. While it was frustrating to have to have six techs come out, one tech (you rock) knew what was going on; he saw that I was the only house on this particular fiber node in my neighborhood, so I would be the only person noticing a problem if it were a problem at the box. He explained it to the supervisor and they got it worked out. Kudos to Grande for stellar customer support, especially the tech that took the time to really chase down this problem.

Aside from the outages at night over the past couple of weeks, Grande has been incredible; consistent super fast internet speeds and killer cable package (with Tivo Premiere with cableCARD... what a great way to go).

Highly recommend Grande in Austin, TX!

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to rceee
Depending on where in Austin you are located with regard to Google's' proposed fiber plant, I'm sure that more than a few of the incumbents are already, or will be shortly, quite concerned about the level of their Customer's Satisfaction.

rceee

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Grande Communica..
said by aguen:

Depending on where in Austin you are located with regard to Google's' proposed fiber plant, I'm sure that more than a few of the incumbents are already, or will be shortly, quite concerned about the level of their Customer's Satisfaction.

Agreed. That crossed my mind, too. I'm right downtown so likely will be near the initial Google Fiber rollout.

Actually my signal just dropped again a few minutes ago (connecting now via a personal hotspot). The pattern that emerged over the past couple of weeks is that the signal would drop completely around 10AM-1PM, and again around 9PM-9AM. Supposedly they are going to replace the hardware; hopefully they will do it today. My worry was that they would think it wouldn't be worth replacing over a single customer (since I am the only one on that node), but I figure surely others will be on it in the future, so it must be a worthwhile investment, not to mention my revenues over the coming year.

It's been frustrating. They've isolated that the problem isn't isolated to my house; it's on their end. And the TV signal works 24/7; it's only internet, so it signals that something is wrong with the upstream, probably something small like a transistor on a circuit board, not software or firmware at the node.

But I don't want to switch to Time Warner or AT&T; they are slower AND more expensive... If Grande can just get things working 24/7, they get my vote as the best way to go in the area. We'll see I suppose.

SteveJobs

join:2012-07-18
reply to rceee
I noticed when your signal drops your only bonding to one channel, which isn't good.

rceee

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Grande Communica..
said by SteveJobs:

I noticed when your signal drops your only bonding to one channel, which isn't good.

Does that tell you anything? Any ideas on it? When it's "on", all the channels are lit up with near-perfect numbers according to what I've read (all channels have power level near 0dBmV and S/N ratio around 41-45db).

The company seems to have some communication problems; the techs that come out note that the problem isn't on my end... it's not a slow signal, I don't lose TV signal, etc, it's just the internet is either totally dropped or fully on (full speed), so the techs that come out are certain that it's something outside of the house. But I can't communicate directly with the "field techs" and there's no way to know whether they're fixing it, switching out the hardware, switching me to a different node, or what. It's very frustrating.

If it were any other company I'd have jumped ship, but when it does work, it's killer fiber internet... It's just that it's out 12-15 hours a day, on 12-15 hours a day... Over the past two weeks (of about six weeks of having the service).

It's got to be something between the house and where it connects, because everything at the house has been determined to be fine; I just wish I knew what it was and that it was being fixed. Maybe these things just take time but it's pretty annoying.

I guess I'll give it another week and if it's still doing it, I'll have to jump ship to another ISP... bummer.

SteveJobs

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to rceee
Yes, I have 30mbps cable and I'm bonding to 4 channels.

Have they rewired from the pole to your home?

The techs should be able to fix it be either
1) Sending a signal to the modem forcing it to bond
2) replace the modem
3) rewire the outside
4) Problem with the node, overcapacity or headend

rceee

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Grande Communica..
said by SteveJobs:

Yes, I have 30mbps cable and I'm bonding to 4 channels.

Have they rewired from the pole to your home?

The techs should be able to fix it be either
1) Sending a signal to the modem forcing it to bond
2) replace the modem
3) rewire the outside
4) Problem with the node, overcapacity or headend

Thanks. I don't think they can send a signal to the modem because it becomes completely inaccessible to them; the signal isn't getting to the tap.

The field tech came out randomly today while doing work at the nearby node and checked it to confirm it wasn't getting to the house at all when it's "out". They confirmed it's a problem with the node or something else on that end. Apparently they are working on it now... Took a long time but it was good to finally talk to someone who actually works in the field, as the "house" techs just kept saying the same thing–"everything looks fine here". Guess we'll see what happens.

It's been frustrating but kind of fascinating to see them isolate the problem. Guess i got "lucky" being the only one on this node, for better or worse... If it gets permanently fixed, though, should be for the better.

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA
reply to SteveJobs
said by SteveJobs:

Actually that is normal. Look at the picture - the "In Progress" entries denote that the modem hasn't fully synced yet. While doing the initial sync, only one channel is in use. Once synced, the other channels will show active.

OP - post the modem stats after it's synced.

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
Noticed that too. Looks like it's dropping the upstream. Could be noise/ingress. But, it could be a number of other things. They need to keep at and find the issue and resolve it.

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA
The pic above in the original post is a typical Cisco modem that has started babbling but yet to sync with the other end. One downstream channel active and that's it until it syncs. No information is to be gained from that.

SteveJobs

reply to craig70130
My modem syncs instantly and it always says completed when I check it.