All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mrheisman
join:2008-03-12
Wallaceburg, ON

mrheisman

New to Start, Cisco DPC3008 modem restarts daily ~7-8pm.

Hi, this is my first month with Start (switched from Cogeco). Over the past 3 days, I've noticed my (brand new) Cisco DPC3008 modem is restarting daily around 7-8pm. It usually happens when I'm maxing out my bandwidth downloading something. I'm assuming it's because of the firmware installed. I've put off calling tech support in hopes that new firmware will be pushed out. Am I correct in assuming one will be pushed out or should I go ahead and connect tech support?

I've attached my stats. Thanks in advance for you help.
jubenvi
join:2006-12-12
Sarnia, ON

jubenvi

Was the modem provided by Start or did you purchase it yourself?

Firmware is different than supported version listed on Start's web site. (Cisco DPC3008 (v302r125552-120315a))

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to mrheisman

Premium Member

to mrheisman
There are other threads in other forums on this site with people reporting issues with that exact same firmware revision.

If a new firmware was going to be pushed out, it typically does it when the modem first syncs with the network.

You might find some of the more technically-apt Cogeco guys over in their forum who might be able to force a firmware update on your modem even though you are a Start subscriber (since it's all the same physical coax network) but that ball would be entirely in their court. This could also be something as silly as Cogeco now going the Rogers route and not pushing firmware updates to TPIA-provisioned modems. If that's the case, boo to them!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to mrheisman

Premium Member

to mrheisman
Unfortunately we can't control the firmware versions or if different ones get pushed down. Only the models and approved firmware versions are tested compatible and able to be supported. If possible you may want to contact where you purchased it from to see if they can put the correct firmware on it?
mrheisman
Wallaceburg, ON

mrheisman

Hi, unfortunately the issue still remains and seeing how I had the same problem as a Cogeco customer with a different modem, I'm assuming it's a line issue. I did call into tech support because I thought the 52.0 dBmV on the upstream channel was a bit high, but they said it's within range. Well when the connection dropped tonight, I checked the log and the power level was at 54.0 dBmV and took screen shots of it.

Can anyone decipher the results? Thanks again.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

You're just barely within spec for a single return channel. If they're bonded (or attempting to bond) then 52 is the highest. Either way, 54 is far from ideal. How many splitters between the incoming line and the modem? Is it possible to disconnect internal wiring and check the levels?
mrheisman
Wallaceburg, ON

mrheisman

I live in a multiple unit dwelling, from the direct line (from the telephone pole) there's two 2-way splitters. One outside of the house and one inside my place. When I connected the modem directly to the line coming into my apartment the signal decreased to 48.0. I'd change the splitter outside (it looks old and weathered) but Cogeco has something on the cable so I can't unhook it. I don't know if it's some sort of filter or a lock.

What's the ideal range I should be at for an upstream channel?

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

said by mrheisman:

Gotcha covered: »Road Runner HSI Forum FAQ »What are acceptable Modem signal levels?

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to mrheisman

to mrheisman
said by mrheisman:

I live in a multiple unit dwelling, from the direct line (from the telephone pole) there's two 2-way splitters. One outside of the house and one inside my place. When I connected the modem directly to the line coming into my apartment the signal decreased to 48.0. I'd change the splitter outside (it looks old and weathered) but Cogeco has something on the cable so I can't unhook it. I don't know if it's some sort of filter or a lock.

You should probably call in to Start and open a ticket to troubleshoot. If 48.0 is the best you can get when connected directly to coax feed coming into your home, Cogeco may have to take a look at that splitter on the outside.

Also you're getting a lot of TLV-11 errors, not really a good sign as those tend to only happen when a modem is connected to coax but not provisioned by the carrier for use on their network (i.e. someone who would typically not have service through them would get that error when connecting the modem). Might want to confirm with Start your modem information. A

Also might want to remove the screenshot and upload with the mac address blurred or blacked out, good precaution.
mrheisman
Wallaceburg, ON

mrheisman

Thanks for the info, I'll contact tech support tomorrow and ask them to do so. Also, thanks for the advice about blacking out my MAC address.

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to repost it the same post, so I'm going to have to repost. My apologizes.
mrheisman

mrheisman

Click for full size
Click for full size
Reposted log entries after blacking out MAC address.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

do you have analog or digital TV service? if not and there's a filter installed it might be causing these issues. regardless it sounds like service call might be needed.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to mrheisman

Premium Member

to mrheisman
TLV-11 Unrecognized OID means it's not provisioned. Perhaps there's an issue with the outdated firmware and the CMTS thinks its unauthorized?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

TLV-11 unrecognised OID is when a CMTS configuration file has a setting that the modem doesn't understand, ie generally a different vendor or unsupported feature on the modem. It's not an error and comes up at a 'notice' level, ie generally a non-issue.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by rocca:

TLV-11 unrecognised OID is when a CMTS configuration file has a setting that the modem doesn't understand, ie generally a different vendor or unsupported feature on the modem. It's not an error and comes up at a 'notice' level, ie generally a non-issue.

