spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RustyCleaver
@optonline.net

RustyCleaver

Anon

[OOL] Optimum.net pop up ads at home(similar to Optimum Wifi ads

Is anyone else getting these? I've gotten it three days in a row now, same style small, slider ad that would show up if you logged into OOL-Wifi on say, your smartphone, but on my wired home connection.

I pay Optimum too much god damn money to be getting even one ad on my home connection. To me, this stinks of code-injection and just isn't right. Usually occurs on start up, and nothing after. Sure, it's just once, but when you're paying a company $150+/mo, once is too much.
Sutheras
join:2005-02-13

1 edit

Sutheras

Re: [OOL] Optimum.net pop up ads at home

Yes! I was just going to post about it. Two days in a row. I don't see anything in my browser plug-ins that looks like it's from Optimum. I'll probably contact them to ask if it could be stopped. Here's how it looked when I was on news.google.com. Yesterday it was on a website that doesn't have ads.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to RustyCleaver

to RustyCleaver

Re: [OOL] Optimum.net pop up ads at home(similar to Optimum Wifi

I agree with OP. We pay enough for our home service not to be subjected to Optimum ads. They are annoying enough on my iPhone 4S and there are times it freezes Safari while the ad is downloading which really pi$$es me off. I wish more sites would run "https" so that I could avoid these ads. Thankfully nobody seems to have figure out a way to inject ads into an encrypted stream (yet).

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2 to RustyCleaver

to RustyCleaver
I saw one flash on and off the screen but never came back up again after that.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe to RustyCleaver

Premium Member

to RustyCleaver
I have no seen this yet on my home connection.

RustyCleaver
@optonline.net

RustyCleaver to Sutheras

Anon

to Sutheras

Re: [OOL] Optimum.net pop up ads at home

That's the one there. As I said, it only shows up once a day for me, usually at start up. Because, ya know, I forgot who my friggin' ISP was overnight or something.

I haven't had the time to give them a call yet, but I posted this here in hopes that, if enough people give them grief, maybe it'll disappear. OOL has had a good reputation as an ISP for quite some time, but also a well deserved reputation for terrible customer service over the phone, so individual calls would probably be no better than beating one's head into a wall. None the less, as soon as I have a few minutes, I plan to give some low-wage desk support person an earful(not really. But I will point out my disappointment, and that they are far from the only ISP available around my area).

It seems to be a sigular ad, as well. I've not gotten anything different(as opposed to the Optimum WIFI ads, which are something different each time I log into one of the hotspots), this ad seems to only be for the "new optimum.net". Well, not exactly a good way to get us to visit, OOL, if anything, it makes me want to be sure to never bother using your new site
DrDark
join:2006-11-10

DrDark to RustyCleaver

to RustyCleaver

Re: [OOL] Optimum.net pop up ads at home(similar to Optimum Wifi

I had this just started happening (using a wired connection on a home computer), but its giving me the same pop-up ad in Steam, while opening a trade window (I guess because some of Steam's features (like the trade window) act like a web browser). This is the only place I noticed it, since I do not use an actual web browser on that computer (its only for playing games) and this computer uses Verizon.

how is Optimum doing this? its very annoying and worrying me, because its basically ad/spy/malware. is this some new adware from Optimum now?

I want to still use Optimum, since the wired cable is faster than using my other wireless connection, but if they are gonna continue to sneak their adware in my computer, I will have to switch over to solely using Verizon. (I can do without Optimum entirely, I don't watch TV).

I am paying over $100 to Optimum for internet (and TV I don't watch, but hey, its an un-optional part of the deal), and they have the nerve to put ads on my computer?
celicynd
join:2005-05-24
Union City, NJ

celicynd to RustyCleaver

to RustyCleaver
This just triggered for me too... honestly, I'm not too fond of them injecting code into my website views. Unless this is some mistake on their part, coupled with the connection issues I've been having during prime time lately, I'm honestly thinking of dropping them. Injecting ads for a paid service is just sleazy to me.

NoAds
@verizon.net

NoAds

Anon

The Adblock extension for Chrome or Firefox can get rid of this!

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to RustyCleaver

Numquam oblitus

to RustyCleaver
Has anyone pulled up the url for the ad yet?

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to RustyCleaver

to RustyCleaver
I'm seeing the pop up ad too. It's obnoxious considering I'm paying for the connection. Maybe I should be paid for viewing or clicking on the ad? How about a credit on my cable bill?

Other ISPs are doing it too. There should be a way to block it.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

I've tried. I've turned off all my extensions, I've turned off private browsing... and I still wasn't getting it in Safari.
Sutheras

Sutheras to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:

Has anyone pulled up the url for the ad yet?

I think it's »optimum.net/WiFi/waterma ··· viewsite. That's what the properties said.

