Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to bbear2

Re: Yahoo email forced upgrade (again)

Click for full size
Last night I went to check a Yahoo! classic address and instead before being able to log in, I got a screen telling me it was time to upgrade to New e-mail. I was given three choices. The default choice was labeled "Full featured (recommended)
View photo slideshows, drag and drop attachments, personalize your theme, and more." The second choice in dimmer print was called "Basic." Selecting either of the first two choices including Basic indicated agreement with the new Communications Terms of Service and Privacy Policy including the right to analyze e-mails. You have to be careful if you get this screen, because unless you read the fine print very carefully, you might think you were avoiding the new Terms of Service by selecting Basic--that is NOT the case.

The way they set this up lends credence to the idea that the whole point of this "upgrade" is just to persuade many users who are not paying attention to agree to their new Terms of Service for no added real benefit.

The third choice--in very small print at the bottom of the page-- was to select "Remind me later." Instead I just closed the window without making any selection. When I went back to it this morning, it let me log in normally without seeing this screen again. A subsequent check showed the screen back again.

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT

said by runnoft:

Last night I went to check a Yahoo!

Same here starting yesturd ay.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to runnoft

said by runnoft:

....The way they set this up lends credence to the idea that the whole point of this "upgrade" is just to persuade many users who are not paying attention to agree to their new Terms of Service for no added real benefit....

This 'SIDE-Grade' is also being discussed in the other thread/forum here, complete with a parody screengrab.

Direct Link : »Yahoo to Users: Let Us Read Your Emails or -- Goodbye!

And so far, it has not hit us yet in Canada, as of earlier today.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

So, my NEXT question (notwithstanding their New BS ToS) is :

''Is Yahoo's new Basic WebMail even CLOSE to their old Classic in appearance, function, and lean usage of CPU & RAM ?''

runnoft
Premium
Nags Head, NC

said by Davesnothere:

So, my NEXT question (notwithstanding their New BS ToS) is :

''Is Yahoo's new Basic WebMail even CLOSE to their old Classic in appearance, function, and lean usage of CPU & RAM ?''

Don't know, and I hope I don't have to find out. That's an hilarious parody screen from therube, but note that in a subsequent post in that thread you linked us to here, he notes that he bit on the offer and found that Basic is NOT as good as Classic; he wants Classic back.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
reply to Davesnothere

I cannot use any more the search function in my mail box ( a problem, cluttered with about 10000 messages) UNLESS I "UP"GRADE. I am pretty lost without the search function.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to runnoft

said by runnoft:

Don't know, and I hope I don't have to find out. That's an hilarious parody screen from therube, but note that in a subsequent post in that thread you linked us to here, he notes that he bit on the offer and found that Basic is NOT as good as Classic; he wants Classic back.

Yep, he does, and he added a screenshot later of what the new Basic interface looks like - not close enough to Classic for MY liking !

Moral of Story :

IF you are REALLY curious, then create a NEW separate Yahoo account for testing.

I still plan to go elsewhere, but as I said in one of these 2 threads, I also have issues with GMail, and later discovered that M$'s new Outlook.com site is a resource hog, even though I saw no animation while at my inbox page on a new test account there.

OY !

--

runnoft
Premium
Nags Head, NC

1 edit

I have a workaround for outlook.com because I have Office Professional 2010 which includes the Office program, Outlook; that serves as an e-mail client for outlook.com without using the resource-hogging website. For most people, though, that's impractical unless they have another e-mail app that will work with outlook.com; Outlook is not included in the reasonably priced versions of the Office suite.

Here's another alternative I read about yesterday. I have not tried this one, but I did check out the website, and what I saw in terms of plan offerings looked good: Hushmail.com. They have free and paid versions and pledge not to be monitoring e-mail, use it for marketing, or reveal it to anyone except upon court order. They reportedly use strong encryption in storage and transit:
»www.hushmail.com/services/

Expand your moderator at work

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to runnoft

Re: Yahoo email forced upgrade (again)

said by runnoft:

I have a workaround for outlook.com because I have Office Professional 2010 which includes the Office program, Outlook; that serves as an e-mail client for outlook.com without using the resource-hogging website. For most people, though, that's impractical unless they have another e-mail app that will work with outlook.com; Outlook is not included in the reasonably priced versions of the Office suite.

Yes, but as I see it, the whole point of having a WebMail account is to USE it as WebMail, so tying it to an app, even to a free one such as T-Bird, tends to defeat that objective, except for doing occasional offline retrieval and backup.

said by runnoft:

Here's another alternative I read about yesterday. I have not tried this one, but I did check out the website, and what I saw in terms of plan offerings looked good: Hushmail.com. They have free and paid versions and pledge not to be monitoring e-mail, use it for marketing, or reveal it to anyone except upon court order. They reportedly use strong encryption in storage and transit:

I have heard of Hush Mail somewhere in the past. - Must review. - Thanks.

--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to runnoft

said by runnoft:

Last night I went to check a Yahoo! classic address, and instead, before being able to log in, I got a screen telling me it was time to upgrade to New e-mail.

I was given three choices....

Yeah, it happened to me just now.

Hmmmm, I wonder how long the 'Remind Me Later' link will work ?

(It did today)

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
reply to runnoft

What Else IS There ?

said by runnoft:

....Here's another alternative I read about yesterday. I have not tried this one, but I did check out the website, and what I saw in terms of plan offerings looked good :

Hushmail.com. They have free and paid versions and pledge not to be monitoring e-mail, use it for marketing, or reveal it to anyone except upon court order. They reportedly use strong encryption in storage and transit:

During review of this useful current thread, I saw your link for HushMail again and decided to check them out too.

Observations :

I have started a new thread to discuss those, as well as for any OTHER WebMail alternatives which anyone wishes to add.

»Alternatives to Yahoo's Free WebMail - Pros & Cons