Oh, interesting.. But I've seen it on numerous occasions myself and others posting modem logs when a modem is not provisioned, this is in the log.

Edit: At least this is the case I've seen in Rogers land... Once a modem is provisioned, I've never seen this error in logs. Could be different in Cogeco land.

Edit2: My personal experience was I had these errors before service was provisioned, and after service was cancelled, the same day modem was de-authorized, the TLV-11 popped in the log.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

They are getting provisioned though, just flaky RF - so a different issue, and the OID is just a red herring here.

This link has a good explanation »www.speedguide.net/faq_i ··· ?qid=392

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Yeah, i guess it doesnt happen in Rogers land... Hundreds of people have been posting stats of Rogers land stats, and this never pops up.
mrheisman
Wallaceburg, ON

mrheisman to jmck

to jmck
Yea, I have digital TV service.

I called in and opened a ticket. I was surprised to find out that Cogeco requires a direct connection from the modem to a computer for 24 hours (and they can tell if it's connected to a router)? I don't remember them making me do that when I was their customer. :/

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Just until the ticket is reviewed, it makes things a lot easier rather than being told the slowness is "probably the router" and further delaying resolution.
rocca

rocca to mrheisman

Premium Member

to mrheisman
I'm also still concerned by the incorrect/unsupported firmware. Did you buy that from a store in Ontario?

elitefx
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx to mrheisman

to mrheisman
Problems with Cisco dpc3008 dropping connections

Everybody has had problems with the Jan 31 2012 firmware. Needs to be rolled back to the Aug 11 2011 vanilla factory firmware. This is not an ISP network compatibility issue. The DPC3008 with the Aug 11 2011 firmware is fully compatible with all Docsis 3 networks regardless of the individual ISP's network settings. There's plenty on the web about this issue eg:
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Ba ··· /1254989
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Ba ··· /1428923
mrheisman
Wallaceburg, ON

mrheisman to rocca

to rocca
Yes, on Amazon.ca.

I don't know if the firmware is the issue as I had the same exact problem when I was with Cogeco and a completely different model modem.

Edit: Cogeco was out three times in 3 years for this problem. They even strung a new line from the pole to the house to no avail. It was the main reason why I switched to Start.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

The Cogeco-supplied DPC3008 I have at a different location has a firmware from March 2012 installed.

Still seems weird that Cogeco won't push out the updated firmware to an owned DPC3008 used with Start, when they had no problem pushing out a firmware to my own DPC3000 with Start.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx to mrheisman

to mrheisman
said by mrheisman:

I don't know if the firmware is the issue as I had the same exact problem when I was with Cogeco and a completely different model modem.

Trust me bud. I wouldn't have posted if I wasn't 1000% sure. The modem don't care what network it's on but it's CRITICAL that the firmware isn't flawed. Rogers (as an example) is famous for faulty firmware so we all know what bad firmware can cause. Read my posted links and many others available.
mrheisman
Wallaceburg, ON

mrheisman to Gone

to Gone
Yea, seems like typical Cogeco though. The good news is the modem disconnected and restarted within an hour of opening the ticket, so hopefully they'll be able to see the log.
mrheisman

mrheisman to elitefx

to elitefx
Yea, I know how important the firmware is. It just seems so strange that I've had this same problem with Cogeco. They exchanged three different modem models in three years. The problem would go away for a couple of months and come back with a vengeance.

I have my fingers crossed it's something easy like replacing the weathered and rusted splitter outside.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Teddy Boom to mrheisman

Premium Member

to mrheisman
If somebody has a DPC3008 with official firmware, I'd love the opportunity to rip it. I'd pay shipping both ways, but it would take a couple of days to get your modem back to you

(edit for clarity)
mrheisman
Wallaceburg, ON

mrheisman

I just got the call-back from tech support. Cogeco said there's "too many flaps" and to replace the modem. Wow, when I was with them they at least came out to test the line before giving up on the modem. Now I can't even exchange the outside splitter because there's a pirate lock on it.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by mrheisman:

I just got the call-back from tech support. Cogeco said there's "too many flaps" and to replace the modem. Wow, when I was with them they at least came out to test the line before giving up on the modem. Now I can't even exchange the outside splitter because there's a pirate lock on it.

i'm guessing the firmware is factoring their decision to replace it. i would try renting a DCM476 off Start and if it works buy it off them.
mrheisman
Wallaceburg, ON

mrheisman

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking into getting the current f/w placed on there. If that still doesn't work, I'l be uppppset but then I'll go with your route.