Adding http://*.optimum.net to your restricted sites may work. I did it and rebooted and didn't see the ad. Go to Tools > Internet Options > Security > Restricted Sites > Sites and type http://*.optimum.net.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to RustyCleaver

to RustyCleaver
Technically it is not an ad
They are not trying to sell anything unlike the BS they pop up on my tv screen!
lestat99
join:2000-08-04
Piscataway, NJ

lestat99 to RustyCleaver

to RustyCleaver
If it is the same as the wireless ads it is being injected by an network appliance within their network.

Perftech is one such vendor that supplies this to ISPs.

»www.perftech.com/

Greg82
@optonline.net

Greg82 to RustyCleaver

Anon

to RustyCleaver
So apparently this was added to the ToS (I don't remember seeing this a couple months ago)

32. Watermarking:

Subscriber understands and agrees that Cablevision may use "watermarking" techniques to message you about your account, Optimum services or for other communication purposes while using the Optimum Online Service. These "watermarks" may appear superimposed from time to time over portions of website pages you visit while using the Optimum Online Service, however, you understand and agree that this in no way indicates Cablevision's approval of or responsibility for the content of such websites, which are solely the responsibility of the website operators and/or content providers. You further agree that you will not seek to hold Cablevision responsible in any way for any third party website content or the operation of any third party website accessed via the Optimum Online Service, or for the appearance of an Optimum "watermark" over a portion of any website.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to dm145

to dm145
said by dm145:

Technically it is not an ad
They are not trying to sell anything unlike the BS they pop up on my tv screen!

True...but how long until they are ads?
Sutheras

Sutheras to dm145

to dm145
I consider it an ad. They want you to visit a commercial website. That's an ad.

I installed Wireshark. The next time I restart the computer, I'll start Wireshark and wait for the ad, then I'll look for the IP address that seems associated with the ad. I think there are firewalls that will let you block IP addresses.
cabletecht
join:2012-06-08

cabletecht

said by Sutheras:

I consider it an ad. They want you to visit a commercial website. That's an ad.

I installed Wireshark. The next time I restart the computer, I'll start Wireshark and wait for the ad, then I'll look for the IP address that seems associated with the ad. I think there are firewalls that will let you block IP addresses.

The watermarking should stop shortly since the new site is almost out. It's already available from non-optimum IP's.
Sutheras

Sutheras to RustyCleaver

to RustyCleaver
This output from Wireshark may be useful. I started a capture and when the ad appeared I stopped the capture, right clicked the line corresponding to the ad, and selected Follow TCP Stream. Maybe advancing the expiration date of the cookie would delay the ad. Here's what it showed me:
GET /b/ss/cablevisionwifi/1/H.24.1/s77658222268423?AQB=1&ndh=1&t=16%2F5%2F2013%201%3A37%3A39%200%20240&ce=UTF-8&pageName=wifi%3AWatermark%3Asite%20preview&g=http%3A%2F%2Foptimum.net%2FWiFi%2Fwatermark%2Fpreviewsite&r=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2F&cc=USD&ch=D%3Dc2&server=wifi&events=event1&v1=D%3DpageName&c2=wifi&v2=D%3Dc2&c3=wifi%3AWatermark&v3=D%3Dc3&c4=wifi%3AWatermark%3Asite%20preview&v4=D%3Dc4&c12=Non-Registered&v12=D%3Dc12&c13=Not%20logged%20in&v13=D%3Dc13&c14=New&v14=D%3Dc14&c15=1&v15=D%3Dc15&c16=Cookies%20Not%20Supported&v16=D%3Dc16&c27=http%3A%2F%2Foptimum.net%2FWiFi%2Fwatermark%2Fpreviewsite&v27=http%3A%2F%2Foptimum.net%2FWiFi%2Fwatermark%2Fpreviewsite&h1=D%3DpageName&s=1680x1050&c=24&j=1.6&v=Y&k=N&ct=lan&hp=N&AQE=1 HTTP/1.1

Accept: image/png, image/svg+xml, image/*;q=0.8, */*;q=0.5

Referer: »optimum.net/WiFi/waterma ··· viewsite

Accept-Language: en-US

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/6.0; EIE10;ENUSWOL)

Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate

Host: metrics.optimum.net

DNT: 1

Connection: Keep-Alive

Cookie: s_vi=[CS]v1|28DDE29385012288-40000109200A9219[CE]

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 05:37:46 GMT

Server: Omniture DC/2.0.0

Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *

Set-Cookie: s_vi=[CS]v1|28DDE29385012288-40000109200A9219[CE]; Expires=Tue, 16 Jun 2015 05:37:46 GMT; Domain=.optimum.net; Path=/

X-C: ms-4.5.7

Expires: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 05:37:46 GMT

Last-Modified: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 05:37:46 GMT

Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store, max-age=0, no-transform, private

Pragma: no-cache

ETag: "51BD4F2A-7084-43E72F89"

Vary: *

P3P: policyref="/w3c/p3p.xml", CP="NOI DSP COR NID PSA OUR IND COM NAV STA"

xserver: www365

Content-Length: 43

Keep-Alive: timeout=15

Connection: Keep-Alive

Content-Type: image/gif

GIF89a.............!.......,............Q.;

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

1 recommendation

MxxCon

You know, you didn't have to install wireshark to get this.
All browsers have developer tools built-in that would show you all http requests, including this one.

And this is why folks you should use SSL/httpS everywhere.
Then CV won't be able to inject this bs into your sessions.
Use »www.eff.org/https-everywhere

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

I've never seen these pop-ups but I also use Adblock Plus via Firefox.

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S to NoAds

Premium Member

to NoAds
said by NoAds :

Im shocked everyone does not use this.
devicenull
Premium Member
join:2002-12-01
Piscataway, NJ

1 edit

devicenull to Sutheras

Premium Member

to Sutheras
Optimum is apparently recording your browsing history too! "previewsite&r=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com"

Looking at the source that was posted, you can add metrics.optimum.net and img.optimum.net to your hosts file to block this. Sadly, the HTTP request posted earlier was not the HTTP request of the ad itself (it was the tracking data being posted back to optimums servers), so I can't be 100% certain.
Sutheras

Sutheras

The "destination" field in the summary was 66.235.139.121. I wonder what would happen if I block the entire NetRange of 66.235.128.0 - 66.235.159.255.
66.235.139.121 - Geo Information
IP Address 66.235.139.121
Host 66.235.139.121
Location US US, United States
City Reston, VA -
Organization Omniture
ISP Adobe Systems
AS Number AS15224 Omniture, Inc
Latitude 38°96'87" North
Longitude 77°34'11" West
Distance 7927.54 km (4925.94 miles)

66.235.139.121 - Whois Information

NetRange: 66.235.128.0 - 66.235.159.255
CIDR: 66.235.128.0/19
OriginAS: AS15224
NetName: OMTR-SJ1
NetHandle: NET-66-235-128-0-1
Parent: NET-66-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Assignment
RegDate: 2008-06-25
Updated: 2012-03-02
Ref: »whois.arin.net/rest/net/ ··· -128-0-1

OrgName: Adobe Systems Inc.
OrgId: AS
Address: 3900 Adobe Way
City: Lehi
StateProv: UT
PostalCode: 84043
RegDate: 2010-10-13
Updated: 2012-12-05
Ref: »whois.arin.net/rest/org/AS

OrgTechHandle: COLES-ARIN
OrgTechName: Coles, Carl
OrgTechPhone: +1-801-722-7000
OrgTechEmail: ccoles@adobe.com
OrgTechRef: »whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ ··· LES-ARIN

OrgTechHandle: ASNE-ARIN
OrgTechName: Adobe SaaS Network Engineering
OrgTechPhone: +1-385-345-0000
OrgTechEmail: netops-neteng@adobe.com
OrgTechRef: »whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ ··· SNE-ARIN

OrgAbuseHandle: ASNE-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Adobe SaaS Network Engineering
OrgAbusePhone: +1-385-345-0000
OrgAbuseEmail: netops-neteng@adobe.com
OrgAbuseRef: »whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ ··· SNE-ARIN

OrgAbuseHandle: COLES-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Coles, Carl
OrgAbusePhone: +1-801-722-7000
OrgAbuseEmail: ccoles@adobe.com
OrgAbuseRef: »whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ ··· LES-ARIN

OrgTechHandle: BFR72-ARIN
OrgTechName: FREE, BRIAN
OrgTechPhone: +1-385-345-1136
OrgTechEmail: brfree@adobe.com
OrgTechRef: »whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ ··· R72-ARIN
devicenull
Premium Member
join:2002-12-01
Piscataway, NJ

devicenull

Premium Member

That's only the tracking servers, not the one actually serving up the ads. »www.omniture.com/en/prod ··· misation

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

1 recommendation

MxxCon to Sutheras

to Sutheras
Why did you post this? Do you even understand what you posted?
So you found Omniture's AS. Big freaking deal. Oh ya, Geo Information is super relevant! Are you going to drive to their offices and beat on their doors to demand they stop tracking you?

You are somebody who does not fully understand what they are doing yet has enough knowledge to be stupidly dangerous.

J Alert
Mayhem til the AM
Premium Member
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY

J Alert to M A R S

Premium Member

to M A R S
said by M A R S:

said by NoAds :

Im shocked everyone does not use this.

I was using Chrome and AdBlock (up-to-date) and I still saw the pop-over.
Sutheras

Sutheras to MxxCon

to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

So you found Omniture's AS. Big freaking deal.

Not fully. I don't even know what an AS is.

Are you going to drive to their offices and beat on their doors to demand they stop tracking you?

No but maybe I have a reason to avoid Adobe products. I posted it in case it helps someone who knows more than me who may be able to post instructions on how to use it to prevent the ads. All I got out of it was an IP range that I might risk blocking if I find something that lets me.

MxxCon
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

said by Sutheras:

said by MxxCon:

So you found Omniture's AS. Big freaking deal.

Not fully. I don't even know what an AS is.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au ··· ernet%29